Idiot-proof energy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy

Reaction score
I'll be honest - the moment I read something about inverters or wire stripping or battery grounding, I go a little crosseyed.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>I'm not going to have a huge amount of things that need electricity, and what I have is fairly small. The biggest drain would be my laptop.&nbsp;I'm just trying to get an idea of the easiest way I can get electricity. Something that won't require my having to build or wire anything. Because I'm useless. Seriously.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I've read about getting a switch installed that will allow you to use the car's battery and will shut it off before it drains too much to start. Does anyone recommend that? How much power could you get from the battery before the kill switch would shut you off?&nbsp;<br><div><br></div><div>Any help would be appreciated.</div></div>

come to the summer RTR, I will personally set you up with solar power...<br>

SoulRaven said:
come to the summer RTR, I will personally set you up with solar power...<br>
<div><br></div><div>That's an easy deal to say yes to. :)&nbsp;</div>

Lucy, I have an article here i wrote with you in mind. I try to keep technical jargon to a minimum and yet let you end up with power. It is here:<br>http://cheapgreenrvliving.com/How_To_Have_Electricity_2.html<br><br>SoulRaven isn't kidding, if you come with the parts for your solar install, we will install it all for you. That's true in June in the Sierras, or in January in Quartzsite. If you come in January, we can buy the parts right there in town or order them over the internet, saving you some money.<br><br>We are glad you are here and want to be of any help we can be!! Bob<br>

It could also be worth getting a dual battery smart switch. Worth having if you drive a fair bit.<br>

I am in the same spot as Lucy but I am trying to figure it out. &nbsp;Thanks for your guide bob. &nbsp;I read it and it actually didn't go over my head which was refreshing. &nbsp;I am hoping to be in Quartzsite for the winter. &nbsp;I haven't found the van I want to buy yet but I keep looking everyday. &nbsp;I like the idea of solar but how do you know someone won't steal it from the top of your van when you are parked somewhere and in a store? &nbsp;&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>I really like the idea of not using gas and paying the one time price for solar and enjoying energy for years to come. &nbsp; &nbsp;Bob could you provide the url for the agm deep cycle battery you recommend. &nbsp;I like the idea of agm because you said there is no toxin gas nor worries of spillage and no upkeep needed like adding water. &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>If the offer you gave Lucy stands for all who are complexed at ways to gain electricity then I would like to meet you guys at Quartszite. &nbsp;Till I get down there I like the idea of staying at rv parks once a week to charge up the battery. &nbsp;could you possibly give an url for the thingy needed to hook to the battery to be able to do that? &nbsp;It's still a mystery where to buy all these things. &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Thank you so much!! very kind of you all. &nbsp;It wasn't till I read your article bob that I realized a generator doesn't give electricity that a battery is required &nbsp;and the generator is for recharging it. haha.</div>

Hi Traveling chic here are some answers to your questions:<br><ul><li>I too have been worried about people stealing solar panels from my roof, but it almost never happens. You would think it would, but it doesn't seem to be much of an issue.</li><li>I plan to be in Quartzsite nealy all of next winter, and you (and everyone else on the forum) have a standing invitation to my camp where I will do everything I can to help you. Including doing the build/installation together. this is both before and after the RTR.</li><li>AGM batteries are universally available. Generally, the cost of shipping makes it better to buy them locally rather than over the internet. There are several places to buy them in QZT, so I suggest you wait to get them there. Here is a places I like to buy my solar from: http://www.solar-electric.com/batteries.html</li><li>To charge your batteries at an RV park, the cheapest and simplest way is with a "Smart" battery charger. This is the one I have been using for years and it works great: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1337368525&amp;sr=8-1</li></ul>Feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have, I love to help!! Bob<br>

Thank you Bob, it is much appreciated and I will definitely take you up on your offer for the help with putting in a solar panel. &nbsp;<div><br></div><div>I just thought you could point to a battery on the walmart or sears website where I could go and pick it up in person but get a good idea on which one to buy. &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I will hopefully be heading out in a month or two and see the north then make it down south for the winter so I will need to get my temporary power source setup done before hitting Quartzsite. &nbsp;That means I will buy the battery now not later.</div><div><br></div><div>So how do people get a hold of each other down in Quartzsite? Looking on the BLM site it says it is thousands of acres if I read right. &nbsp;</div>

Aren't those portable solar charges like 15 watts or something? How long would that take to charge a battery?&nbsp;

Latest posts