In case of FIRE

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlock

Reaction score
Woke up this morning to the smell of something burning and it wasn't a campfire. I spent some time uncovering my extinguisher only to find it unusable. So that prompted the following...

Where did you mount your Fire Extinguisher?
Is it visible, unobstructed, and in its designated location?
Sitting inside the vehicle, can you get to it in under 5 seconds and do you know how to use it?
We always taught best technique was P-A-S-S. (Pull pin - Aim at the base of the fire - Squeeze trigger - Sweep motion .)

Better question, can you and your crew get out quick, what's your plan?
What type extinguisher do you carry?

I need to get mine replaced today.
Walmart purchase, Kidde ABC fire extinguisher with mounting bracket for $17.44

Oh, and the burning smell at 5:00AM turned out to be a few hundred yards down the service road, a fellow Vanner had just pulled in with a locked front caliper, very hot and smoldering. Any other time that smell is easily recognizable but I plead sleepy on this one. Guy said it was driving funny the last mile or so, was pulling to the right  :(

Mine is mounted to the back of the passenger seat base, laying on its' side. If in bed, out the back window, otherwise out the nearest door.

as a side note about fire extinguishers, the type of extinguishers with a plastic head/nozzle are disposable. you cannot refill them or have them serviced. in other words when they expire like Matlock's did you throw them away and buy a new one. the ones with metal heads can be serviced. to service a extinguisher that hasn't been used is very cheap. last time my were 5 bucks each. that reminds me I need to do them again.

BTW beside my dry chemical ones I carry one of those water ones that you can fill with water and charge with compressed air. so I can recharge that one myself. Rangers love seeing that one in camp.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Rangers love seeing that one in camp.

Are you being sarcastic? I'd imagine not. I'd think rangers would be glad of it. No chemicals sprayed on their turf if the campfire gets out of hand.

no sarcasm. they see it as a fire fighting tool that' handy in case of an accident. in California if you have a campfire or use a camp stove you MUST have a campfire permit. on the permit a few firefighting tools must be handy you must have a shovel and a bucket of water. so when they see the fire extinguisher they know we are serious about following safe fire practices.

BTW that is another thing if they have the RTR in California. everybody with a campfire or camp stove must have a permit. that has not been mentioned. the permit is free and is available online, don't get caught without one.

highdesertranger

Are there plans to have the RTR in cali? I thought it was always in AZ. That is good to know you need a permit. I was unaware of that. Makes sense for a campfire but I'd have never guessed a campstove would need one.

I travel with a shovel, I travel with water, I travel with 2 fire extinguishers, one for the car and one for the trailer. Both of them are rated properly and can be refilled and recertified.

While some might call me a wet blanket well I do have blankets and can make them wet if needed to help smother a small fire.

But I also have enough sense to get on the phone and call for help if I realize I can't put the fire out. I have a fiberglass trailer so I absolutely have to practice fire safety since it is difficult to extinguish a fire in a fiberglass structure.

When the time came, I had a tough time picking fire extinguishers.  The biggest threat in our van, as I see it, is foam bedding since it is highly flammable and burns incredible rapidly.  The fumes are very toxic.  Frankly, I don't know that there's a good option for that.  I've wondered if there's some way to wrap the bed in flame retardant fabric.  Any thoughts on that?

I ended up getting two of the $15 Kiddie's rated for flammable liquids and electrical fires.  It was kind of hard to find good, secure places for these where they would be handy but not subject to damage.  One is mounted at the head of the bed by the rear doors.  The other is mounted to the bed frame under the front "lip" by the side doors.

Outside, we always have a small red bucket of water handy.

On our last journey, we saw both squads of BLM fire fighters and Hot Shot crews--all tired, dirty and dedicated.  They have my total respect!

The fire extinguishers they sell at marine stores work just fine for van dwelling.

we have 1 in the rv
we got a recall on the last one. never got the company to send any :) like pulling teeth so we just went out and bought new but good post as a reminder it is smart to be a bit safety concerned.

sorry for the van guy with the troubles. no one wants anything wrong with their ride.

Wow, need a permit for even a stove. I lived in California for about 30 years and camped often. I never heard of the permit. I can't remember ever making a camp fire, but have been camped with others who did. I always had a stove of some sort. When the sun goes down and it gets chilly, I head for the sleeping bag.