I'm (almost) officially a (step)vandweller again!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Willy- the 700 tranny requires shortening the drive shaft and changing the yoke, and, depending on the tailpiece(they came in at least 3 lengths) may require moving the cross member. If memory serves me correctly- Caprices used the 'right" tail piece.
Be sure to add a cooler too.

I would never install a 700 imho they are trash. if you must go with an auto I would go 4L80, these are t400 based transmissions much much stronger than a 700. if it was me and I wanted to keep the stick I would try to find a gear vendors OD. with these you can split gears. new they are expensive but if you look around you can find deals on used ones. highdesertranger

Hdr- gotta agree with you on gear venders being a great way to split gears, and yes they are bloody expensive new. IF one were able to find one for less than a grand, it would be cheaper and about the same work as a built 700.
I'd like to know more about the 4L80- I'm assuming it is electronically controlled which is something I shy from. I'd rather go to a manual than rely on electronics.
jmho

Willy- copy that! IMHO, iff'n you're not driving on highways a bunch, it ain't worth the bucks or the work. Mine has paid for itself, but I roll about 30k a year on highways.

I actually DO put on a lotta highway miles, and offroad, but sooooo tired. Finding a used gear splitter up here would be rather tough and probably outta my price range. Might have to switch to a standard 4/5 spd instead. Might also go the dual fuel route. ..Willy.

remember the insides of a gearvendors are all the same. allot of times you can just change the adaptor, sometimes you must change the whole case gearvendors sells all of this separately. on the 4L80 the first ones are non electric but these are rare, the 4L80e is the electronic version these are common. if you go to the older chevy diesel forums they like these because you can buy an aftermarket black box for them or change it to a manual valve body. with the manual valve body you must shift it yourself. if I was to do this conversion I would go with the manual valve body it's like a stick without the clutch. highdesertranger

well if your talking the 4L80e. you still need the electronics, so black box or manual vale body. unless that stage 4 is a manual conversion. in fact now that I think of it, it is, right. they basically convert it to a manual valve body. highdesertranger

Willy said:
It was just too good of a deal to pass up.. basically $1600 and with a buncha brand new parts. ..Willy.
Those type of deals are rare. At least for me they are.
What is the total length bumper to bumper?

If I remember correctly, it's a tad bit over 20'. Over here, it seems that one day nary a steppie is to be found on Craigslist (in my price range), and the next it's flooded with them. Just the other day I checked and there were 3. Thing I like about mine is it's having 2 HUGE (50 Gal) propane tanks. That gives me some awesome range and propane here is considerably cheaper than gas ($0.74/L vs $128/L). Right now, with the front right brake caliper replaced and ignition fixed, I figure it's gettin' somewhere around 8 mpg (maybe more) and gas would probably be not much better. ..Willy.

Hey Willy, where is over here?
That 20 ft step van sounds like the ideal size. I would love to find an affordable one in that size.

I'm up here in BC, Canada. To be more specific, I'm in the Okanagan, Osoyoos. I bought my van in the Fraser valley. ..Willy.

Willy said:
I'm up here in BC, Canada. To be more specific, I'm in the Okanagan, Osoyoos. I bought my van in the Fraser valley. ..Willy.

Thanks, and again, CONGRATS on your find.

Here are some more photos. It's still a work in progress, me being a lazy SOB, but slowly getting there. ..Willy.IMG_0377.JPGIMG_0378.JPGIMG_0379.JPGIMG_0380.JPGIMG_0382.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    129.3 KB
  • IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    115.5 KB
  • IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    75.1 KB
  • IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    71.6 KB
  • IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0382.JPG
    105.5 KB
More pics.. Those stainless steel holders on the wall were from a gas barbecue. IMG_0385.JPGIMG_0386.JPGIMG_0387.JPGIMG_0388.JPGIMG_0389.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    98.3 KB
  • IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    75.4 KB
  • IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    85.5 KB
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    90.9 KB
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    99.7 KB
Some of my shelving (OOOOOOH! AHHHHH!) and the 12v Hilti drill/driver that someone threw away and I converted to plug in 12v 'house' power. Notice the zerk grease fitting on the rear door hinge? .Willy.IMG_0390.JPGIMG_0391.JPGIMG_0392.JPGIMG_0393.JPGIMG_0395.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    82.7 KB
  • IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    99.6 KB
  • IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    99.5 KB
  • IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    117.2 KB
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    98.9 KB
This is what the cab looks like and my roof solar from the side. I'm parking beside this huge old olive tree in the hills and you can see the dirt road leading to it. This is a 'nice section with the rest being considerably rougher. ..Willy. IMG_0396.JPGIMG_0398.JPGIMG_0399.JPGIMG_0401.JPGIMG_0402.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    133.9 KB
  • IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    68.6 KB
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    124 KB
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    106.8 KB
  • IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    118.1 KB
Willy said:
Here are some more photos. 
Hi Willy, starting to look livable.
I note you have a Coleman double burner range top that uses white gas. I used one of those for years, and loved it. One word of caution though, I recommend lighting it first outside before using it as they were known to have flare ups sometimes when lighting. I had it happen once to me. No fun.

Ballenxj said:
Hi Willy, starting to look livable.
I note you have a Coleman double burner range top that uses white gas. I used one of those for years, and loved it. One word of caution though, I recommend lighting it first outside before using it as they were known to have flare ups sometimes when lighting. I had it happen once to me. No fun.

Yup, starting to get there. I like those old Coleman 2 burners; reliable and cheap to run (unleaded). Not too worried about flareups, had it happen before, just don't panic is all. Picked this one up, basically NIB, for $20 off Craigslist. ..Willy.