Introduction in strange times

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My name's Dan and I'm introducing myself from (at the moment) far away and during a very strange time.
I'm originally from New York State (near Rochester) but have worked in different parts of the US before going overseas to work in Nicaragua, Mexico, South Korea and most recently Vietnam.

In many ways I first got interested in doing some van related type living situation many years ago when I first read a small paperback called "Freedom Road". Can't remember the author! I tried a small travel trailer then and it was really a disaster. It was far enough ago that there was no internet, little support. I gave up on the idea at that time though I recognized there were different ideas to pursue. I also read William Least Heat Moon's Blue Highways which I really loved.

I have been pretty much glued to Youtube and the many channels on van life, approaches to it etc.. Currently though I'm living in Vietnam and under some pressure to leave and a need to do so in this high pressure time.

Currently, I'm trying too see of there's a way to setup something quickly in the US via a quick stop in South Dakota for consolidating my various records, license and so on. Hopefully this intro wasn't too confusing and I'll fill out more of the details in the coming days!

Thank you for reading! Hope to meet many of you in the future!

Welcome Dan to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :)

Sounds like we both started out in pre-internet times.  My story in my profile .

My websites below may be helpful for you now.

All the best.

I read Blue Highways too - and reviewed it on my Booktube (youtube) channel. Are you looking forward to getting back to the USA? Good idea to make SD your home state.

Thank you so much everyone for the warm welcome! Honestly can't believe it.....
I'm off to do some work at school here in Ho Chi Minh for the first time in almost three months. I'll be back and responding very soon!

[quote
Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :)

Sounds like we both started out in pre-internet times.  My story in my profile .

My websites below may be helpful for you now.

All the best.
[/quote]
Yes, I\'m very pre-internet and analogue in my outlook! I can remember when I would read a book, share it with a good friend and swap a book with them. Then we'd have a conversation....seems miraculous at the this time in history in many ways doesn't it? I can remember going with a friend and taking a long drive to check out a great book store in Western Massachusetts or downstate in Woodstock. Imagine!I'm very interested btw in South Dakota. I've been on both of the mail forwarding sites and even have a basic quote on the vehicle type I'd like to get (Dodge Grand Caravan). I'll post more in a couple of days as I need to call them and clarify what I can or can't do with my existing paperwork and dropping out of jet into Rapid City....more soon!

I lurk in some other forums too.  One of which has a bunch of merchant marine folks who speak of the books they read.  They have time to do lots of reading.  Some are at sea 4 months at a time.  But we have some here who may live on BLM grounds (west of the Mississippi River) in near seclusion
for extended periods and they seem to do some reading too.  But I'm sure you'll adjust or readjust just fine.

Sofisintown said:
Welcome to the forum Danflood,
Most of us are binge-watching Youtube these days.
Hopefully by the time you get back to the States things will be turning to normal again.
There are lots of knowledgeable people in this forum to help with problems and answer questions.
The cheapest state to buy a vehicle is Florida, so you may want to land there and make your way to where you will register.
Good luck and Godspeed
Thank you Sofisintown! Yes, one of the biggest blocks to returning has been the shutdown. What would be normally complicated turns into a health scare with my closest relatives or friends as well as restarting a lot of basic residency things like voter registration, transferring my existing license etc.. Sometimes it can seem insurmountable at times. I'm trying to be patient while I'm hoping things level off there. In the meantime things are ok here with social distancing not being needed and that's better than many are going through in other countries.

Thanks for the introduction and hello!

Dan

eDJ_ said:
I lurk in some other forums too.  One of which has a bunch of merchant marine folks who speak of the books they read.  They have time to do lots of reading.  Some are at sea 4 months at a time.  But we have some here who may live on BLM grounds (west of the Mississippi River) in near seclusion
for extended periods and they seem to do some reading too.  But I'm sure you'll adjust or readjust just fine.
eDJ,
Thanks for the encouragement. Good to think of more time to read and get out in nature....! Good to know the tradition's alive at least on the seas!

Sofisintown said:
For the Grand Caravan, check cargurus.com as well as Craigslist. Try to buy from the south, because up north cars are often rusted out, and Dodge is notorious for rust issues. Best of luck!
Thanks Sofi, I'll check out cargurus. The pricing on those is good and they have all of the other advantages...well known vehicle, stow and go seats, decent gas mileage etc...Thanks for the tip.

danflood said:
Thanks Sofi, I'll check out cargurus. The pricing on those is good and they have all of the other advantages...well known vehicle, stow and go seats, decent gas mileage etc...Thanks for the tip.

Sofi,
Again, thanks! Cargurus is a pretty good site. Seems to pick up some vehicles that aren't in other searches.