Interesting Strangers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggy

Reaction score
One thing about traveling, you tend to meet some real characters. I'm not a real social guy. But I've learned to be open to conversations with people that I wouldn't normally associate with.
Just yesterday I talked with a young guy that wants to change the world. He is enthused about minimalism, alternative power, small government, etc. He plans on running for President next election.
I had the side door open on my van last night and was sitting on the floor watching the sun going into the ocean. A young drunk gal sat down next to me and chatted a little. Then she said she needed to lay down a minute, crawled onto my bed, and fell asleep. I covered her with a blanket and sat on the floor reading for 3 hours. At 10 pm she woke up, thanked me for being a gentleman, hugged me, and left.
I met a rich Mexican lady that took me dancing and insisted on me staying at her house for a few nights. She is a child sex crimes investigator. She had some stories to tell!
I found a frantic old lady in a botanical gardens. Her husband had dropped her off an hour earlier and went to park the car. She had had brain surgery 2-3 weeks earlier because of a fall and said her thinking was still fuzzy. I calmed her down, sat, and talked with her for about 45 minutes until her husband finally showed up. She was a retired teacher and told me about her life.
A guy asked me for a light on the street one day. We started talking. He's a limo and Uber driver. He gets free tickets to shows and concerts. He took me to a Nahko concert with some of his friends. Had an awesome time!
The best time I had this winter was the RTR at Quartzsite. Met a lot of you fascinating people and made some friends. I'm still in touch with many of you. It's been a lifelong struggle to get past my shyness and interact with people. But the rewards are priceless.
Anyone else have stories of folks they met while traveling?

This is one of the reasons I would like to travel, to meet interesting people. Many years ago I was riding my bicycle into the Cascade mountains in Oregon to campout and met a guy riding his bicycle across the US. I ditched my plans and rode with him for 100 miles and had a good time.

O I love that, gives so much to the travel, and more stories to tell. The most interesting, coolest folks I have met on the road when I have no plan and just let the wind blow me around. Peaceful weekend.

Lots of folks. I like this aspect of the road.

In Denali I ran into three women on vacation from Fairbanks. Two friends and the mother of one of them. We got to chatting about Chris McCandless--we were on the road to the magic bus--and how many folks around there just think he was a fool for not packing a map. We watched some slides and had dinner, then parted ways. But not before they invited me to stay with them if I was ever in Fairbanks.

This exactly one of the reasons I don't understand the people who are so insistent on hiding what they're doing. I enjoy meeting the people, and while maybe not all of them are good, I think most of them are.

By not hiding I have had the pleasure of meeting many interesting people, and the opportunity to enjoy many interesting things that I wouldn't even had known existed if a local didn't tell me about them.

The big advantage shy people have is that they are good listeners, and most people are desperate to find someone who will truly listen to them.

If we can overcome that initial shyness, and get the conversation going, usually we do well because we honestly listen to the other person.
Bob

I have a friend whos bicycled all over the world.

One of this favorite 'tricks' for getting food, shelter, and showers, is to park his loaded touring bike right in the front of the grocery store, and drag out all his maps.
Sooner or later, someone will eventually ask "Say, where ya goin' there son??" or "Whatcha lookin' for??"

This gets the conversation started, and, 9 out of 10 times, an invite for dinner, shower, laundry, and a bed or couch to crash on.

This is one of the reasons I loved my jobs traveling, it's the reason I put up with the corporate world for awhile. One job I would go into people's homes for environmental testing an average of 4-5 homes a day. You learn alot about people when they are in their houses. And then on the off times I would travel and eat solo in places to meet people. My friends always freak out when they have to go out to eat solo... I love it, you build a social circle. This is one of the reasons I want to take to the road again, but on my own terms.

That is so true, Bob. In this day and age when everyone seems so distracted by technology, it's no surprise that people long to be heard. I've overcome shyness after 50+ years on the planet, but am not much of a talker and just prefer to listen. One of my hobbies when I get on the road fulltime will be writing about my adventures and the characters I meet. And I'll probably only share it with my family and friends. Some of us need to stay old school, put pen to paper and help support the USPS; I'll leave YouTube and blogging online to everybody else!

Interesting people are one of the major lures of life on the road for me. I agree that listening well, and asking enough questions to lead the talker where you'd like to explore is an art, as is knowing how to be approachable, and how to approach a stranger. If a mellow campfire in a beautiful setting, without pesty insects, is the venue where I can meet interesting kind strangers, I will be happy. RTR'18 made me deeply satisfied.  Turtle lady