INFLUENCE

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owl

Reaction score
If there's anyone here that has influenced you in a positive manner, other than Bob of course, who would it be and how. I'll start. High Desert Ranger, I have no idea how he keeps his cool, gives good advice and tolerates some of us who come here. Cyndi, after all these years she is calm, firm, objective and understanding. I don't mean to slight anyone.

My parents, they are 78 years old, and belong to an active Airstream travel trailer group, and still spend about 100 nights a year doing rallys, and organized trips, The group is far more structured than anything I would want to belong to, but it works well for them.

Just last year, they took a SW national parks tour for 6 weeks, and about 4000 miles. They are living/thriving longer from being in this group.

Influenced most by my parents also for being very independent, learning how to manage money well for retirement and dreams you want to pursue, being raised with a very balanced thought of how to 'get thru this life' in fine form.
I can only say they gave me the best building blocks to follow my personal dreams and being on the road with freedom from the rat race is what I want so I thank them they showed me the way to achieve what I desire.

Anyone here on the forum? I have to say I can't narrow it down in any way cause I gained a lot of info from many here, got wonderful ideas, got mojo into my life to follow my dream as others are doing just that here on the forum and post their experiences. So I just give a big thanks to a ton of people on the board :) Everyone is some type of transition walking toward what they want in life. Love it.

Tioga George may he rest in peace and RV Sue for many years have inspired many to hit the road.

AlmostThere from this forum was always my inspiration. Hope to catch up and meet her someday

My biggest influences were all of the anonymous collection of ultralight backpackers that I met both online and up on the trail.

They showed me that one can have fun and comfortable adventures without a lot of "stuff".

My first big positive, life-changing influence came from a couple of high school friends (National Honor Society types) who taught me originality is much more valuable (financially and otherwise) than conformity, because it's rarer.

As far as people on the forum go, there have been dozens and dozens over the years who, by telling bits of their stories, have expanded my view of the nomad community, who've helped me remember we come from different situations, have different reasons, different goals, different abilities. I've become more open, less critical.

thanks for the shout out Owl. but I can't take any credit it belongs to all the Moderators and others behind the scene of the forum. highdesertranger

The Danish guy from website Early Retirement Extreme. He was a huge influence and inspiration. One thing that always stuck with me is he always tried to ask himself: "How can this problem be solved without spending money?" Fix it yourself, entertainment with friends, exercise without gym, borrow stuff on and on. Really turned the tide in my mind regarding how often we (I) spend out of boredom and / or lack of imagination.

This is a case of people NOT taking the time to read the original posting. The question was not who in your life outside of this forum has been an influence but which MEMBER OF THIS FORUM has been an influence.

Lenny Flank....I am gaining experience vicariously via his website and his posts to this one. I should therefore be fully ready to roll when I retire in a few years and hit the road full time. Thanks for all the great photos, too!

Popeye from the YARC thread but it’s all been a BAD influence!

Not a darn thing wrong with pointing out a very positive influence in one's life when a post asks about influences, even if they said forum influences. I think it is great to read all these posts about positive influences. No need to be so narrow, it ain't a big deal if one adds to their posts some personal thoughts that are mostly in line with the original thread thoughts.

You know what? I like that folks are talking about influence other than here. Let's expand it to here and elsewhere. I like hearing your stories as I'm sure others do too. Thanks

RoamerRV428 said:
Not a darn thing wrong with pointing out a very positive influence in one's life when a post asks about influences, even if they said forum influences.  I think it is great to read all these posts about positive influences.  No need to be so narrow, it ain't a big deal if one adds to their posts some personal thoughts that are mostly in line with the original thread thoughts.

I agree

But then again limiting it expands people's knowledge of some great forum members who have a lot of experience to share. So then perhaps they will take the time to look up that member's posting history and take advantage of all that experience they have shared in the past. Sometimes a narrow focus brings great benefits.

That is not of course something they can do with people from you own personal past unless they have been bloggers elsewhere.

I tend to let people here merge in my mind into a general feeling toward the whole forum, the crowd, the experience. So I don't necessarily remember names until I see someone pop up in a post again. And then I remember, oh yeah, that person has said some pretty smart things, or been really helpful, or had an unusual take on things that I'm so glad to have heard because I just don't think that way and maybe I'll never have those experiences ... and why wait and struggle through years of errors when someone could just tell me, Hey! This is the way and it works.

Therefore, I am not into people-idolatry. Over-estimating people is just the flip side of turning on them, the transition can be almost instant, and I don't approve of either.

All that said, I have often liked Carolyn's videos, and Jimindenver's posts on solar are rock solid. Maybe too rock solid for me; I'm as dumb on anything practical as I am good on a lot of creative things. Lennyflank comes to mind as an opinionated guy I don't always agree with, but I value being opinionated sometimes because at least you know someone is going to give you the straight truth as he sees it, even if he and it are full of baloney. But you'll get an honest recital.

I feel the same way about Will Prowse. He doesn't show up here much, and his videos are full of youthful certainty of the kind that brings a wry curl of the lip to people who have been through that. But I like his passion and therefore I forgive his mistakes. And he does try to convey some really useful things at least once in a while, opinions aside.

Lots of others ... I'm not good with names.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing and as people read and see member's names they can look them up if wanted.

Ding I liked what you said that the whole experience is all members and that gives me personally the warm feeling of this forum.

You know it isn't just a forum member or 1 usually who influences our lives. There is so much, sometimes not a person. Sometimes it is social, economical situations that truly focus us in a way that a monster life change has to happen for us. Wandering into a new lifestyle.

I love reading the newcomer's corner when people come in and say why they are changing their lives and heading toward a new way of living. So many variables I love to read what influence they are dealing with to make them consider selling it all and wandering.

waldenbound said:
Almost There from this forum was always my inspiration. Hope to catch up and meet her someday
+ 100 and a high-five to your good taste sistah! :)
Though in my case, not so much an inspiration as an awesomely helpful resource.
So many times in the beginning, I'd be stressing out while wading thru a ton of crud posts, and as soon as I saw her username I'd relax because I knew I'd get useful & accurate info.

Brain ("B and C") is also one of my forum Heroes.
He's been an awesome resource for Dodge vans, and saved my bacon several times, particularly during my maiden voyage driving my van back to WI last year (that was over in Gary's forum).
Brian: I hate that you're stuck in a high stress situation, but am in awe of how many people you've helped with your calm, no-nonsense, to-the-point Wisdom & Knowledge. :)

maki2 said:
But then again limiting it expands people's knowledge of some great forum members who have a lot of experience to share. So then perhaps they will take the time to look up that member's posting history and take advantage of all that experience they have shared in the past. Sometimes a narrow focus brings great benefits.

That's part of why collaborative killfile apps make forums so much better. :)

Obviously their main (original) goal was to identify and discard posts of sociopaths, bullies, and high noise-to-signal ratio folks.
In the decades since their inception, they've evolved into full featured rating & annotation tools, with impressive AI & delightfully helpful databases.

If I want to research something, I usually start with a forum's search tool, but if it gives me too many results, I use a killfile/reputation app, which filters down to just the best core info.

They show me not only the member ratings as judged by experts & rigorously vetted SMEs, they also show my own notes. :)

Some forums haven't been crawled by killfile apps, and until they are, it's always a frustrating experience if one's there to get real info, not engage in verbal diarrhea. :(

Plus, some killfile apps require their users to rate posts, and give a much more expressive range of quick-ratings, including "LOL", "virtual hug", and "Hero".

(AI == Artificial Intelligence, in the computer sense (not to be confused with the more-popular-in-WI other "AI" acronym "Artificial Insemination" (i.e. cows, aka Mothers of Cheese (MoC?)))
(SME == Subject Matter Expert)

Dingfelder said:
I feel the same way about Will Prowse.  He doesn't show up here much, and his videos are full of youthful certainty of the kind that brings a wry curl of the lip to people who have been through that.  But I like his passion and therefore I forgive his mistakes.  And he does try to convey some really useful things at least once in a while, opinions aside.

What are you talking about? Can you please explain exactly what you mean? And what mistakes?