If things go bad you could always turn your van into a bumper pull trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent idea

I have seen a guy running a older Chevy van, minus engine, tranny and drive components mated to a tandem axle trailer running around southern NM a couple of times.

This seems like a much easier solution to extending the life of these older camper vans. One could stash the battery pack and small generator and much more in the engine compartment, retro fit the gas tank for grey or black water etc.

I love it.

If that van empty on a single axle trailer isn't already overloaded it's got to be real close. Highdesertranger

This one makes more sense:

VW bus trailer.jpg

Attachments

• VW bus trailer.jpg
    VW bus trailer.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 11
You could actually make a pusher trailer out of the VW to hook to your disabled vehicle! Some rescue departments on beach patrol used to use them when they had a lot of blown sand to cross, just hook up the trailer and have instant 4 wheel drive!

super cool

but does it 'meet the darn law requirements'?? I mean I don't know LOL but I love it!!

Tongue weight might also be a problem.

Definitely not enough rear overhang to balance the body plus contents' center of gravity near the rearward single axle.

If left "as is" as a drive axle, the differential still needs to maintained with gear oil.

yeah your right, the weight distribution would be horrible.. But cool Idea though.. I would have replaced the axles with trailer axels, both front and rear. Weight distribution solved.

RoamerRV428 said:
super cool

but does it 'meet the darn law requirements'??  I mean I don't know LOL but I love it!!
the only things truly needed to meet the law requirements are working taillights, marker lights, as long as it does not get loaded with more weight than it would be rated for.. your good to go.  you can build a camper from the ground up.. and get it licensed, registered and tag..

Well how can you all tell it still has the stock rear axle?

To me it appears some one set the body on a utility trailer. Remember a Dodge van has no frame, it's a unibody. So in the pic the front of it is not Dodge. So either it has been married to the unibody(bad idea IMO) or It's a whole trailer.

Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Well how can you all tell it still has the stock rear axle?

To me it appears some one set the body on a utility trailer.  Remember a Dodge van has no frame,  it's a unibody.  So in the pic the front of it is not Dodge.  So either it has been married to the unibody(bad idea IMO) or It's a whole trailer.

Highdesertranger
oh sure just had to come in a trump all of us huh  :D

yea the UNIQUE of it is a red flag for law enforcement to pull ya over and 'just see' if ya know what the hell ya got behind you and some of them can be 'quite' annoying that way......I would think alot of issues would be mute thru it all in travel...but that one darn day LOL

That's an old Chevy Roadtrek. Frame was probably extended to make the tongue. It would have to have a load equalizing hitch installed as the tanks are in front of the rear axle. I would bet dollars to donuts that the stock rear end is still under there. At least it would have built in trailer brakes!

"At least it would have built in trailer brakes!"

How would you activate the brakes?

Highdesertranger

Install a Ready Brake:

Ready Brake.gif

Attachments

• Ready Brake.gif
    Ready Brake.gif
    387.6 KB · Views: 10