Input on plan for battery box / bench

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panda

Reaction score
I have a plan to enclose my battery box and also make it as a bench to sit on, this is what I envision, would love to hear from anyone with tips / suggestions / red flags

• Red dashed lines will be either 2x3 or 2x2 lumber
  • Will use L brackets to fix the bottom to my plywood floorboard but not through the frame
  • Would like to adhere foam cushion to the top panel
  • Would like to make the top panel removeable to access the battery compartment
  • Would like to add cushion backing but not sure how to do that against the metal frame
fZw9yMN.png

if you are handy that is a pretty simple project.. for the back against the metal frame, you could use foam insulation.. if I am not mistaken big box stores with sell 2x4 sheets of this.. or maybe 4x4 sheets.. you will need to investigate..

Do you plan to have an isolator? Might as well house it there.. if you also plan to have solar could house the controller there also.

if you do a foam cushion on top, just make sure it is think enough to suit you, wally world sells memory foam mattresses pretty cheap, could buy a single memory foam and cut it to size..

if you want the top to open against the wall, you will want maybe a 3" maybe 2" piece that is Fixed, that way it will open nicely..

Something like this you certainly don't need 2x3, a good frame from 2x2 will be just fine..

heck, I made a quick single bed frame from 1x2, frame it out like a wall and you can smaller dimensions.

Scott thanks for the advice! I do plan on using a battery isolator. I'm curious about the 2x2s though, the ones I see at home depot seems very lightweight and weak, but I could be underestimating their strength. Do / did you use a specific type of wood that was more solid?

None of this needs to be built any more massively than the average wooden chair. You just need enough framing to join the box sides together, and the plywood can be a lot thinner than you think.

Also, rather than a hinging seat, which you need to hold open with one hand while removing or adding the contents of the box with the other hand, you might want to put some kind of door (or curtain) on the front.

Plywood, 2x2's, and 1x2's is all you need. There is no need to use anything else like 2x4's. Note I said plywood not OSB huge difference. Highdesertranger

Panda said:
Scott thanks for the advice! I do plan on using a battery isolator. I'm curious about the 2x2s though, the ones I see at home depot seems very lightweight and weak, but I could be underestimating their strength. Do / did you use a specific type of wood that was more solid?
I am currently building a bedframe from 2x2's and 1x2' I am not a small guy.. if you build it correctly.. you will have enough strength to hold a 300lb fella..  

I am using just your basic 2x2.. Nothing special about them.. 

Sorry I did not see this sooner

Looking at you photo, and the box outline you have, my guess is you will only need one stud on each side.. you may not even need that..