I'm wondering if this was such a good idea after all...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citytravelfotos

Reaction score
I bought a van many months ago and even though I haven't really lived in it for a significant amount of time, I'm wondering if it's such a good idea.

Yes it MAY be cheaper (until you count all the extra stuff you have to pay for if your living in a city) and probably still good for cutting on motel room costs when out on the road, however...

This takes some guts, especially someone who's had quite a bit of middle class friends and is used to interacting with middle class people.

I'm not really sold yet on relying on my van to make life easier for me in the future.

For one the stigma is pretty significant of someone that is perceived to be homeless. You have to be someone that just doesn't care at all about what others think of you to make it work. It's not easy especially depending on what crowd you've been in before. And how about if your trying to

Then you have to worry about cops in the cities.

Yes you don't need to pay for motel rooms, but you spend more money on gasoline, plus the potential repair costs. Repair costs even for nonpowertrain stuff isn't cheap, especially if your no mechanic yourself. I paid $800 for a replacement before and am going to have to pay another $800 to replace something else in the suspension system.