Important! Snake Aversion Training

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
There is a free, online magazine called Truck Camper Magazine.  I don't have a truck camper, but I read it occasionally because they sometimes run trip articles that I find interesting and get ideas from.  And did I mention it's FREE?

If you travel with a dog, this article, Snake Aversion Training for Traveling Dogs should be a must read, IMNPHO!

Regards
John

I've heard about it before from people who were taking their dogs on long thru hikes like the AT.

It's not only western tourist dogs that need the training and since it definitely saves lives, both the dog and the human on the other end of the lead, it's well worthwhile.

I've trained my dog to avoid snakes. It has helped. One time I thought she did get bit, but she didn't. The snake may have bumped her and not tried to bite, but I don't know. It was close. She had no interest in the snake and jerked away from it. Last year she rolled on one and when it buzzed, she left it alone.

You can't avoid every bite, but her training probably made a difference with those two examples.

The article stated the trainer charged $80 for 15 minutes. What a great deal! Some will surely complain about the price, but I can't fathom how $80 is anything but a smokin' deal.

$80 is a bargain, My dog was bitten by a Timber Rattler and the cost for treatment was almost $600. He is a terrier so he was determined that snake was not going to live on "his" property.

We live in the country in Western Tennessee and Timber Rattlers are plentiful here. Pup is kept in fenced yard now but have seen rattlers at fence line so we can only hope for the best.

Canine said:
I've trained my dog to avoid snakes. It has helped. One time I thought she did get bit, but she didn't. The snake may have bumped her and not tried to bite, but I don't know. It was close. She had no interest in the snake and jerked away from it. Last year she rolled on one and when it buzzed, she left it alone.

You can't avoid every bite, but her training probably made a difference with those two examples.

The article stated the trainer charged $80 for 15 minutes. What a great deal! Some will surely complain about the price, but I can't fathom how $80 is anything but a smokin' d
How did you train your dog, my baby is too old to be shocked so any alternative method would be much appreciated.   I could never submit the love of my life to shock training, just me. I would appreciate any advice.  Also have you had any encounters with scorpions and dogs, just wandering?

oldogre said:
How did you train your dog, my baby is too old to be shocked so any alternative method would be much appreciated.   I could never submit the love of my life to shock training, just me. I would appreciate any advice.  Also have you had any encounters with scorpions and dogs, just wandering?

To truly answer that is an extremely long answer. This Cliff Notes version won't do justice, but here it is.

You need to have a good sit, stay, down, come, etc. The basics must be established first to have a good foundation. The dog needs to know how to learn first before having decent success with more advanced stuff. Teaching boundaries is extremely important. Teaching the dog to pay close attention to you is very important as well. Having a very well developed sense of self control is a must; heeling off leash is the best way I've found to do that.

Then after the basics are accomplished, you can work on the snake thing specifically.

I don't have scorpions here, so no. She has never seen one. Porcupines, yes, but those aren't as big of a problem for me. Although, last year I sent her in front of me into a tunnel and there was a porky in there! I just about screwed up big time. (She likes porkys, too. Not good.) Called her back and everything was fine. I threw a small (1-2 inch long) rotten stick at it. I'm a meany! :p

I've had dozens of bad encounters with dogs. Yesterday I got in yet another fight with a loose dog. I was checking it for tags and it got all uppity with me. Lol. No one got hurt. He didn't like being choked, but all it took was 2 seconds and he calmed right down. After his hissy fit, I looked for tags, but there were none, so I let him go. Hate to do that, but I'm not the city dog catcher and am not equipped to take in aggressive possibly diseased dogs. My dog won't fight unless I tell her to or I'm down and obviously need help or the dog is on her and won't back off. Even yesterday when the dog started in on me, she waited for me about 5 feet away. I didn't need to look at her to make sure she was still waiting for me. She had fun.

We get out a lot and because of that our encounters, both good and bad, increase much, much, much more than the average person. That's the price I pay for being active and not keeping to myself with loose dogs. I've also reunited many dogs back with their owners.

Completely agree with Canine. You must have a firm foundation to work from. The dog must respect you. If you have to say a command half a dozen times before the dog might decide to comply, you don't have that firm foundation.