Inside RV Small Security Camera

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cy_5th

Reaction score
My apologies if there are existing thread on this. Can anyone recommend a nice small battery and/or USB operated, wifi connected with a speaker for voice security camera. I want to mount it towards the back of my coach.

I have been online doing some window shopping. But I want to know what others have. I don't want a dash cam style. More like what you would get in actual house. I can connect to my Winegard too for wifi now

Budget is less than $200. Cheaper great quality the better.

Thanks in advance.

If you are on android phones or tablets, then I think you should look at the google nest cams. (No pun intended)

Lowes has them on sale: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Google-Nes..._ELC_Online_C-D-_-5003103997-_-Online-_-0-_-0

Or you can get them on google website or amazon. The 'wired' nest cam means it has a USB connector that must be active for the camera to work, or they have battery versions, at a higher cost.

https://store.google.com/us/category/nest_cams?hl=en-US

I have two of them here at my place and they work well. I can turn them on and off remotely, watch a live stream, and talk and listen thru the app. You can set alerts for things like any movement, animal seen, person seen, camera offline, all the normal stuff.

The video and audio quality are VERY good. The night vision mode is also really good. And you can change the LED indicator to stay on or off when recording, or blink when recording, depending on your preferences.

Downsides:

These nest cams are data-hungry devices. They DO use a fairly large chunk of internet bandwidth when they are ON and recording, so if you have a limited data plan, these will eat up lots of data each month if you leave them on and recording 24/7. We're talking approx 20GB of data each. But you can turn them off thru the app and then manually activate them when you will be away from the rig, then turn them off when you return. They DO need an always-on wifi source, and each camera will occupy a DHCP address (24/7) on your router or hotspot.

They also provide an automatic feature (called presence sensing) to turn the cameras on when your android phone leaves the immediate area, but obviously you have to 'allow' google servers to track your phone for this to work. They are already doing that, but this is another level of tracking if you want that feature.

I guess the one big downside for me is the recorded clips are automatically deleted after 3 hours...but you can sign up for a subscription (about $8/mo) that will save them. If you notice a clip within that 3 hours that you want to preserve, you can download it and it will be saved on your phone.

I would say if you dont need the subscription service, they are a decent solution at a reasonable cost.

If you DO need the clips to be saved (maybe to preserve possible video evidence of a crime) and don't mind a small monthly bill then they might be a very good solution for you.

interior-cam226.jpegporch-cam311.jpeg

Last edited:
I just bought these on Amazon, 2 cameras & one split screen monitor, all cordless for $59, $99 with a $40 coupon. It has 1000' range. They pan 320 deg horz & 120 deg vert & zoom so one on 2 corners of the house covers the entire house, drive, front /back yards & one end of the hanger. You probably only need 1. They don't use internet & no set up. Hard to beat for $60 IMHO. Good Luck!

Baby Monitors, 4.3'' IPS Split-Screen Monitor with 29-Hour Battery, Pan-Tilt-Zoom Video Baby Monitor with 2 Cameras and Audio, No WiFi, 2X Zoom​

• 4.3’’ Large IPS Split Display Screen】The baby monitor with two cameras adopts a new generation of IPS screen. Not only brings a wide viewing angels, but also has vivid colors and clarity. That allows you to have a high image quality to focus on taking care of every detail of your child.
  • 【Two Fully Remote Pan Tilt Zoom】The two remote cameras can rotates 320°horizontally 120° vertically and features 2X zoom magnification for comprehensive coverage, which ensures you can see your baby clearly from any angle. Under full screen mode, press and hold the key around 2 seconds to operate zoom in/out.
    • Plug and play, you don't need to enter the menu and you can directly adjust the volume and brightness by buttons, greatly facilitating your operation. The Blemil video baby monitor is worthy purchasing, suitable as a great gift for novice mothers and newborn babies.
    • 【Clear Night Vision & VOX Mode】Auto infrared night vision of Blemil baby monitor is clear. Ensuring that you can see your baby in dark. It will pause image transmission when the baby room is quiet and reactivate based on the sound of your baby room. You can set it off or change the sensitive level of the mode.

Look at the options such a field of view, storage on the cloud, remote control anccess, night vision, You can’t find out what will work best until you get a list made of exactly what options you want from the camera. Is it for security, is it for keeping an eye on your pet, etc.if you were to go into a store such as Best Buy to purchase one and you want to talk to a sales clerk they will ask those very same types of questions. Analyze first, make a list, then look at choices.

Last edited:
dNo WiFi, 2X Zoom[/HEADING]
  • 4.3’’ Large IPS Split Display Screen】

[/LIST]

If these don't need internet/wifi how am I going to be able to see the inside while I am at work. What will it connect to.

Yes the main idea here is so when I am at work or at the pub or elsewhere. I can view it manually or get notified if someone for example breaks the window it will notify me and I can view it.

My dog yes if the dog will move around it will notify me and I can view what's happening.

Also being able to speak through the phone and comes out on a speaker on the security camera as a deterrent.

They have a screen about cell phone size with the controls that rotates, tilt & zoom the camera.
71CFH-+voKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They have a screen about cell phone size with the controls that rotates, tilt & zoom the camera.

I still don't understand the camera. I will be very far from RV. Will I still be able to view inside. I will not be within radio frequency range nor bluetooth range.

Last edited:
I just added a picture. Some have a 1000' range which I'll post in a while.

Thanks for the rec I can be farther than that. So I'll be out of range. And carrying something extra, I'd rather view from cell.

Iits going to be wifi with non HD so like 480p 360p even to save on data. And I would be looking for data use only when I manually turn it on or of there is movement that auto turns it on.

I just added a picture. Some have a 1000' range. I'd recommend this one if 1 camera will do. On sale $79-$20 coupon= $59.99

HelloBaby Upgrade Monitor, 5''Sreen with 30-Hour Battery, Pan-Tilt-Zoom Video Baby Monitor with Camera and Audio, Night Vision, VOX, 2-Way Talk, 8 Lullabies and 1000ft Range No WiFi, Ideal Gifts

4.4 out of 5 stars
10K+ bought in past month
$79.99$79.99
List: $99.99$99.99

Save $20.00 with coupon
One-Day
FREE delivery Tomorrow, Jun 13
Add to cart

Looking for a deterrent really low resolution. Also has to have two way audio. And I can put sticker on the driver side or passenger side maybe in the back window. Like security camera inside or something or smile your on camera.

This is a bit more robust and should do what you need. 2 way audio, infrared night vision. Recording on the box, as well as Internet app access to minimize data usage.
There are two models, so take a look. As always, read reviews.

CasaCam VS802 Wireless Security Camera System with 7" Touchscreen Monitor and 2 pcs HD Cameras (Camera Requires AC Power), Two-Way Audio, Free APP, SD Card and Battery Installed https://a.co/d/3kYvFAU

This is a bit more robust and should do what you need. 2 way audio, infrared night vision. Recording on the box, as well as Internet app access to minimize data usage.

CasaCam VS802 Wireless Security Camera System with 7" Touchscreen Monitor and 2 pcs HD Cameras (Camera Requires AC Power), Two-Way Audio, Free APP, SD Card and Battery Installed https://a.co/d/3kYvFAU

Will take a look. Thank you. For me RV wifi I rely on data only sim plan (even though it's an unlimited data plan) minimize data usage important for me anyway because they throttle it down for the tier plan I got. Only use data when motion is happening and stops when nothing is happening.

I just looked, thanks again. I can't be on ac power it has to be rechargeable battery or usb outlet connected. Looks to robust more features than I need. It's just a deterrent. Two way speaker, low resolution. And not use data when nothing is going on.

Last edited:
Will take a look. Thank you. For me RV wifi I rely on data only sim plan (even though it's an unlimited data plan) minimize data usage important for me anyway because they throttle it down for the tier plan I got. Only use data when motion is happening and stops when nothing is happening.

I just looked, thanks again. I can't be on ac power it has to be rechargeable battery or usb outlet connected. Looks to robust more features than I need. It's just a deterrent. Two way speaker, low resolution. And not use data when nothing is going on.
I would buy the 1080p version. I'm almost certain the cameras and screen are 5v-12v DC, so you'll be able to run off a house battery. I doubt it would use much power. Wi-Fi isn't needed if you don't want. And having it record is a bonus.

Tell way audio is really the bottleneck, as it requires Wi-Fi access to see what's on the camera and be able to talk via the camera.

If it's just a deterrent. There are other ways you can go. Let me give it some thought. This is kinda my world lol.

Can you recap exactly what you want and don't need? It'll make things easier as I work through it.

I would buy the 1080p version. I'm almost certain the cameras and screen are 5v-12v DC, so you'll be able to run off a house battery. I doubt it would use much power. Wi-Fi isn't needed if you don't want. And having it record is a bonus.

Tell way audio is really the bottleneck, as it requires Wi-Fi access to see what's on the camera and be able to talk via the camera.

If it's just a deterrent. There are other ways you can go. Let me give it some thought. This is kinda my world lol.

Ok the house battery would be the Renogy lithium right meaning I would have to turn the inverter on. Where I can use microwave, stove, etc. so turn that on to use the camera. I usually have that off. The one that I have been using to power mini fan for my dog or to charge my phone is off the van battery? I'm still learning where power is getting drawn.

When you mean house battery is that the vehicle 12volt or the lithium battery. Fridge, USB ports, fan, ac I can use without the lithium battery. The lithium battery I need for furnace, stove, microwave, Xbox etc.

Basically when they say house battery what do you mean?

Last edited:
The battery that starts the engine is your starter battery. You really do not want to use that to charge things when not running the engine, because having a dead starter battery is a bummer when you can't start the engine.

House battery in an RV are batteries other than the starter battery that you run electronics with. They can be charged in many different ways. Solar, alternator, plug-in power, etc.

The OP doesn't want a monitor, they want to use their cell. Do you know the range? I couldn't find it but 1000' was not enough.

If they want to use cell they will need Internet access to the camera. They will also need constant power to camera, Internet, router, etc.