Insurance for non-pro conversion?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DudeInAVan

Reaction score
I'm having an impossible time finding full-timer coverage for a self-conversion in Nevada. By any chance, does anyone here have any suggestions? I'm even open to considering other states at this point, if that's what it takes. That is, assuming there are *any* states at this point that are friendly with builds not done by a pro shop.

I actually designed my van build to work as a remote work vehicle. It has solar and a full bathroom. It does this so that I can go on construction jobs with all my battery powered tools and work off grid. It has it's own bathroom so that I never have to ask a customer if I can use theirs. I can yank all the camping gear out of it, scatter tools and materials in it, and show that it's not an RV. I built it modular. It's like the new designs of navy ships that allows you to switch out modules for repurposing. I can take it camping anytime that I bring back all the kitchen stuff, bed, fridge, and hobbies. It's real easy to insure it this way. I can even switch out cabinets if I want to. I built it solid to bridge over the uneven spots found in a Ford E-350 passenger van. I can mount cabinets anywhere I want with just a few well placed screws. I like the big wide open wasted space inside. The back end is a mechanical room for plumbing and electric, and storage for the tailgate kitchen. It has enough solar power to cook all electric. So I have a stored table that works as my indoor kitchen and my outdoor workbench. It's easy to present it as a work vehicle.

So Giz, you carry commercial insurance on your work vehicle?

To the OP I know some states require commercial license plates on a commercial vehicle. Has to do with wear and tear on the roadways so they want you to pay extra for your plates along with commercial insurance with a higher liability, etc. Check your state DMV.
I found out quickly most companies don't offer policies on DIY conversions. Some are ok with you making changes to what's inside a Van. Add water, toilet, cooking device, ?? , then getting it titled as an RV. Then you can ask for insurance on your RV. Even then you may need a prayer to make that happen.

If your vehicle is paid for all you need is liability insurance so much cheaper and just insure as a van. Don't mention the inside stuff. If anything get stolen your SOL.

I know I considered buying an old 22' RV and throwing money into it just because of insurance. I was about to go that route when my insurance gal suggested a u-haul and build it anyway I wanted and get liability only. It was/is titled as a Commercial vehicle, now for "personal use" so no commercial plates required.

Also "Escapees" RV Club may be able to help too. Everything's worth a try.

Matlock said:
So Giz, you carry commercial insurance on your work vehicle?
 Nope, I only do volunteer work. The van was originally purposed as a passenger van, Vehicle ID number. If I ever get a full wreck or stolen It's covered as a passenger van with contents covered. I don't care about the labor involved in building it but I would be able to get the solar cost and the water pump, toilette, tanks, and some of the plywood back under a total loss. It's not designated as an RV. It's like I go camping for ten weeks each winter and trips to the coast and mountains in the summer. So the only time it could be considered a van conversion to live in is when it is loaded up with camping equipment to go camping, just like any vehicle loaded for a camping trip. It's my gambling junket van. One of the reasons I'm not declared as an IRS approved "professional gambler" status is to use this van to cut overhead.

I wanted to convert a bread truck into a camper. Nevada makes it near impossible to convert from commercial to rv registration. What some do is register as an RV in another state and then transfer the vehicle into Nevada. I am told once it has an rv title, Nevada will honor that. I have no personal experience with this.
A good place for advice would be in a schoolie bus forum.