I'm still a little confused....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
I'm learning, but it's an uphill battle...  I need to condense some of the information in my mind.

Suppose you have a window van...

Should you be using Reflectix to line the entire inside of the van, or just the windows?

If you are lining the whole interior with the Reflectix, do you need the dead air space on the inside of the metal walls as well as on the window glass?

If you're using Polyiso on the walls and ceiling, do you need to use the Reflectix on the walls at all?  If so, on the metal wall side or the living side?

If you're using Polyiso but NOT the Reflectix, is a dead-air space (bubblepak or wood strips/foam strips) a benefit or a waste?

If you're using Polyiso alone, should you be using anything else against the van metal wall?

As long as you have a roof vent (passive or an electric fan) -- and use it -- is moisture build-up really an issue?

TrainChaser said:
Suppose you have a window van...

Should you be using Reflectix to line the entire inside of the van, or just the windows? Just the windows--unless you are not concerned about cold, just heat. Then use Reflectix everywhere and be sure to put in and air-gap. No insulation.

If you are lining the whole interior with the Reflectix, do you need the dead air space on the inside of the metal walls as well as on the window glass? No air gap on the windows, the heat just bounces out through it. If you are worried about heat and not cold, then use, use Reflectix with an air gap. If you are worried about cold, Reflectix ONLY on the wondows

If you're using Polyiso on the walls and ceiling, do you need to use the Reflectix on the walls at all?  If so, on the metal wall side or the living side? No Reflectix, Polyiso ONlY

If you're using Polyiso but NOT the Reflectix, is a dead-air space (bubblepak or wood strips/foam strips) a benefit or a waste? Waste--no air gap with polyiso

If you're using Polyiso alone, should you be using anything else against the van metal wall? NO

As long as you have a roof vent (passive or an electric fan) -- and use it -- is moisture build-up really an issue? Out West, in extreme cold yes. If it's below zero, it could get pretty wet. In normal temperatures, no. Back East I don't know.

Bob, thank you very much! Everything I needed to know in one post! I was having trouble putting all of the bits and pieces together.

I guess I should have included that I'm not likely to be anywhere where the temps get below freezing, and will only get caught in excessive heat (HORRORS!!!) if I don't run away fast enough. There may be people who live at the SLABS in summer, but I'm not one of them.

TrainChaser said:
I guess I should have included that I'm not likely to be anywhere where the temps get below freezing, and will only get caught in excessive heat (HORRORS!!!) if I don't run away fast enough.  There may be people who live at the SLABS in summer, but I'm not one of them.

For heat only, I'd use Reflectix with an air gap. It works well on that. If you saw the post, I think it helps as much or more to create your own shade with Shade cloth or reflectix on the outside of the van.  If you don't have solar on the roof, best is to go up to the National Forest and park in the shade from the trees near a creek!  :heart:
Bob

With enough solar on the roof you sit in the sun in the morning and be in float before the shade gets to the rig mid day.