Insulating your van - Bob Wells Blog

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can get it at Home Depot or Lowes or any similar hardware store. if they don't have it in stock they can order it. highdesertranger

It looks pretty similar to styrofoam, either white, blue or pink and usually comes in 4x8 foot sheets. Personally, I think it's easier to work with than the others much easier than the white and about the same as blue and pink. Blue and pink are the same things, different companies makes them and they are also very good insulation.

akrvbob said:
It looks pretty similar to styrofoam, either white, blue or pink and usually comes in 4x8 foot sheets. Personally, I think it's easier to work with than the others much easier than the white and about the same as blue and pink. Blue and pink are the same things, different companies makes them and they are also very good insulation.

Thanks Bob & HDR. I'm going to look closer at the RMAX since it seems to have the best R rating for it's thickness.

Polyiso is the material -- it comes in more than one brand. Go to Home Depot or Lowes (etc) and it will say that it's polyisocyanurate.

At least at West Coast Home Depots and Lowe's, it's the Rmax brand.

>>> Is it easy to cut and work with?

Yes. The easiest way to make a straight cut is to use a straightedge, slice along it with a box knife ONCE (depth is not critical), set the cut over a raised edge (like a table edge), hold the supported side down firmly, and then sharply snap the free-hanging edge downward. This way creates FAR less dust & debris than a saw.

For curves, use a coping saw.

All of this works on all of the thicknesses just fine.

Woah!  

My eyes must really be getting old.  I initially read the title of this thread as "Insulting your van."  

I do that all the time anyway.  ;)

TrainChaser said:
At least at West Coast Home Depots and Lowe's, it's the Rmax brand.

>>> Is it easy to cut and work with?

Yes.  The easiest way to make a straight cut is to use a straightedge, slice along it with a box knife ONCE (depth is not critical), set the cut over a raised edge (like a table edge), hold the supported side down firmly, and then sharply snap the free-hanging edge downward.  This way creates FAR less dust & debris than a saw.

For curves, use a coping saw.

All of this works on all of the thicknesses just fine.
Thanks! This is what I wanted to learn about it. ;)  

@ hanesworthy, Hahaha! :p

Our local Lowes has the 1/2 inch polyiso, but they only had a slot open for the thicker ones... No stock available... :(
I will look into doing the online order thing once we get closer to that phase next week or so...

Uber cold yesterday, and just slightly warmer today, currently 27F...

Way too cold for this old PHATT guy to be outside... LOL!

Thank you, Bob! As always, your info is very useful for me. I have a question about the issue of insulation in a hot area working against you once the sun goes down and the air cools off since the heat eventually permeates the walls. Wouldn't an open window and roof exhaust fan resolve this? I know the insulation itself would likely retain the heat for awhile, but that would be true of an uninsulated wall as well. I ask because I plan to insulate in the manner you suggest for cold weather but will also spend lots of time in the desert. Thank you!

Metal has an extremely low insulating value, so a van without insulation just dumps it's heat almost instantly cooling off very well. But, if you put in insulation, it will do it's job (even when you don't want it to) by keeping the heat inside where you don't want it.

But there is more to the story--thermal mass. If it's 100 degrees outside, it will be 100 degrees inside and everything in there is absorbing the heat and holding it. When the sun goes down it starts releasing it. So yes, open doors and vents allow some to escape, but the thermal mass is basically offsetting it so it barely cools.

It also invites in the moths and other flying insects.