Insulating floor of truck

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yogidog

Reaction score
working on insulating the floor, could u tell me your experience with leaving or removing the plastic covering on the floor bed? 

Pros might make it warmer cooler? Cons space, harder to clean. Can see for positive or negative could hold things in place better going down the road, not as eassy to move things and sweep.

SO far warmth is a priority. Have a half inch insulation on floor, thinking about maybe carpeting, tarp if really cold. Big comforter down.

Bed cot, feather comforter. Sleep in snowsuit that is comfortable.

Trying to figure out if i should get dog off floor or ideally make flooring warm enough she would be ok with good pad and her vest on. Planning for twenty degree nights.

Thanks!

The easiest, most effective solution is warm shoes and socks. Then raise the dog bed off the floor.

I stripped the old carpet and damp insulating blanket from my passenger van. After repairing the various holes in the metal, I rip cut 1x3 pine to fit into the channels of the metal floor. (that is 3/4 thick by about 2" wide). Two were glued and screwed down each side between the wheel wells. 1/2 inch foil faced foam insulation was fitted between the strips and between the strips and sides of van. This came even with the top of the strips. 3/4 plywood was cut to fit the floor over the insulation and screwed to the strips. The plywood protects the insulation. I used 3/4 plywood as I needed to mount 'furniture' and the 3/4 ply made that part easier. Other builders may be satisfied with 1/2 or even thinner plywood. The plywood floor will be covered with a flooring material soon. For now a cheap throw rug serves.

Ccbreeder, that sounds like that will be a optimal insulating floor:). Insulation, plywood, then floor covering. I have no tools, so it limits what i can do.  I did use the insulation with the reflective stuff on it. It is helping already. I put a vinenal table cloth with backing over that and then a comforter. I may get anpiece of plywood to put in part of it too. 
Thanks so much :)

If you have a van, a 4 x 8 foot sheet of plywood will fit between the wheel wells, and cover most of the front to rear floor. No cutting. If you start getting tools to cut wood, I recommend a heavy duty jig-saw. Some jig-saws can be too small. I also use a circular saw, but the jig-saw is very necessary. My first build was using a hand saw to cut 1 x 12 pine boards to make a folding bed and a storage cabinet / counter.

ccbreder thank you for measurements, although i am in a pick up truck. really coming to appreciate vans, while working this living situation out. i can still use the plywood in the truck tough. a folding bed would be great. someday i will have tools, would make it more fun and can custom fit stuff and saves so much room. i realized yesterday there is an insulation subforum., i should have posted in. thanks for responding, helps me think it through when i write it out, sometimes it sounds ridicoulous! hope your remodel is going well :)

Latest posts