Inexpensive GPS

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do advance map downloading with Google maps. Just click on offline maps and click select the area you want to download.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230202-060510~2.png
    Screenshot_20230202-060510~2.png
    115.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230202-060826~2.png
    Screenshot_20230202-060826~2.png
    340.3 KB · Views: 0
I use the WAZ app. My app still works in the instances where I do not have cell service. At this time at least it costs nothing.

I use Google maps on my Phone with Android Auto through my stereo. It works great, even in very remote areas. I often camp way off grid and it's always worked for me. To find camping spots and BLM & National forest legal spots, I use iOverlander/Freeroam/Free camping apps. For trails to ride my mountain bike or hike I use Trailforks which is fantatstic and gives you all kinds of data & info of the area. Good luck to you

I have an 18 year old Tom-Tom that still plays. So I still use it. It was 50 bucks when I bought it.

Any advice on what car GPS to buy that is under $250? Thanks . Hope everyone is having a great day.
Gps can be had as little as $2 working at yard sales. The kind I like are large screen Garmin I look online buy used. People think they can just use the phone. That's until they get in a nocell zone. Always use more than one device for trip information. I carry more than one brand too. One takes a 💩 or starts giving you a stupid route you can disregard the dumb one. Garmin wants to milk an additional $10 to give good routes. I've had it route me on a bus route with an interstate in sight making top speed. Anyway I like GPS for driving hard rain or fog. Really helps to have an idea which way the road will turn. The newer Garmin has talk and blue tooth. The talk sucks 💩 you want to just type it in.

I wish they made a gps that would accept a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. They do with a cellphone I'm typing this with a blue tooth mouse. But I'm at home. When I get in the car and plan to go to new place I enter data in the GPS.

Gps is good to find things like Walmart or tire centers. Always call ahead never know if they closed a store.

Cell phones without a sim card and no cell service will not be able to make calls or use Internet FROM DATA. The phone can still be used on WIFI.

Don't most people already have a cell phone with data? Why add another device when it's in your hand, updated faster than an old GPS unit that doesn't have the latest map installed?

Don't most people already have a cell phone with data? Why add another device when it's in your hand, updated faster than an old GPS unit that doesn't have the latest map installed?
The gps does get extra data about places to eat, etc, but there's an app for that too.

My old Magellan GPS unit has been updated a few times.

The last update allowed for entry of Lat/Lon coordinates as a destination, and to save the current location along with descriptive information.

Used to be that one needed a Windows or Mac to update the device, then Magellan developed an update process that is OS independent.

A cell phone does not have to have tower reception to have directions with many map apps. Even with google maps, if the app has been running with location turned on, it downloads much of the future maps in the background to work when reception is gone.

I have not tested, or know, the extent of it for google maps. But other maps are meant to work without reception because you download the entire map before using, just like you are doing with a nuvi gps (near, maps.me, etc).

The phone is still not as good as the nuvi type though, offline, with the nearby business' and stuff.
Thank you . I didn't know that about the cell phone reception and Google maps. I went to the Garmin Outlet Store online and bought a refurbished GPS with a one year manufactory warrenty and for $4.99 an additional 2 yrs. repair/replacement warranty. Came out to an even $80. I like getting the product and warranty directly from the Garmin company. Now I just have to figure out how to use it. Take care and thank you for all your help and info. All the best to you.

My old Magellan GPS unit has been updated a few times.

The last update allowed for entry of Lat/Lon coordinates as a destination, and to save the current location along with descriptive information.

Used to be that one needed a Windows or Mac to update the device, then Magellan developed an update process that is OS independent.
I went to the Garmin Outlet Store online and bought a refurbished GPS with a one year manufactory warrenty and for $4.99 an additional 2 yrs. repair/replacement warranty. Came out to an even $80. I like getting the product and warranty directly from the Garmin company. Now I just have to figure out how to use it. Take care and thank you for all your help and info. All the best to you.

The gps does get extra data about places to eat, etc, but there's an app for that too.
I went to the Garmin Outlet Store online and bought a refurbished GPS with a one year manufactory warrenty and for $4.99 an additional 2 yrs. repair/replacement warranty. Came out to an even $80. I like getting the product and warranty directly from the Garmin company. Now I just have to figure out how to use it. Take care and thank you for all your help and info. All the best to you.

Garmin is the best brand, IMO. They go for nothing used on ebay or Goodwill. You want one that has lifetime maps and traffic notifications (LMT). Get the latest features like wireless cell phone connectivity (bluetooth) and voice activated. Voice activation is amazing as you can tell it destination without ever touching it AKA handsfree. The cell phone link is nice because you can send destination waypoints from your phone to Garmin wirelessly. With a GPS you don't have to worry about cell reception to keep it working like a phone. You can get these features on Garmins with the last versions of the Nuvi series or the current SmartDrive series. Used, you can get Nuvi with those features for $30 or a Smartdrive for $50.

Glad you have a solution now. I would also consider having one or more of the above apps along with the maps you might need. It's a good backup it might be able to provide more information than the Garmin.

Garmin for navigating, one as backup and more detail. Just a thought.

Glad you have a solution now. I would also consider having one or more of the above apps along with the maps you might need. It's a good backup it might be able to provide more information than the Garmin.

Garmin for navigating, one as backup and more detail. Just a thought.
Great advice. Thank you. Hope all is well. Take care, Happy Camper.

Most people, but not all. Always good to have more than one way to accomplish your goal. If one device stops working or is otherwise unavailable for use (stolen, left behind, broken), there is your back up device. Plus on long trips my phone battery heats up and shuts down at times. All the best to you. A

I have an 18 year old Tom-Tom that still plays. So I still use it. It was 50 bucks when I bought it.
Gps can be had as little as $2 working at yard sales. The kind I like are large screen Garmin I look online buy used. People think they can just use the phone. That's until they get in a nocell zone. Always use more than one device for trip information. I carry more than one brand too. One takes a 💩 or starts giving you a stupid route you can disregard the dumb one. Garmin wants to milk an additional $10 to give good routes. I've had it route me on a bus route with an interstate in sight making top speed. Anyway I like GPS for driving hard rain or fog. Really helps to have an idea which way the road will turn. The newer Garmin has talk and blue tooth. The talk sucks 💩 you want to just type it in.

I wish they made a gps that would accept a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. They do with a cellphone I'm typing this with a blue tooth mouse. But I'm at home. When I get in the car and plan to go to new place I enter data in the GPS.

Gps is good to find things like Walmart or tire centers. Always call ahead never know if they closed a store.
Certainly helps to have many avenues to your destination. At least for me. I can never have enough. Most of my traveling is truly an adventure. I love adventure thankfully. I can not guide myself out of a paper bag, so to speak. Getting lost a lot, though, is just part of the norm for me. No sense of direction when in a vehicle. Some of my best memories come from trips gone astray, so to say. I seem to eventually find my way, but it may take a bit of delving and meeting new friends. along the path. I have to experiment with GPS locations, I haven't use them. All I know for sure is that only God knows where I'll end up whenever I venture down the road. All the best to you. Happy adventuring. A

Garage sale and thrift store shoppers, it is a buyer beware situation. It might be unusable for a number of reasons. Test before you purchase.

If you have your phone mounted in the windshield area on a sunny day using it as a GPS on long drives you are likely to overheat it and kill it. Also do not put it on a vent clip mount if you are running the heater. That too can cause death by overheating.

Last edited: