I'm getting a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookeD

Reaction score
Next Tuesday I am going to look at a 2012 Chevrolet Express 2500 Cargo Extended 6 Speed Automatic. I am about a year behind my planned schedule of traveling, but I am almost there (ish).

Does anyone know what I should be looking at when it comes to this van?
Here are the stats: [font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Miles - 15,956;  Ext color - Wh;  Int color - gray;[/font]
[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Engine - 4.8L, V8, OHV (whatever that is), 16V and FFV ( again with the ?)[/font]
[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Transmission - 6 speed automatic;  Drive Train - RWD;    MPG City 10 mpg/ highway 16 mpg

[/font]
[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am getting excited. I know I shouldn't (pray for me).[/font]

These Van's get fairly good ratings.

https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/express-cargo/2012/review/

If you are a younger person you will be able to work around inside the cargo area (your living space) bent over.  It will get old after awhile but just be aware.   What you could do is visit a Harbor Freight Tool Store and buy a cheap pair of knee pads and move around on your knees.  Not as bad as it sounds and you won't get a lot of back & neck aches. 

My first Van was a standard low roof Van so I learned these ways of adapting to it.

Feel free to check out my sites on Van conversion and travel below.  (it's all free)

OHV = over head valve. just like every other engine built today. I believe all vehicle engines have been OHV since the 1940's.

16v = 2 valves per cylinder the minimum set up. you can't have less then 2 valves per cylinder although you can have more.

FFV = Flex Fuel Vehicle

the first 2 terms they just throw out there as sale's talk to impress the people that don't know. it would be the same as saying the vehicle comes with a gas tank. but you already know that so you wouldn't be impressed so they don't include it in their BS.

good luck, make sure to have a mechanic check it out. whoever wrote the add sounds like a shyster. highdesertranger

Many modern engines, more often the smaller ones, are OHC -- overhead cam, but the old-school V8s , like this Chevy, were still OHV.

I agree with HDR that there's a lot of unnecessary info in this ad. but the van sounds good, especially with the low mileage.

Johnny

Thank you guys. I am retired and ready to run away from home. The van has a high top, and, thank you for the info. Since I don't see it until Tuesday (Memorial Day weekend), I'm trying not to get my hopes up or down until then (but I have started designing it, no matter what van I get). I'll add a picture of it.

Attachments

• 1gcwggba2c1137508-2012-chevrolet-express-2500-cargo-extended-6-speed-automatic-used-van-fort-m...jpg
    1gcwggba2c1137508-2012-chevrolet-express-2500-cargo-extended-6-speed-automatic-used-van-fort-m...jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 21
The mileage is on the low side. Owned by a little old lady from Pasadena?

Well, I did not get the van. My head hit the ceiling when I stood up and there had been something screwed into the floor in several places, all the way through the floor. I could see the road underneath. I saw that and he said that I could fill those in. I mentioned rust and he said that the plastic (over the floor) doesn't rust. I said the metal floor does. He showed me the A/C. hmmmm. I have someone to take with me next time I see something.
BTW. Other than those minor things, it was a nice van. Anyone near Fort Myers Florida, if you are interested, It's still there.

Some drill-holes in the floor do not kill a van.
You can cure any rust around the hole with a $1.29 brush and a little bit of the right paint.
Pretty much anything used could have bolt holes in it. It's kind of expected.
As long as they have not put a hole in their tank or emissions gear...its fine.

15,000 miles is still a new truck for the most part.

If it was a dealer or anyone other than the original owner, you look with more suspicion on board than normal.

that still sounds like way too few miles? my buddy just filed a lemon lawsuit on
a 2017 Chevy they couldn't fix. he made out pretty good and got the entire retail
price back toward a 2019 Blazer. (would suddenly lose power leaving him stranded).

Thank you all for responding. It kinda lets me know that I'm not just talking to myself... I have friends that understand my desire to get on the road. My family is already being "scared" that I am going to "do this fantasy". I was a Carny before I had kids and loved living on the road. I have had jobs that took me to different places. I guess I raised them to be cautious. Ahhhh. They are good kids (in their 40's).
JDGumbee, I trust your answer better than his. If the guy had addressed my question like you did, I would have gone further with the inspection. The fact that he diverted my attention to the A/C, (which I am sure worked brilliantly) told me a lot about his sales technique and that I would not get any straight answers. 
Like txmnjim said, the miles may be a farce. To feel safe in the sale, I have to believe that my questions would be answered instead of averted.
Again. Thank you to you all.   :D

Oh damn...
Are you aware what you can get @ the auctions with that much...AND have enough left over for a brandy new hightop of your choice???
Have you looked @ the links I used to post here in the Marketplace for a frame of reference?
I used to put a sampling of the desirable units up.
Click the links if you have a little time.
There is a long one there on GSA info worth checking out.

I think I'm having a problem with NON-buyers remorse. I keep hearing Bob's voice telling us to work with what we have and build from there (not verbatim, but the voices in my head sometimes make up stuff ... hehe ... JUST KIDDING). 
I think I may have run away from that van too quickly. I have done a deep dive into my psyche and have now confused myself as to why I didn't get it. Was I being a snob? Do I want way more than I can afford? Am I sabotaging myself?
I'm thinking about going back to the dealership and retalking this over. An outside (my head) voice of reason would really be helpful.
Thank you to everyone.

sometimes putting off a purchase can be VERY hard, but i think you did the right thing.
the right van will come along...and never trust someone that doesn't answer your questions
straight up. evasiveness is basically lying.

Seven years old and only 16K miles? 175 miles per month?

Something smells bad here. On a vehicle like this, I would look at the tires and see if they have the original DOT date codes. The tires need to be either: original, about 7 or 8 years old, OR brand spanking new and shiny with the nubs still on the tread, because the old tires were old and cracked from non-use.

Dashboards can be changed out and odometers can be rolled back or changed, even electronic ones. 

Or maybe there was a typo for the odometer reading.

And 20 grand for a seven (or maybe eight) year old van seems WAY too high. Non-factory hightops don't increase the value, except in the mind of the owner or seller. Unless they are part of an interior package from a conversion company.