Interesting Articles Relating to EVs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the video for the eRV is very well done. Not biased either way, just real world first impressions of a prototype electric RV. Not quite ready for prime time, and not for sale...yet.

I really like how they integrated the charging adapters and connectors for recharging the house and chassis batteries at the RV pedestal. Very cool. I like the manageable size of that unit. It looks comfortable and well built, as far as I can tell.

Not crazy about the color..pastel baby blue....whats up with that?

The range is of course, not very 'user friendly' at only 100 miles. But I'm sure this will improve later on. I'm gonna guess that the cost (if it was actually available) would be way past $200,000. Ouch.

Let me ask a hypothetical question: At what range would it be practical for at least half of our members here? Would 300 miles be enough? 600 miles?

Remember, that kind of battery capacity could take MANY hours, or maybe a couple of days, to replenish, depending on the charging unit you are hooked up to.

And one question that is always nagging at me about any EV, but especially an eRV:

Why would I (or anyone else) want to be MORE dependent on the electrical grid than we already are?

Seems to me, that undermines our efforts to be somewhat self sufficient.

If you are 100% dependent on one power (or fuel) source, you are more likely to encounter a situation where that will fail you in the future.

Or so it seems to me.
Well thought out comment based on the fact (lost on a certain reader) that it IS A PROTOTYPE. And assuming the expected improvement might see 200 mile range, that would fit a LOT of people. But tying oneself to an iffy energy
source that may just go away some day, yes I have a problem with that if You are much younger than approaching
retirement. Fossil fuels ain't goona by available forever. But, 20 years down the road may tell a different story regarding
availability of sustainable green electricity. I'll be watching from my perch on a cloud.

G8, Yes... We all know what your opinion is. As I said, I am not going to bother with a discussion. I posted this information for people that ARE interested.
Yeah, what you said. I was having a chat with a schoolie gal and I brought up the question of 'when fossil fuels become
much less available for cooking, heat, and EV RVs are coming on line, what are we going to do? She said "wood stove".
Well, there's a good idea. If I were younger I just might invest in wood stoves.

100 MILE RANGE? Are you kidding? That's assuming it even gets that. What do you do if you run out of juice? I like to get off the freeway & see America on 2 lanes. IMHO this is the Stupidest Most Overpriced POS Idea yet. Below are maps of fast charging stations in 2 states I've gone thru many times. Nebraska has 64 & Kansas 53, N & S Dakota have 34 ea. all or most on freeways I assume. This is why I keep saying 10+ years before EVs will be viable. Not for me!
https://dot.nebraska.gov/travel/nev...-NE&fuel=ELEC&show_map=true&ev_levels=dc_fast

https://dot.nebraska.gov/travel/nev...-KS&fuel=ELEC&show_map=true&ev_levels=dc_fast
Maybe in your next life you could major in English or Literature.

I doubt it but can still do very complex math in my head. Usually you're good at one & not the other. I'll take math & great ole diesels!

I think the video for the eRV is very well done. Not biased either way, just real world first impressions of a prototype electric RV. Not quite ready for prime time, and not for sale...yet.

I really like how they integrated the charging adapters and connectors for recharging the house and chassis batteries at the RV pedestal. Very cool. I like the manageable size of that unit. It looks comfortable and well built, as far as I can tell.

Not crazy about the color..pastel baby blue....whats up with that?

The range is of course, not very 'user friendly' at only 100 miles. But I'm sure this will improve later on. I'm gonna guess that the cost (if it was actually available) would be way past $200,000. Ouch.

Let me ask a hypothetical question: At what range would it be practical for at least half of our members here? Would 300 miles be enough? 600 miles?

Remember, that kind of battery capacity could take MANY hours, or maybe a couple of days, to replenish, depending on the charging unit you are hooked up to.

And one question that is always nagging at me about any EV, but especially an eRV:

Why would I (or anyone else) want to be MORE dependent on the electrical grid than we already are?

Seems to me, that undermines our efforts to be somewhat self sufficient.

If you are 100% dependent on one power (or fuel) source, you are more likely to encounter a situation where that will fail you in the future.

Or so it seems to me.
If it were ONLY about convenience, I'm sure a lot of us might decide differently. And I am afraid the eventual price on this unit may be above my limit. But, like the couple says in the video and like it or not, EV is the future. I also think the miles will go up and the relative cost will come down. That said, because I also make decisions based on my health and that of the planet, I would personally be willing to compromise and adjust my behavior. For much of my RV life, I've tried to spend a week at one boon-docking site before moving on. And I don't really use all the solar I could have collected. If I'm at a plug-in site, that changes this dynamic. And if I'm not really in a hurry to get from A to B travel wise, I can see planning around a shorter range. Especially if I could save $$$ by getting solar charging into the equation. So...

To answer your questions: A few days, to replenish would usually be workable. - We are already dependent on Big Oil. I don't see much difference, except I CAN collect and save electricity easier than I can personally drill and refine oil. Seems to me that makes us potentially MORE self-sufficient in an eRV. - And there is nothing stopping us from using propane for "home" uses. We are now 100% dependent on fossil fuel to move our rigs. My range answer would be 200 miles.

Now, if I REALLY wanted to be self-sufficient, there is always animal power. They managed that on the Oregon Trail. Or, put another way, if our modern world went up in a ball of smoke, the eRVs would remain useful far longer than an RV waiting for more fossil fuel to be delivered. :)

Still, I would mount a big honkin 10,000 watt diesel genset over the rear bumper and have the best of both worlds! My own hybrid RV!

I could fill up the generator tank and a couple of jerry cans with fuel, charge up the eRV batteries at the local chargepoint, and head off into the sunset!

The 20 gallons of diesel fuel I bring with me into the mountains or the forests would be my 'safety net'...

Oh...and some spray paint. ;)

Many short buses have light blue interior paint for its calming effect. Apparently it doesn’t work for everyone! Lol!!!

Good discussion. I will say this though. EV vehicles is "a" future. Not "the" future. There are many other ways the future of vehicle propulsion can go, and some are closer than others.

It's like betting for that guy because he's in the lead, and that other guy finishes first. EV has a lead on other gas/diesel alternatives. But it's far from the only possible future.

I would much rather see competing tech in this arena to move it forward and keep prices reasonable.

With the huge push for everything to go electric, outside of cars, I'm certain one thing will be true in 50 years.

We'll be complaining about the evil electric companies, and them stifling non electric tech. Just the same as we did about oil companies. When everything requires what only you supply, companies act silly.

Think I'm wrong? Look at Internet, cable TV, Cell phone companies. You can't cut the cable if the cable runs everything in your life. Car. House. Job. Communication. Safety. Cooking. Etc.

Not a conspiracy theory. Just looking at the relatively recent past and current situations to inform what is likely to be.

100 MILE RANGE? Are you...the Stupidest Most Overpriced POS... I keep saying 10+ years before EVs will be viable...
In Canada, semi-truck manufacturer EDISON MOTORS anticipates unlimited range.
Their rig uses a small genset to charge the massive bank on inclines.
On declines, regen charges the bank with less dependence on the onboard genset.
I am impressed by their reluctance to hire engineers.
Pretty much the entire vehicle is designed by mechanics, and designed to be repaired by the vehicle owner in the driveway.
Say 'goodbye' to the idiocy of 'only the dealer can fix it' (looking at you, John Deere):

And they offer kits to convert your pick-up truck.
And they give EdisonMotors go-kart kits to schools all over North America.

Good discussion. I will say this though. EV vehicles is "a" future. Not "the" future. There are many other ways the future of vehicle propulsion can go, and some are closer than others.

It's like betting for that guy because he's in the lead, and that other guy finishes first. EV has a lead on other gas/diesel alternatives. But it's far from the only possible future.

I would much rather see competing tech in this arena to move it forward and keep prices reasonable.

With the huge push for everything to go electric, outside of cars, I'm certain one thing will be true in 50 years.

We'll be complaining about the evil electric companies, and them stifling non electric tech. Just the same as we did about oil companies. When everything requires what only you supply, companies act silly.

Think I'm wrong? Look at Internet, cable TV, Cell phone companies. You can't cut the cable if the cable runs everything in your life. Car. House. Job. Communication. Safety. Cooking. Etc.

Not a conspiracy theory. Just looking at the relatively recent past and current situations to inform what is likely to be.

Are electric vehicles the only possible answer for a clean transportation network? Probably not. And when someone demonstrates a working Dilithium Crystal Energy RV Engine that does not pollute or blow up the Earth, I'll be all in. Sure, technology marches on, and I am all in favor of that. Nor do any of us know what future breakthroughs might come along. But, right now, it seems to me that EVs are closer to a nonpolluting and viable transportation option than anything else I have heard of or seen actually on the road.

I almost didn't graduate high school because of stupid engineers. I took a 3 year auto shop program. The Chev Monsa was designed for a rotary aka wankel engine. Chev changed to a V8 at the last minute because the wankel's main seal wore out at apron 60k miles. You had to pull thr V8 3-4" to change the plugs & I broke one. The instructor said I'd have to pay the $1.50 for it & I refused. He made me sit in the classroom for 2 weeks & said I wouldn't graduate. Almost at the end he offered to personally split the $1.50 so we did. I've dealt with many engineers & architects, the newer ones seem to have less & less common sense. Now with the internet regular people can find engineering answers.

Last edited:
... anticipates unlimited range ...
Their rig uses a small genset to charge the massive bank on inclines.
On declines, regen charges the bank with less dependence on the onboard genset.
I am impressed by their reluctance to hire engineers.

Good they don't hire engineers, because they would tell them that perpetual motion is against the laws of physics. Such car would lose energy on flat parts (friction), downhill (not all potential energy is converted to electricity because of not 100% effective conversion (some will became heat), and of course uphill (not 100% energy is released from the battery as electricity, some is heat.

BTW I am not sure why this site uses non-standard styling, where links are not underlined (so is hard to see if any part of the text is a hyperlink), and visited links don't change the color. "perpetual motion" is a link to wikipedia.

Are electric vehicles the only possible answer for a clean transportation network? Probably not. And when someone demonstrates a working Dilithium Crystal Energy RV Engine that does not pollute or blow up the Earth, I'll be all in. Sure, technology marches on, and I am all in favor of that. Nor do any of us know what future breakthroughs might come along. But, right now, it seems to me that EVs are closer to a nonpolluting and viable transportation option than anything else I have heard of or seen actually on the road.
So you agree with me. Cool.

Popularity of the EV vehicles for vandwellers could be overcome with few magic ... err, "sufficiently advanced" .... technologies.

I invoke 3rd Clarke's law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

1) If EV had lighter battery, we could haul along more capacity for longer range.
2) If solar panels were much cheaper, we can recharge off-grid. We even don't need the grid at all.

First is under development. After 100 years of barely any progress, we have LiFePO4. Hopefully progress will continue. I mentioned before, Aluminium-air battery has higher energy density than lithium-based batteries.

Second is also: material scientist are working on solar panels which can be PAINTED on stuff. Paint itself captures electricity. Of course it is less effective that solar panels - because panels were invented to power electronics in outer space, so wats per weight are important. If you can paint solar panel on a tarp, it would be easier to recharge your eRV, even run AC.

And third: if we find out better way to capture solar energy, like algae which produce oil butanol, diesel fuel, we can have our hybrids and save the climate too. Sun sends us tremendous amount of energy, more than enough if we found a way to harvest and store it. Fossil fuels is simplest, stupidest way to use it. But with such algae, we don't even need to change our system. Just instead of drilling for oil, we could grow it in vats.

Popularity of the EV vehicles for vandwellers could be overcome with few magic ... err, "sufficiently advanced" .... technologies.

I invoke 3rd Clarke's law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

1) If EV had lighter battery, we could haul along more capacity for longer range.
2) If solar panels were much cheaper, we can recharge off-grid. We even don't need the grid at all.

First is under development. After 100 years of barely any progress, we have LiFePO4. Hopefully progress will continue. I mentioned before, Aluminium-air battery has higher energy density than lithium-based batteries.

Second is also: material scientist are working on solar panels which can be PAINTED on stuff. Paint itself captures electricity. Of course it is less effective that solar panels - because panels were invented to power electronics in outer space, so wats per weight are important. If you can paint solar panel on a tarp, it would be easier to recharge your eRV, even run AC.

And third: if we find out better way to capture solar energy, like algae which produce oil butanol, diesel fuel, we can have our hybrids and save the climate too. Sun sends us tremendous amount of energy, more than enough if we found a way to harvest and store it. Fossil fuels is simplest, stupidest way to use it. But with such algae, we don't even need to change our system. Just instead of drilling for oil, we could grow it in vats.
All good points!!!

In any combustion process or any fuel generation system (from extraction to end use) we just need to keep carbon (or more specifically - carbon dioxide) in mind. Releasing it into the atmosphere is a BAD idea. As is releasing any associated pollutants. I could run down the list and problems with each but we can all "google" or "AI" answers these days. It seems to me the question should be which is the cleanest and is still cost effective and are we willing to modify our behavior. We SHOULD continue looking for new and better answers. But, for right now we do have EVs that are ready or nearly so and which are a step in the right direction.

We've done a good job of reducing pollution in the last 50 years as shown below. Short read.

As of 2022, emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx) had reduced by more than 70 percent since 1970 to 7.4 million tons. Sulfur dioxide (SO2) emissions have also fallen dramatically in recent decades, dropping from 23 million tons to 1.8 million tons between 1990 and 2022.Jan 19, 2024

Or the long read https://www.triplepundit.com/story/2017/1970-air-pollution-down-73-economy-tripled/15991

Last edited:
We've done a good job of reducing pollution in the last 50 years as shown below.

As of 2022, emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx) had reduced by more than 70 percent since 1970 to 7.4 million tons. Sulfur dioxide (SO2) emissions have also fallen dramatically in recent decades, dropping from 23 million tons to 1.8 million tons between 1990 and 2022.Jan 19, 2024
And introduced some new pollutants. Eg. from extracting lithium