Inexpensive transmission temperature gauge install

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falfrenzy

Reaction score
As transmission temperature gauges are not common in the factory gauge cluster unless you have a towing specific package, I thought I would share a quick mod I did to my 2012 Ram 1500 that has a transmission cooler behind the grill (a big radiator of sorts), yet there is no transmission temperature gauge, only a warning light that comes on at 275 degrees F, which is WAAAY TOO LATE as shown in the photo below:

jDkkzED.jpg

Full disclosure, my truck is the middle package that has the trans cooler, but not the fancy gauge cluster with the trans temp gauge.

I looked at buying an Ultragauge to plug into my OBDII port, however the rude dismissal by their Customer Service tream to "read our FAQ page" (I did read it prior to writing my email) after I emailed them about the RAM encrypted BCM/computer system told me that they have poor customer service, and I won't be doing business with them.

So onto Amazon to find a temperature gauge, and after considerable review of pyrometers, digital thermistors, and the like, I decided on a $25 mechanical temp gauge with the desired temp range and it had a copper clad capillary tube and 6 foot sensor line.

Upon receipt I opened the package and tested the capillary tube with a Bic lighter from 2 inches away and the gauge climbed.

Next I researched online which line coming out of the transmission went to the trans cooler (hot fluid to be cooled) and decided where I was going to drill a hole in my floor pan, as it was very close to the catalytic converter. I used aluminized tape to attach the Cap tube to the outlet line and added a couple zipties for good measure.

I used a rubber grommet and Duct seal (similar to Plumber's Putty, but all weather use for sealing conduit openings) and covered the exposed sensor line inside the cab in flexible plastic wire sheath then ran it under the carpet next to the firewall as there is a warning not to kink the line.

So here it is:
hVIwfg8.jpg

3blJzmA.jpg

wPqNsAu.jpg

trans temp guages are a must for towing or a loaded down van/truck etc.

heat is what kills automatic transmissions so being able to keep an eye on it will save money in the long run.

good job making it a fairly easy install there.

Thanks guys. Thought others could benefit.

Gsfish, I was unaware of the existence of thermally conductive adhesive, thank you. That really opens up the potential for people who want to do this on their trans, but dont have cooler lines to attach to. I would think that the filler tube right next to the transmission body would be the next best place.

Playing around with my infared tenp gun showed the transmission body to be 10-15 degrees warmer than the outlet line to the trans cooler.