Ideas Please, to Insulate this Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuManchu

Reaction score
I have a '96 Dodge Ram 1500 that I've been sleeping in for the past month because of an untenable situation in an apartment I just moved into (don't ask) :(   At the rate things are going (looking at other crappy apartments), I may just opt for staying in the van all summer.

It's got these tinted full-size custom windows, but I recently cut sheets of 1/8" corrugated plastic that I use in my sign shop to fit inside, secured with velcro.  I use these at night to keep the light out from the neighboring businesses that are lit up like a baseball stadium.  The sheets are black and dark blue that I cut out of scrap, but I should probably at least change the black color to not absorb heat since the tinting will hide another dark color like blue or green (see second picture).

For the smaller side windows (not shown) and the back windows, which all swing out at the bottom, I use dark blue block-out shades cut to size and affixed with velcro to keep the light out, and also have one going across the front of the van by the front seats to block the front windshield.  The bed and one of the rear seats have been removed, going to remove the other rear seat.  This is all just for reference.

The van has this crappy cloth interior on the walls and ceiling that tears easily and I've ripped it in many places from moving signs, boxes, etc. in and out of the van.  The van gets hot during the summer if I want to take a nap in it during the afternoon.

So... what's the best way to do some reflectix in this baby to possibly cool it down?  Only on the walls?  Walls and ceiling?  What about those large side windows?  It can be painted over so as not to attract attention during the day if I open the side doors or back?  And yes, I saw the other thread about air gaps with reflectix... ;) 

Suggestions, please?? :shy: 
Qfm1aja.jpg

UoydT31.jpg

cvPLory.jpg

I've seen a couple people use (big) bubble wrap as a way to maintain a consistent air gap with reflectix. I couldn't guess what sort of thermal bridging properties the plastic might have, but it seemed like a smart idea to me. IIRC, one of the people that did that was here and reported they were pleased with how it worked out...

You could also paint the inside of the tinted windows for better privacy...guess that kinda depends how you feel about the van in general.

With all those windows it's going to be hard to keep the inside cool with just installing reflectix/bubble wrap. It will help some but not as good as a van with fewer windows.

I'm not saying don't do it but it won't be the be-all and end-all of temperature control.

The thing that will help the most is ventilation and fans.

One of the people here wrote of a major change in temps once he installed two roof vents both with reversible direction fans. He put one on intake and one of exhaust.

I only have one fan/roof vent in my van but with the high top and two side windows I can easily exhaust all the hot air in case it builds up while the van is parked in the sun with no windows open.

The one thing I did notice from your pics is that you've covered up the lower end of the windows that do have openings in them. Doing so prevents any breeze from circulating in the van.

With no roof vents, no open windows and no insulation that thing must become like an oven in the sun.

[quote pid='202054' dateline='1464052251']

The one thing I did notice from your pics is that you've covered up the lower end of the windows that do have openings in them. Doing so prevents any breeze from circulating in the van.

[/quote]

Good observation... but that is on the passenger side and is the only one of the 4 full-size windows that has a lower opening... AND the lower opening no longer works because that window was broken a few years back by a stray rock from a landscaper's weed-whacker and had a hell of a time finding a replacement... the replacement was full glass and did not have the space on the bottom for venting.  The venting mechanism from the inside still remains.

Roof vent.  That is the best single thing you can do.

cargovanconversion said:
Roof vent and a floor vent at the opposite end of the van.

Van Williams

+1

Having a low vent point (I.e. directly in the floor) will not only increase the effectiveness of a ceiling-mounted fan, but will also allow it to more effectively draft naturally even without a fan running as long as the fan cover is open.

ViaVacavi said:
+1

Having a low vent point (I.e. directly in the floor) will not only increase the effectiveness of a ceiling-mounted fan, but will also allow it to more effectively draft naturally even without a fan running as long as the fan cover is open.

A note of caution.  A floor vent placed near the exhaust can pull exhaust fumes into the van if the engine is running.  On the plus side, a open floor vent would prevent the buildup of propane fumes in the case of a propane leak.

Also, if you run any propane heater in the van, it seems to me that it could be an advantage to place it near a floor vent.  It would draw it's combustion air through that, and simultaneously heat the incoming cold air.  Probably be more comfortable than leaving a window cracked so cold air blows in through that.  Just a thought.

if anybody wants to put a floor vent in I would put a "deck plate" on it. this way if you want to shut it you can. deck plates are air and water tight. just do a search for deck plates. highdesertranger

I like this guy's take on insulation

His whole series is great. He converts an astro van into a nice camper.