Inverters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
Does anyone have a preference among the brands of Pure Sine Wave Inverters? Aims and Xantrax seem to be the most popular. I would like either a 1000 or two thousand watt but don't want to spend a fortune.

Are you planning to run 1000 watts of sensitive, expensive, electronics?

Or are we talking about a toaster and electric skillet?

I don't perceive AIMS to be any good, maybe on par with Bestek.

Xantrex is good but terrible CS attitude.

Magnum is the best, Vanner, Victron, MasterVolt, Sterling, Outback, ProMariner but pricey.

Samlex and Tripplite solid middle ground.

I would love to know more, too.

700 watt multi cooker
Small blender/mixer/chopper/smoothie maker

I could continue to run my Surface pro 4 tablet pc off of my front small 150 watt sine inverter plugged into my cigarette plug. And of course then my cell phone.

Ideally I'd like to run all the above off of one inverter plugged into my trunk cigarette plug and eventually directly but semi permanent basis onto solar panels into 2 small 6v batteries.

The cooker will run for up to 30 minutes at a time.

My car fridge plugs into trunk cigarette plug mostly in cold winter months.

Feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks in advance
Jen

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sensitive equipment, nothing elaborate just computer and odds and ends.

Rob

What kind of computer? do you have any idea how much power it draws?

I ask because unless it is a desktop most laptops are not going to require a 2000w or even a 1000w inverter. In fact your pair of 6 volts are not going to be able to handle a 2000w load for more than a instant. Their internal resistance just will not let it happen which is why it is suggested that you have four 6 volts to run a average microwave.

Now I know it isn't easy to come up with a number but I can tell you that were I not to need the microwave, coffee pot, water heater, cooktop and other high wattage devices that I would have a Morningstar 300w PSW inverter to run my computers, TV, Satellite, hotspots, phones, etc. It has no fan to make noise and it's enough power to run say the TV, satellite and laptop all at once as well as keep a hotspot and phone charging. Being of a lower wattage means it burns less power both when it is running and when it is in stand by.

Now if you really need the BIG name pure sine wave BIG inverter, then expect to pay the BIG price for it. BIG name and little price just don't go together pure and simple. Even the Morningstar 300w is not cheap. There are lessor names that will fill your needs like the el cheapo Power Jack 3000w inverter that cost me $200. It was wonderful at running my TV/satellite, coffee pot, Microwave, etc for a year. It wasn't until I put the mechanical surge of starting a air conditioner on it that it's weakness showed up. I'm not suggesting it, rather trying to show that a little name inverter can fill your needs.

Laptop and gadget recharging should be done off DC directly, not through an inverter.

6V GC2s are great value but not small, nothing small or light will properly power any decent sized inverter.

Get a Killawatt and run your devices off it, add the loads * times and estimate an AH/24 hr budget.

Something like this Magnum Energy MMS1012 Inverter is under $1000 and might be a good solution for you. It has 3 integrated functions that often need to be purchased separately:

1) it's a 1k watt pure-sine inverter
2) it's a 4 stage battery charger
3) it's a shore power transfer switch.

Here's the Instruction Manual which starts by describing the difference between two models, that are otherwise the same...has to do with wiring installation versus plug-n-play.

I'd suggest reading through it regardless of choice, as it does a nice job of explaining things in a way that'll help you comparison shop other options...

Samlex 2000 w psw. very happy for 3 years. microwave, toaster, and coffee pot, every day.

I don't have a PSW but a Samlex is on my list....400-600W
Max.

The little bit that I would use an inverter usually happens when the Honda is running......... ;)
My tablet , radio and phones (USB micro) charge off a 12v ciggy charger..

I have an all-in-one desktop now, to be replaced after the trailer repairs,solar, and other assorted crappola that is more important. If needed I can just use my IPad and figure out how to use the cloud thing for pictures. I will have a satellite system for days days that my meds don't agree with me.

I have a generator in layaway but don't want to run it much.

Thanks for the replies.

John, that was an interesting article. Some a bit over my head but I think I got the gist.

I can't personally speak to the quality of Renogy inverters, but if price is a significant determining factor, they are having a 20% off sale for the 4th of July - 1,000 watt PSW for $215 and 2,000 watt PSW for $343 (regular pricing shown on site/shows discount in your cart). One year warranty. If I was shopping for one, I'd go with them.

tx2sturgis said:
Are you planning to run 1000 watts of sensitive, expensive,  electronics?

Or are we talking about a toaster and electric skillet?

Guess there are a few of us newbies wondering about inverters and such. My wife will want a fridge and microwave in our van. Power at the state parks won't be a problem, but, running the fridge while driving is another question. We are looking at a 700-900 watt MW and a 4.3 cu.ft office fridge. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sternwake is the 'goto' guy for detailed information, there are several others here who can also help.

Highdesertranger, Trebor English, John61CT, many others. They all have real-world experience.

Generally most of us recommend buying the 12 volt versions, if possible and practical. A 12v fridge is easy, but 12v microwaves are expensive, and not always reliable. Buying a $60 microwave and $2000 worth of solar panels, inverter, and batteries to run it is not un-heard of.

Many of us just use an inexpensive generator to run the microwave, and scale back on the solar array.

Many boondockers choose to leave the microwave at home or give it away and relearn how to cook and reheat on a stove!

If you will be hooking up to shorepower often, you can buy inverter/chargers that do two functions and simplify the wiring and you can still use solar panels for power when off-grid.

You are probably looking at a 1500 watt sine wave inverter and or inverter/charger, and 4 batteries, and at minimum, 300 watts of solar, (panels, solar controller, and all the cables and fuses)

Narrow your focus as you get closer to the build, with help from this forum.

I bought a Reliable Power 3000W pure sine inverter. It's performed excellently, with my only complaint being the DC volt meter has voltage drop at loads not representative of the batteries. Cheapest Chinese one on Ebay -- $330 shipping included. Bolts down nicely.