Interesting Articles Relating to EVs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO it makes no sense to charge at gas station - what I am going to do while charging?

But what I see are chargers in grocery store parking lot. Makes sense, while I get food, I can "feed" my e-car.

IMHO it makes no sense to charge at gas station - what I am going to do while charging?
That's everyone question. What to do when stuck for an hour or more every day.
But what I see are chargers in grocery store parking lot. Makes sense, while I get food, I can "feed" my e-car.
So you'll buy groceries every time you need to charge your car? If you need to recharge daily, that's a lot of groceries or impulse buying.

And a lot of the chargers at grocery stores I've seen aren't near where most people are parked. So not enough traffic to feel safe at times. At least gas stations are lit up and have people coming and going often since gas cars fill up quickly.

I think like big truck companies with simple universal exchange battery for now would be the way to go. Slide the discharged one out then slide in the fully charged one in. A dispenser could be designed around a standardized battery/storage area. Drive in and then a robotic dispenser exchanges the battery in minutes if not seconds. We do it now with battery powered tools which was unimaginable just a few years ago.

Last edited:
This is an interesting article. Looks like has starting are getting the majority of the charging station money so far. It does make sense.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/...v-charging-revolution-gas-stations-1-00150894
Yes, makes total sense that we'd have an expansion of "travel centers". EVs have a shorter range, and take ~1/2 hr to charge, so shopping and restaurants and other amusements at these spots will do better than at a regular gas station.

I think like big truck companies with simple universal exchange battery for now would be the way to go. Slide the discharged one out then slide in the fully charged one in.
That could be viable for trucks. The batteries usually have sophisticated liquid cooling and heating systems which would complicate things, but swapping could likely be quicker than fast charging and would give the ability to slow charge which is more efficient.

Current batteries will charge from 10-90% in about 30 minutes.

It will be location dependent. Most people will slow charge over night unless they are traveling long distances, so the expansion will be on those corridors, rather than the local ones.

The crazy thing is that unless you have the ability to charge at home, you're paying roughly the same as gas prices to charge your EV at most fast chargers. In per mile cost.

I think like big truck companies with simple universal exchange battery for now would be the way to go. Slide the discharged one out then slide in the fully charged one in. A dispenser could be designed around a standardized battery/storage area. Drive in and then a robotic dispenser exchanges the battery in minutes if not seconds. We do it now with battery powered tools which was unimaginable just a few years ago.
Or like exchanging propane bottles.

The crazy thing is that unless you have the ability to charge at home, you're paying roughly the same as gas prices to charge your EV at most fast chargers. In per mile cost.
Expensive to build I guess. That should improve quite a bit in the future, though.

Frankly I'm amazed that electric vehicles have crossed the viability threshold already. Musk/Tesla were the only ones pushing for this until recently.

Expensive to build I guess. That should improve quite a bit in the future, though.

Frankly I'm amazed that electric vehicles have crossed the viability threshold already. Musk/Tesla were the only ones pushing for this until recently.
I doubt that

IMHO I don't think we've crossed any "viability threshold" at least outside the cities, in the so called "fly over" parts of the U.S, I still think we're 10+ years & being pushed much to fast into EVs which may or may be not the best choice.

IMHO I don't think we've crossed any "viability threshold" at least outside the cities, in the so called "fly over" parts of the U.S, I still think we're 10+ years & being pushed much to fast into EVs which may or may be not the best choice.
Most people do live in cities though... and I didn't say they were the best for everything. I guess I didn't keep track of them very much, so was surprised at how many charging stations there are... enough to go cross country just about anywhere. I'm kinda pissed because most are expensive high performance models, while the forte of EV is tiny city cars... which could be cheap and simple, have tiny batteries, be very efficient, etc. The low hanging fruit is to use less energy period, to get the job done.

Nothing to worry about, gas vehicles will be used where they make the most sense for a long time.

I posted how few high power charging stations are in S Dakota, N Dakota, Iowa & Nebraska & almost all on interstates. You're SOL if you wan't to see 2 lane America!

Only nine fast charging stations in the United States are capable of serving heavy trucks, according to data from the Department of Energy.

Transportation is the biggest source of greenhouse gases in the United States, and trucks, buses and vans account for 29 percent of vehicle emissions, according to Calstart, a nonprofit group whose members work in industry as well as government. Poorer communities tend to suffer the most from truck pollution because they are more likely to be near industrial zones or highways.

Eliminating those emissions is difficult. An electric truck requires a big, heavy battery that reduces how much stuff the vehicle can haul.

Zero-emissions trucks are also two or three times more expensive than diesel trucks, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars, although prices are expected to drop as companies increase production.

The truck makers say they are committed to selling emission-free vehicles, but environmental groups have accused them of trying to block policies that would force the industry to move faster.

This month, the Sierra Club, along with 40 other advocacy groups, sent letters to the chief executives of Daimler Truck and Volvo Group accusing them of trying to stymie stricter emissions standards. In comments on proposed regulations by the Environmental Protection Agency, both truck makers have lobbied for a slower introduction of new standards.

More:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/30/business/electric-vehicles-trucks.html

Only nine fast charging stations in the United States are capable of serving heavy trucks, according to data from the Department of Energy.

Eliminating those emissions is difficult. An electric truck requires a big, heavy battery that reduces how much stuff the vehicle can haul.
They don't have charging stations because the demand isn't there. Demand isn't there because cross-country semi hauling is one of the worst applications for EV... for the same reasons that tiny short range urban vehicles is the best.

I recently traveled to Texas (solar eclipse viewing) and noticed 2 Tesla's plugged in at our campground in Marathon. For about $40 they got to 'camp' (slept in vehicle) AND charge up their EV's overnight. Both car campers where on there way to Austin and told me that Texas (unlike some other states) have limited charging stations...thus they appreciated the ability to camp & charge at a reasonable rate.
The campground owners didn't seem to mind--remember there is plenty of GIANT RV's & Fifth wheels using a lot of electricity---as they power up their sauna's, water heaters, washing machines and double ovens. :-o

Latest posts