Inside lock for topper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa Truck Gypsy

Reaction score
I have a topper with 2 T handles (one on the right and one on the left of the window). When you turn the handle from the outside a 2 inch bar on the inside turns to the horizontal so it catches the inside frame of the window opening. Does anyone have any idea on how this could be locked from the inside of the topper? The only way I  can think of is to drill through the 2" bar and through the topper and insert a pin in the hole. Any other ideas?

You could use this sort of lock mounted on the inside, also one to lock the tailgate from inside. 

il_fullxfull.144702644.jpg

It's not elegant but when I had my two handled topper I used a pair of vise-grips on the center of the handle and let it wedge gently against the inside of the topper. Worked decently enough.

I use a pair of channel locks (from the inside), but I've seen a lot of other methods.

Can you wedge a piece of wood in so it can't turn?

Or a piece of wood that goes all the way across with some hooks that hook on the rod s so even if they can turn it it won't open?

A piece of 3/4'' pipe with a notch cut in each end. The notch fits over the the inside handle and keeps them from turning. The pipe is the full length across the topper. If the pipe won't stay in place by itself mount a couple broom holder clips to the door so the pipe clips into them. I recently got rid of my commercial topper and rack and got a new to me fiberglass one. I plan to do this. If I get it done soon I'll post some pictures.

View attachment 20017View attachment 20017View attachment 20016View attachment 20016For tailgate security, buy 2  (fence) gate latches (bolt) , only use bigger bolt piece, discard/ save smaller piece. Install larger mechanism with bolt on inside tailgate with self-tapping Screws. Line up bolt where it meets side wall of truck bed, mark the alignment spot and drill hole in side wall to receive bolt. Works well to prevent tailgate from being opened and your stuff/tools stolen or the tailgate itself stolen (read article, apparently there's been a theft market trend).  Things to think about?... I know its late in the game, but always relevent, maybe someone can use it the tip...just say'n?

Latest posts