Interior Layout

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
Spent some hours this past week playing with a neat design program called SketchUp Make...it's a free version and was recommended by a friend who's an engineer with mad CAD skillz. Told him I just wanted to layout in 2D because I was tired of redoing graph paper over and over, but he talked me into trying this 3D program, insisting I could pick it up fast and intuitively. 

I will say that my first couple attempts lasted about an hour and ended with a bit of frustration, but I was able to ask him a few questions and discover some very simple errors I was making. Anyway, I've now got a design that consists of 10 components I made, and I can move'em around very easily now. Check out what I managed with about 5 hours of work/learning:

Box%20Layout_zpsvzhnmgrc.jpg

Box%202_zpsts06ryed.jpg

box%203_zpsl6qjsb1a.jpg

As you can see, I found some nameless, and incidentally faceless, woman in my shower. Not sure if she comes with the rig or not...

BKW,  Well cheese and rice.  Don't you know anythin'?   :D  That there is Josie The Plumber, She's famous, been on TV and everythang.    Queenie sez RUFF!       TJB

Neat program. I bet once you plug in the real numbers that your space gets eaten up quickly.

jimindenver said:
Neat program. I bet once you plug in the real numbers that your space gets eaten up quickly.

Actually everything there is laid out to exact measurements...you can see at bottom of first one that I pulled down some length markings, but every component is accurate to scale including height. Which is really the huge benefit of taking the time to do this...I can now shift things around to grid lines as needed.

The bed lift is another story...talked about the basics here: DIY Bed Lift  ...have the components, getting them assembled is still a ways off.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]As you can see, I found some nameless, and incidentally faceless, woman in my shower. Not sure if she comes with the rig or not..[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I see a subliminal message in her right hand.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The only reason I noticed that was a old lady came up to me in Lowes one time and asked me where she could find some caulk. [/font]