insulation question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snooker

Reaction score
I just bought some sika pro high performance foam insulation for the roof in my van.  I am trying to figure out if its safe to use inside a van, i can still return it if I cannot use it.   Just trying to be safe here.

I don't know about that specific product...but check out Lizard Skin. It's a coating that you paint on before insulating, and supposed to cut down thermal transfer hugely. I'm intrigued...

Type the exact name of the product, add a space, and then type SDS. That should give you the info you need.

SDS = Safety Data Sheet

is this the foam your talking about?
a sika foam.jpg
That looks similar to the rtech foam I use inside my van, and I got the entire inside of my van covered in it. I have 3 inches (6x 1/2" layers) on the roof. Its safe to use inside, I had it installed for the past 8 years with no problems.Works good as long as you can keep the outside air from coming inside your van.

picture of rtech foam I use when I first started installing it.
a divider door a.jpg

Attachments

• a sika foam.jpg
    a sika foam.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 8
  • a divider door a.jpg
    a divider door a.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 9
snooker said:
I just bought some sika pro high performance foam insulation for the roof in my van.  I am trying to figure out if its safe to use inside a van, i can still return it if I cannot use it.   Just trying to be safe here.
Found this on the Sika sita.  Not encouraging for enclosed spaces for humans.  Pro Select R-Matte Is that what you bought?

"WARNING Polyiso is an organic material which will burn when exposed to an ignition source of sufficient heat and intensity and may contribute to flames spreading. Installations utilizing R-Matte® Plus-3 must be fully protected on the inhabited side of the building by a thermal barrier such as a minimum of 1/2” gypsum wallboard. Consult local building codes and insurance authorities regarding special applications or details required when using R-Matte® Plus-3 as an exposed product in uninhabited spaces. Per the IBC, a WRB is required behind the exterior wall veneer. The code also has provisions regarding vapor retarders, type and location, based on the assembly, climate zone and the amount of continuous insulation. It is up to the design professional to specify an assembly that will perform adequately and meet these requirements."