Introduction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bast

Reaction score
Hello:
 I am not a van dweller yet. I am still looking for a vehicle and trying to save money. I have been doing a lot of research and from what I can figure out a class b would fit my needs best. I am completely mechanically  incompetent and am worried about making a mistake. What is a reasonable price for a used class b and where can I find one. I am sure this has been asked many times but any help will be gratefully appreciated.
Bast

Hi Bast, welcome to the forum :)

There's not really a definite answer to your question because there's such a huge variety of offerings out there. I think it might be more useful to decide on what you think a reasonable budget might be for you and then see what fits into it. Also decide what features are important to you and prioritize them...for example, toilets can range from 5-gal bucket + bag, to cassette style, to composting to blackwater holding tanks. And then realize that a $2000 class B might have a blacktank system that you want no part of, but putting a composting or cassette into a conversion van might get you into something more mechanically sound.

Its all about trade-offs...just keep reading and the answers will take shape ...

Bast, I am new here too, but welcome and Safe Travels.

Hi
I am really impressed with the forums. Everybody seems so friendly. You are probably right that I probably should start with a budget. I am just so scared. I do not even know what a reasonable budget should be. I will keep reading and hope I find the answers. Thanks for the welcome.
Bast

Greetings Bast and Welcome 

I have only been active here on the forums for  3mos....it's amazing all the different rigs and how they are set 
up for each owners needs. 

One of the first things I did was read all the 'Conversions" After clicking the top of the page.  
The you tube videos on"Enigmatc Nomadics" channel with Bob and them are very informative and entertaining too! Lots of pretty countryside in some of them also.

Texas Jaybird

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Bast! Start by deciding what you can afford and then go look at everything in that price range. The more you look, the more you'll learn.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome aboard Bast!
Some good responses so far , plenty more already posted ,,,,all you need to get you going.
All you need to figure out is where you want to fit yourself in !

Hello:
Wow I really appreciate all of the responses. I am a little overwhelmed. I have been thinking about budgets. I'd like to keep it at between 15 and 20 thousand. I should have that after I sell my house and retire.
Bast

The only downside to that budget range is that there's sooo many options. Good that you have plenty of time to decide, then change your mind, change it again and again... :)

Bast said:
Hello:
Wow I really appreciate all of the responses. I am a little overwhelmed. I have been thinking about budgets. I'd like to keep it at between 15 and 20 thousand. I should have that after I sell my house and retire.
Bast
The bet advice I can give you is set aside a chunk of that as an emergency fund, $3000 as a minimum and $5000 is better.

Assuming you have $20,000, first $5000 in emergency fund, then $10,000 should get you a nice Class B, use the other $5000 to go over the whole van and fix anything needing it, install solar and still have some traveling money.
Bob

Best of luck in your search.   Let us know if you find something you love and decide to pick up!

Hi Bast, Welcome here!! Just wanted to let you know that I have made plenty of mistakes (mechanically) and that's how I learned!! I have also built up something of a team concerning repairs for my vehicle. Some of them I only consult with or get advice, I have 2 mechanics. I bought a cargo van so I can get my kayak on top, which I can't do with a high top. From my experience it also seems to be the most fuel efficient. I don't worry about solar, I have access to electricity in the winter, and we don't have excessive heat in the summer. I have had a porta potty, but prefer a compost toilet. (You can't do #2 in a porta potty). The priority for my vandwelling is to pack as much fun, for me and my kids, as I can. Looking forward to seeing what you get, I am so excited for your new journey.