I'm (almost) officially a (step)vandweller again!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like your converted cordless drill....I've never seen that done before. Very clever!! :)

Yer bus is looking great old' boy! Keep up the good work!

As soon as the rechargeable battery packs die, people seem to just throw them away. Super simple to convert, just 2 leads (- & +) in the handle, and the 12v ones love the higher voltage of my house system. I have 2 right now, having given my 3rd one to a friend. ..Willy.

Looking good Willy! I really like the room of the step vans. It seems more like a home than just long term camping.

Does this mean that the next RTR training sessions are inside Willy"s step van???????????????
This IS a lot of room to get one's freak on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks nice.
Good job!

Thanks y'all. This is my 3rd stepvan and, ever since I sold the '56, I'd been pining for another. The room in these is awesome to have and, with the 'boxy' design, it's damn easy to kit out. the payload capacity is also nice, 4000lbs w. mine, so don't have to worry about exceeding the GVW and can engage in more robust and cheap construction. ..Willy.

Great thread, thanks for the pics!

One question: have you spent the winter in it? If so, how's that insulation worked out for you? And for that matter, what did you end up doing with the ceiling? Last pics I saw showed about 1" of EPS and nothing in the corners.

Yup, spent the winter in it. The ceiling has 1.5" polystyrene and the walls abt 2" rockwool insulation. The corners are all insulated and, for the winter, I had an insulating blanket hanging from the ceiling, behind the drivers' seat, to isolate the (cold) cab area from the living area. My old style propane convection furnace kept me toasty warm. ..Willy.

Willy said:
I had an insulating blanket hanging from the ceiling, behind the drivers' seat, to isolate the (cold) cab area from the living area. 
NICE! If I don't come up with any other ideas for separating the cab from the living area I may steal your idea. ;-)

Looks good willy! I can't wait to get started on my kurbmaster. Still trying to get figured out how we want it. Your pictures help a bunch!

Ballenxj said:
NICE! If I don't come up with any other ideas for separating the cab from the living area I may steal your idea. ;-)

Go ahead. I used a quilted bedspread, king size I believe, and had 2 sections attached to the ceiling, double thickness each, hanging down and 'interleaved' in the middle to make for easy access and keep the warm air in. Left abt 1' gap at the bottom for cold damp air to get to the front and condense. ..Willy.

Great minds think alike ;-)
I use appliance blankets (black/ gray) overlapped in Thirsty.
Left mine all the way to the floor for black out and heat retention.
They are screwed(with washers) to the sides and velcroed at the top so they can be rolled and bungeed to the side.

Nice rig, Willy. Looks like you're almost done. I'll be following along.

I'm a couple years away from hitting the road with a finished build...well, I reckon I'll be tinkering on it for the rest of my life in one way or the other.

Also nice to see someone who's lived in and loved a step van. I thought a lot before deciding to go that direction. Thanks for the increase in confidence.

Link to my build in my sig.