Introduction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisahi

Reaction score
Hello All!

My name is Lisa and I am from the North Bay area of San Francisco.  While I am not yet a full time RV dweller, I am planning and preparing to be able to take long road trips at will.  I have learned so much from this website (thanks Bob and all involved), and look forward to learning more from all of you.  I am hoping to stop by the 2016 Summer RTR in AZ with my in-progress modest 'rig' - a Honda minivan.  It will be the vehicle that will continue to allow me to focus on what I truly need/want when on the road.  I have backpacked, car camped, etc., for years, but am now dreaming of being on the road, out of doors, for long periods of time, so I guess you could say this is my new project.  I've been doing a bit of skulking on the Forums, and am not quite sure where to ask questions about the materials already commonly in use and "inventions" I'd like to try out.  I'd like to learn from all your experiences and been-there-done-that scenarios.  While I've become familiar with materials and equipment from my reading and research, I still have lots of basic questions.  If folks could direct me to the proper forum to start asking questions, I'd sure appreciate it.  Thank You!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Lisa! There isn't a proper forum to ask questions. Just look over the choices and pick the one that seems the best. The "Van" forum under "Choosing the Right Vehicle" might be good for general questions. "Life on the Road" forums are more specific. You can also start a thread in "Conversions and Modifications" to keep all of your questions in one forum and allow us to follow along with your build. Any way you do it is fine. There is no right or wrong and we'll be happy to answer your questions!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome, Lisa!!

You've got a great van to get started. Like you I did the backpacking then car camping route, but the idea of a bed inside some firm walls and off the ground really starts appealing at some point, doesn't it?

Welcome aboard the posting side Lisa.
Skulking , sounds very mysterious !
I have a feeling you might be posting many questions on various subjects?????
For now just post on the don't fit forums until you get with the flow...it's easy , you'll catch on fast !

ilovemyvan said:
Hi Lisa hi,

This is so cool. I wish you years and years of adventure.  :D
Nicole

Hi Back Nicole:  I checked out your van - beautiful - just the sort of inspiration I need.  Can you stand up straight in your van?  I've decided that is defintely on my Must Have list.  But as I said, this whole thing is going to take some time, and I'm totally in on enjoying the ride!  Happy Trails.

rvpopeye said:
Welcome aboard the posting side Lisa.
Skulking , sounds very mysterious !
I have a feeling you might be posting many questions on various subjects?????
For now just post on the don't fit forums until you get with the flow...it's easy , you'll catch on fast !

Thanks Popeye!  I'll just roll up me sleeves and get to it!
Lisa

Queen said:
Welcome, Lisa!!  

You've got a great van to get started. Like you I did the backpacking then car camping route, but the idea of a bed inside some firm walls and off the ground really starts appealing at some point, doesn't it?

Ah, Queen!  Truer words were never spoken!!  I kiddingly accused my son the other day of trying to "crush my dreams" because he was not happy with my 'sell-out' to the cushy life.  I assured him I'd still be up for he and his siblings to drag me all over God's green earth, but sometimes, a lady just wants the home comforts - like a cozy bed inside a non-leaky tent.

Your lady-in-waiting:  Lisa Hi

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums Lisa!  There isn't a proper forum to ask questions. Just look over the choices and pick the one that seems the best.  The "Van" forum under "Choosing the Right Vehicle" might be good for general questions. "Life on the Road" forums are more specific. You can also start a thread in "Conversions and Modifications" to keep all of your questions in one forum and allow us to follow along with your build. Any way you do it is fine. There is no right or wrong and we'll be happy to answer your questions!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you rvwandering.  I like the advise to choose one forum and stick to it for now.  It's easy to get lost when there are so many new cool things to consider.  And again, I'm so appreciative of folks' helpfulness with advise.  The best!!

Lisahi

my_vantasy said:
Hello and welcome from Ohio.

Hello to you too, my vantasy.  When I was a little girl, my parents, who originally hailed from Michigan, used to take us on vacation in the summer from our home state of NJ to Put-in-Bay, OH.  Good memories!!
Lisahi

The idea behind so many forums is....................

It makes it easier to find things if you are doing a search of past posts.
As well as make it easier for people to respond to things they know about.

Hello and welcome! I'm new here too, though not to the lifestyle. I lived in Sonoma Co. for a while, and found that if you park in the shade, you'll have reasonable weather most of the year. In the winter, cold can be a problem but not as much as damp humidity. In my car - and probably your van too - condensation isn't terrible, and as long as you get in the sun once in a while, neither is mold.

The North Bay is the historical center of hippie culture (not as distant a relative to vandwellers as some may wish to think!), and local gangs are more wise to car-campers than in most other places. Stealth goes a long way; I remember one night in particular, in a parking lot somewhere off CA1, watching someone in a swirly green VW bus, psychedelic curtains in the windows, getting loudly harrassed by several members of the sheriff's office, who chewed him out and sent him elsewhere. One glanced at me, two stalls over, came over to look at my plate, and ignored me from then on. I was sitting up in the back of my wagon (with very dark window tint) looking him in the eyes the whole time. Nothing to see here, officer...

BlackNBlue said:
Hello and welcome! I'm new here too, though not to the lifestyle. I lived in Sonoma Co. for a while, and found that if you park in the shade, you'll have reasonable weather most of the year. In the winter, cold can be a problem but not as much as damp humidity. In my car - and probably your van too - condensation isn't terrible, and as long as you get in the sun once in a while, neither is mold.

The North Bay is the historical center of hippie culture (not as distant a relative to vandwellers as some may wish to think!), and local gangs are more wise to car-campers than in most other places. Stealth goes a long way; I remember one night in particular, in a parking lot somewhere off CA1, watching someone in a swirly green VW bus, psychedelic curtains in the windows, getting loudly harrassed by several members of the sheriff's office, who chewed him out and sent him elsewhere. One glanced at me, two stalls over, came over to look at my plate, and ignored me from then on. I was sitting up in the back of my wagon (with very dark window tint) looking him in the eyes the whole time. Nothing to see here, officer...

Hello Back, BlackNBlue.  Yes, Sonoma County is nice, and actually green right now.  Thanks for the heads up on who to watch out for.  My sons live in Santa Cruz and it's a whole
 more relaxed there.  Safe travels!