If you had to choose a class c ( except lazy daze ) which one would you choose?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connell857

Reaction score
Hi, I'm back again. 

I've been looking , studying . Going to dealerships just to see what size fits for me. 
 I have come to the conclusion that I don't want to go more than 23. Unless the deal is too good for a 24.

Would love to buy Laze daze!  But they're very hard to find. I really don't want to go over 10 years old. And I only have 20,000 to spend.

So I'm picking your minds today. If I can't find a lazy daze.
 Which one would you pick? I do know ,I would be wise to get a V8 or v10.
 Not over 50,000 mile . But other than lazy daze,I don't know what is any good out there? 
 Could you share with me your thoughts on other manufactures .

I used to think winnebago was a good brand name . But now there 
 seems to be way too many of them 
Out there. Just to use it as an example 

If you could help me I would appreciate it. Last time all of your suggestions were very helpful.  pinpoint my needs.

And this time I will check my post very 
 Making sure that I do not unexpectedly dropped F- bomb !

Born Free RVs seem to be well made. Triple E made in Canada looks good too. And BT Cruisers by Gulf Stream. Some of these might be considered B pluses instead of class Cs. Look for RVs that have a molded fiberglass front to avoid seams in that area that may leak. Front windows in the cabover are always a bad idea. Check very carefully for any signs of water damage.

Don't rule out other manufacturers because there are plenty of people happily living on all brands of RVs. Just check very carefully for problems. If you find one that you think is good post the ad here so that you can get feedback from more experienced people. Also take it to a mechanic and get it thoroughly inspected before you buy it.

You'll have to do some hard searching to find a RV that fits your criteria. Finding a short one might be especially difficult. Good luck and have fun searching!

Earlier this year I bought a 22' Triple E class c. Never heard of it when I first saw it, so l googled it. Made in Canada by Mennonites. Seems to be very well made.( aluminum frame, well insulated, and nice cabinets ) it's. on a ford e350 with v10 motor.( tons of power!) a 2000 model, maybe a little old, but nice shape. I paid 14k for it and put $1200 michelins on it immediately. Just an example that I hope helps you with your "find". P.s.- take your time looking, and the right one will appear.

I agree on both BornFree and Triple E, both as superior. Also, Fleetwoods IF they don't have the front window and showing that it leaked at some time. The area above the cab should be looked at carefully and if it shows water damage, pass. Trail lite actually made some good units, smaller ones. In older units, the care/maintenance can end up being more important than the manufacturer. The group here is good about giving thoughts/guidance on individual units, so I would look around at what is there and if you see something promising just ask. I would also look at the B+ unless you are set on having the over-the-cab space.

Some good brands posted already.
The MOST important thing in used is no leaks !
Look in the corners , seams , and under windows .Don't forget inside cabinets.
Post some pics and get the group to comment like always.......

I'm partial to the Chinooks with the molded fiberglass bodies.

They seem like a good unit based upon my parents experience and my years of observing others.

Dave

The difference between a Class C and a Class B+ is that the C has the bed over the cab, and the B+ doesn't

My personal theory is that the bed over the cab is for kids to sleep in.

Imagine trying to climb in or out of that if you were weak and sick from the flu, or if you had one of your legs in a cast?

You're better off looking for a B+, although I don't believe there are as many of them floating around used as there are Cs

If you don't find this free advice to be useful, your money back!

djkeev said:
I'm partial to the Chinooks with the molded fiberglass bodies.

They seem like a good unit based upon my parents experience and my years of observing others.

Dave

Yes me too. the Chinooks are great no matter how old they are compared to the tin-tops.

When I was a kid I thought "Chinook" meant "RV". I still have an irrational love for the Toy-powered models. I hope I don't find one in salvageable condition because I'd probably buy it. D'oh!

This is great information as I am also looking in this direction.

Had a older Chinook and liked it but window seals started leaking and door mounting hinges screws pulled out after several abusive slams by my three kids. Was on a single wheel rear axle beefed up Datsun sorta like a big van but did not have the pop top most had. It was a great vehicle till it wore out after 10 years of abuse.

I would avoid anything with a "rubber" roof, which pretty much rules out any Fleetwood.

blars said:
I would avoid anything with a "rubber" roof, which pretty much rules out any Fleetwood.

How about a Coach House .

OK...I am biased.  I totally recommend the Lazy Daze.  If you are single, the 24 footer might work out.  If a couple, the 27 footer for full-timing might be better because of breathing space.

Keep looking.  There are quite a few for sale, although they tend to hold their value.  We full-timed with our 27 footer.  Paid $28,000 used, and sold it for $14,000 eight years later.

Check out the membership web site for lots of ideas as well as used models (www.lazydazeowners.com).  They usually have a list of member vehicles for sale. They are a bit more initailly to purchase but keep their value well enough so you can resell it.  I figure about a $2000 depreciation each year.  My wife and I full timed for seven years and loved it. Good luck!

I have always been partial to Coach House (more B+ than C) because they are the only ones (that I know of) w/ a one-piece body. Problem is they seem to be expensive, no matter how old they may be. Occasionally (twice in the past 5 years) I've heard of one not exorbitantly priced for sale; ... usually by the heirs of the owner(s).

As someone else posted the main difference between a B+ and a C is the cab-over bunk so may want to keep those in mind also. Personally, while I look (and am currently lookin ) at both, I also prefer a C because the cab-over has that added "extra" space to store items; all other equal.

Since you are looking for something newish I would suggest that you try to find something that fits your needs that is on a GM chassis so Chevy or GMC.   Older Fords and Dodges, '90's or earlier, were good but I cannot recommend anything recent from those brands.