is a futon mattress OK for vanlife?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandecat

Reaction score
Hi All, I have a single size futon mattress made of cotton (I'm not sure what's inside but the outside is cotton) and I wonder if it's ok to use in my van, if condensation won't keep it moist and then create mold. I'm coming to the RTR 2022 and feeling the pressure to be ready by then. I'm a way-new-comer, haven't lived in the van yet and will likely be a part-timer at least at the beginning.
Thanks for your insights and guidance.
Donya

It could work. I slept on a futon for years living in Southern California. You might want to consider what it is made of. Humidity and toxicity are considerations sleeping in an enclosed steel box. You probably want something that breathes, and that is made from a material that will not off-gas. I would be hesitant to use the organic cotton futon mattress I once slept on inside a van. The moisture might lead to mold after some time. I opted for a custom made-to-fit latex mattress for comfort for my aging bones and its very porous for breathability. Hoping it will do better with the potential for humidity and rot inside the steel box. I used slats underneath to encourage air flow. It was a bit pricey, there may be other more affordable options that fulfill meeting the challenges of the van environment. The futon would certainly work to get you started, which is an important consideration, and you could replace it with something more appropriate as you learn more and get a better idea on what resources you need and are willing to put into the project. Attached are images of the base of the convertible sofa/ bed structure without the 2 piece mattress(es).

Attachments

• Bed_Folded.jpg
    Bed_Folded.jpg
    882.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Bed_Full.jpg
    Bed_Full.jpg
    981.9 KB · Views: 2
Hi, Thanks for your reply. yes i have a futon frame with slats that I put in the van. That's what i was afraid of was the moisture getting into the mattress and causing mold.

Donya,
If you're in the southwest see if you can find a siding/stucco company that you can buy a length of "rain screen" from. Get as thick a screen as you can afford/find. Its meant to add an air gap to allow ventilation. I've seen other nomads use it below their mattress to help with moisture and condensation.

If your futon has slats that will also encourage airflow.

Good ventilation and a fan for air movement is your best bet to help avoid moisture issues.

Example of rainscreen :
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MORTAIR...MERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-311223477-_-N
mortair-vent-housewrap-mortair10-64_600~2.jpg

I think you should be fine in the short term with that mattress. You're wise to consider the condensation issue but as noted, good ventilation and a fan will keep the problem at bay. The RTR's in a desert climate, and low humidity helps with airing things out. I wouldn't worry about using that mattress for your trip to the RTR. If it were me I wouldn't run out and replace it before the trip. Heck, you may learn things at the RTR that will lead to making a better decision about your mattress/bedding, than you'd make if you replace the mattress before the trip.

I wish you safe travels and a fun time on the road!

And, thanks to @GntlStone for the tip about rainscreen. I'll look into that for my setup.

Last edited:
Donya,
If you're in the southwest see if you can find a siding/stucco company that you can buy a length of "rain screen" from. Get as thick a screen as you can afford/find. Its meant to add an air gap to allow ventilation. I've seen other nomads use it below their mattress to help with moisture and condensation.

If your futon has slats that will also encourage airflow.

Good ventilation and a fan for air movement is your best bet to help avoid moisture issues.

Example of rainscreen :
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MORTAIR...MERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-311223477-_-N
View attachment 29807
Thank you! Your tip is very helpful and it does sound like I can get by with my futon mattress as long as I have good ventilation and a fan. I don't have a ceiling fan but I have a little fan. And the frame has lots of slats so that should be good it sounds like. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. Blessings.

I think you should be fine in the short term with that mattress. You're wise to consider the condensation issue but as noted, good ventilation and a fan will keep the problem at bay. The RTR's in a desert climate, and low humidity helps with airing things out. I wouldn't worry about using that mattress for your trip to the RTR. If it were me I wouldn't run out and replace it before the trip. Heck, you may learn things at the RTR that will lead to making a better decision about your mattress/bedding, than you'd make if you replace the mattress before the trip.

I wish you safe travels and a fun time on the road!

And, thanks to @GntlStone for the tip about rainscreen. I'll look into that for my setup.
Good point about learning about mattresses at the RTR. That's why I'm going, right!! To learn. So thank you!! I appreciate it. I'll be working the welcome booth so maybe I'll see you all there. Safe travels and blessings!

We give off water vapor while we sleep, (especially if we stay warm). Cotton tends to hold on to moisture more than synthetic fillings. Be sure to "air out" your pad, or nasty things can grow in it.

We give off water vapor while we sleep, (especially if we stay warm). Cotton tends to hold on to moisture more than synthetic fillings. Be sure to "air out" your pad, or nasty things can grow in it.

Did you just give us a valid reason for not making the bed? 😆

Welcome to the CRVL forums Donya!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

Do memory foam and just cover the sides completely with several layers of soft throw blankets

You can get mattress covers that will keep the damp out of your futon. Then put on top of it a soft mattress pad that is washable. That pad will absorb any damp sweat your body gives off at night instead of having it go into the mattress. No exotic products are needed to keep your mattress from getting damp and developing some mildew. Those 2 items are widely available in stores that sell bedding.

People overthink these things and start looking at expensive and unusual solutions, products and materials. No need for that, you can get simpler solutions in a smaller city that typically has some shopping mall types of stores.

I did that in my old Ford Econoline for years.
Prefer firm mattresses over the super soft kind. Cannot stand those memory foam things or mattress toppers.
My futon never got mildew because I took the advice of an older guy I knew. He lived in a school bus and worked in carpentry or something. He always had good advice when it came to stuff like that.
I made sure there was circulation underneath. I had already made a plywood platform I was really proud of, so I borrowed a 2 inch hole saw (drill bit) and put a bunch of circles in the plywood at 6 inch intervals. Then I sanded those a little bit to avoid splinters.
That worked well until a big storm pulled the vent off my van and let a bunch of water in.
Of course the vent was directly above the futon!

I went old school and built a rope bed, so lots of ventalation for my mattress. I tried using a futon on the floor of my van and it was way to rigid for my old back.

That's cool

My old futon mattress
Was the worst thing I've slept on.
But memory foam is nice 🤗 except in very cold to freezing weather then it hard as a board and condensation will be absorbed and even get wet if not ventilated.
As stated earlier.
And when it's below freezing like 23 below ice crystal danglies will form from the ceiling,
from your breath overnight, some crystals will fall on face...very weird & not recommended 🥴

FWIW, I've been living in my van for 5 years, and my mattress is two pieces of foam. The bottom piece is 3 inches thick, and is fairly firm. The top piece is 2 inches thick, and is softer. No memory foam. I have drilled holes in my plywood "bed" for ventilation. The most important part was getting the bed as far off the floor as possible, not just for storage but for the simple reason that heat rises.

I did that in my old Ford Econoline for years.
Prefer firm mattresses over the super soft kind. Cannot stand those memory foam things or mattress toppers.
My futon never got mildew because I took the advice of an older guy I knew. He lived in a school bus and worked in carpentry or something. He always had good advice when it came to stuff like that.
I made sure there was circulation underneath. I had already made a plywood platform I was really proud of, so I borrowed a 2 inch hole saw (drill bit) and put a bunch of circles in the plywood at 6 inch intervals. Then I sanded those a little bit to avoid splinters.
That worked well until a big storm pulled the vent off my van and let a bunch of water in.
Of course the vent was directly above the futon!
Oh no! That sounds horrible! Thanks for the support. It looks like it's going to be OK, the futon. I have a futon frame with slats. Thanks again and take care.

That's cool

My old futon mattress
Was the worst thing I've slept on.
But memory foam is nice 🤗 except in very cold to freezing weather then it hard as a board and condensation will be absorbed and even get wet if not ventilated.
As stated earlier.
And when it's below freezing like 23 below ice crystal danglies will form from the ceiling,
from your breath overnight, some crystals will fall on face...very weird & not recommended 🥴
Strange. Thank you!

I would suggest the following products vs a plywood platform with holes. You'll end up getting mold from moisture unless you're very diligent with your airing.

I went with mattress insider's "hypervent air-flow" and the cost for a 39" wide x 72" piece twin bed size was $60.
It is 2" short of a standard twin and I could have ordered an 84" piece for $70 but I thought this was close enough.

Researching more and finding the correct google word for this, I could have saved money using "MortairVent Rain Screen" A roll of 40 ft is $109 at HD, enough to do 6(six) twin XL's. I purchased a roll as I have other projects that I can use the remainder for.
The product is almost identical with the exception of the thickness.
The mortairvent is 10mm (3/8").

I thought those of you who meet up could split the purchase of the MortairVent roll, (it cuts with regular scissors) and a twin size would only cost you $20., a queen size $40.

Having both of these products, there is virtually no difference. The Sailrite product (~8mm) is marketed for boats which have much more moisture than a van or RV (lets hope) so I think the 10mm MortairVent will do just fine.

In the photo link you can see the difference in thickness. The two products are adhered to the fabric opposite of each other but the blue stays attachedbetter.
https://vanlivingforum.com/attachments/mattress-ventilation-jpg.29085/

Latest posts