Idea for maxx/fantastic fan to be integrated with vent window of Caravan.. crazy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catina

Reaction score
I just bought a 2007 Caravan and it has two side window in the back that pivot/vent.  I'm new to all of this, but haven't seen this "crazy" idea that I'm pondering.... so I apologize if it has already been covered or debunked.  I thought I saw a few people mention that a fan could be "stealth" if somehow integrated with a sunroof.  So I thought... well aren't the back venting windows kind of like a sideways sunroof???  So my crazy idea is to somehow build a 3 sided "box" that will perfectly cover one of those back/side windows and install a maxx/fantastic fan into the box.  Then whenever I want to use the fan, I simply open the vent window.  From the outside, no one would see the fan and I would have the airflow.  Can anyone tell me if this would work or not work.... or if to make it work there are other ideas I should consider?

Sounds like it could be made to work, but

would cut into interior space

noise less than perfect stealth.

A set of quiet computer fans exhausting out the forward floor, drawing air in from that vented window may be more difficult

need to screen and be sealable

but overcome those two con's.

Thanks!  To be honest, I've never seen or heard how loud one of these fans can be... I didn't realize they could be noisy!  If anyone knows if one brand/type is more quiet than others, that would be greatly appreciated info!

Anytime you open windows or vents you lose stealth, I didn't like opening my side/rear windows on my astrovan for that reason. I like 100 percent stealth 100 percent of the time. 

But using vents on the sides is the best way to keep cool, roof vents never did anything for me. This is how I did it on my van, I cut a hole and place these vents there. It works good and doesn't affect stealth. If you put one make sure its on the driver side which is always facing the street. if you can remove the rear window you can put a flat board with these types of vents and it would work alot better, the window would be completely gone nothing to block the airflow. In winter you can just cover the inside opening with foam insulation. You can find these vents at home depot, they got smaller and larger sizes and they are less then 10 dollars.

side vents.jpg

As far as fans I use these car radiator electric fans(Universal Fits 12 Inches Car Slim Pull Push Radiator Engine Bay Cooling Fan 12V) in my large swampcoolers, they work good and you can buy on ebay for 20 dollars/with shipping included, just get a speed controller(Portable Speed Controller 10A PWM DC Motor 12V-40V 13khz Control with Knob) also on ebay (about 5 dollars) and you have better speed control than a fantastic fan 3 speeds. This fan would work better if your limited in space all it needs is a small thin box with a blade guard. These work just as good as a fantastic fan. Amp usage is about 6 amps but with speed control you can throttle it down to less than 1 amp. I also have an endless breeze fantastic fan and they take up alot of space thats why I never used them in my swampcoolers.

All fans make noise at the higher rpms, the fantastic fan is quieter then most because it is speed governed to low rpms (less the 3 amps) thats its secret. It would be just as loud at higher rpms. But even at the high rpm, you need to be standing outside by the vent to hear it, thats why I recommend to install on the street side instead of the curb (for stealth purposes).

car radiator fan.jpg

Attachments

• side vents.jpg
    side vents.jpg
    92.9 KB
  • car radiator fan.jpg
    car radiator fan.jpg
    50.4 KB
A roof fan will be large, intrusive, and somewhat noisy if its inside the van with some sort of housing to attach it and seal it to the window. Outside of course, it would be subject to theft and preclude any hope of being low-profile. 

I would look at using a couple of the larger sized computer fans, build up your flat surface from plastic or wood to match up to the opening, cut the hole or holes for the computer fans. Wire it up to DC. 

Computer fans are fairly quiet, overall, and don't use nearly as much power as a roof fan. 

But, would you be willing to cut any kind of hole in the roof of the van?

You don't have to use a big 14" RV fan, you can buy the smaller 6" Ventline Fan, but it will need a round hole cut in the roof.

My fan is the MaxFann with 10 speeds and a thermostat for $134. I tried the computer fan (also known as muffin fan) and it was a big failure. To get the same volume of air moving, those fans need to be moving at a much faster speed which makes much more noise. Once you by a quality computer fan, a thermostat, a pwm or rheostat switch (so you can adjust speed), and the stuff needed to mount it, you are approaching the cost of a new fan with the stuff already built into it. It's so much easier just to buy a Fantastic Fan or MaxxFan and call it good. They are both superb products.

My fan is installed in a vertical position in the rear of the trailer at the top of the wall. I called MaxxAir and asked them if I could install the fan vertically and they said it is no problem but that I might get some rain coming in. That hasn't been a problem. It has been one of my best purchases.

If you don't mind the fan intruding into your limited space, it is a great idea; I say go for it with 100% confidence. The fans are extremely quiet unless they are on full blast. Super quiet. My hearing is quite good and I like it quiet, so for me to say it is quiet, that is saying something. This is just one dude's opinion, but I love my fan so much, I can't help but talk it up that much.

Canine said:
I tried the computer fan (also known as muffin fan) and it was a big failure. To get the same volume of air moving, those fans need to be moving at a much faster speed which makes much more noise. Once you by a quality computer fan, a thermostat, a pwm or rheostat switch (so you can adjust speed), and the stuff needed to mount it, you are approaching the cost of a new fan with the stuff already built into it. It's so much easier just to buy a Fantastic Fan or MaxxFan and call it good. They are both superb products.

And they work great for moving a large volume of air, such as needed in a trailer or RV. But she is in a Dodge Caravan, with pop-out windows that would limit inward airflow. 

Even a small computer fan or two could ventilate the interior quite well, especially at night in mild climates. I did it for many seasons in the window of a cabover truck back before we had APUs. (I still have the window insert that I made for it.) 

And actually, no speed controller or thermostat would be needed. Simple, plug it into the lighter port when needed. Two fans side by side could be used: One for low ventilation, two for high. And it would not intrude into the living space more than an inch or so.  

Apologies to the OP, I just can't imagine a MaxxAire or Fantastic fan hood (or lid) opened up inside of a Caravan. 

But, I'm open to hearing about it if it works.

The lids are easily removed. They don't need to remain attached.

The insert that comes with the MaxxFan or Fantastic Fan should work for making a box inside the van. It may need some bracing, but at least it is the right size and is made to be cut for the correct depth. That would help with installation.

I'm not afraid to build stuff or try new things, but sometimes there is a product that works better than anything I can make. I had spent a ton of time researching fans, quality, longevity, price, cfm, shrouds, noise, and air exchange only to fall on my face. There are many people who love muffin fans because they work so well for them, but that surely wasn't my experience. Judging by the OP's original comment, she seems to lack the skill to build something that would work well. Nothing wrong with that; we all have our abilities/limitations. However, if she is up to the challenge, using a muffin fan might be right up her alley.

I am in love with my thermostat, so I'm a bigger fan (lol) than most in that regard. I had experimented with a cheap 300 cfm (on max speed) fan shrouded to a window to get an idea how much 300 cfm was and was not satisfied; it usually moved enough air, but sometimes it got pretty chilly by the time I woke up. That doesn't happen now. Mr. Popeil had it right: "Set it and forget it." I want to be comfy not only in temperature, but with my time. I don't want to interrupt my sleep to get up to shut the fan off then go back to bed. When I find myself in hot weather, my trailer needs air flow and lots of it. Having 900 CFM is nice when needed. I'm not a snowbird, so I have more of a need to control my environment. It can be a toasty oat where I live.

You may want to buy a cheap $10 fan like I did that you know what the CFM is, then shroud it to the window. I used cardboard for the shroud; it is an excellent temporary material. Get one with three/four speeds to help you get a better idea of how much air is needed to be moved in your van for your comfort. It will also be noisier, so if you find the noise acceptable, when you do choose a quality fan, you will have an even quieter, stealthier van. Even better, I will offer you my original computer fan as I have no need for it now. It is a high quality one so you would know if a muffin fan will work. Should you accept the fan and it doesn't work for you, forward it to someone who could maybe benefit from it. PM me if you want it. Here is the link to what it is:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002M78L0A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Space is at a premium in a Caravan. My trailer has ample room for a full sized fan, so space is a non-issue for me.

Yeah I must admit I wasn't thinking of removing that hood or lid...THAT had me baffled.  :huh:

Makes sense now.

But 1/4th the price you pay is for the plastic bits...I wonder if they can even be ordered with no hood or lid?

BTW, I've had a Fantastic Fan installed in my van for 4 years now. 

If I had it to do over again, I would not mount a 14" vent fan of any type on a standard curved-roof van with the ribbed, corrugated or fluted roof. Too many issues with the fit, form, and function, ponding water in the low spots on the roof, and water leaks. And the airflow on any of the higher speeds is just not necessary most of the time. (BTW I removed the nichrome 'resistors' on my 3 speed and substituted in a PWM controller). Plus the dang thing is....how do I say this gently....its UGLY.  

But for a flat RV or trailer roof, yeah, no problem at all.

And the Fantastic Fan, along with an interior fan blowing air across me, made it possible to sleep comfortably in night time summer temps of up to about 85 degrees. So they DO work well.

For my new commercial truck topper/camper, I've ordered a Ventline, 6" roof fan...I think it will work out ok. And the roof of the topper is smooth and flat!

If you took a piece of plywood and cut a round hole in it , mount that $26 fan blowing air out and leaving a front window down a little ways you would be blowing out the hot air and drawing in the cooler air.  This would be a cheap way to see if it helped and later you could buy a more expensive fan with a thermostat.

Back in the truck driving days I had a loner truck for a short time, a Freightliner Cascadia and it had sleeper vent fans in place of the normal vents.  I thought they were pretty nice and did a great job of keeping steady air flow thru the sleeper.   So I just did a search for them and found this:

https://truckpartsinventory.com/parts/details/80611067

This is the inside part, the outside would be just some sort of grill.  I think the ones I used had an open and close door you operated from the inside so you could seal it off in rainy or cold weather.  One on either side with the capability of running in reverse would sure make a nice steady breeze.  Hope this helps a little.

Motrukdriver said:
Back in the truck driving days I had a loner truck for a short time, a Freightliner Cascadia and it had sleeper vent fans in place of the normal vents.  I thought they were pretty nice and did a great job of keeping steady air flow thru the sleeper.   So I just did a search for them and found this:

I drove a Cascadia for 5 years and it had a very similar insert for the pop-out vent, but on ours, you could pull out the fan 'module', flip it around, and re-insert it...to reverse the airflow. 

One on each side.

Worked well.

The only issue I see with them and this forum is the price. You know the saying "Big trucks, big bucks" and I don't think there is anything cheap about big trucks except those chrome lug nut covers at the truck stop. That one I posted a link to was somewhat reasonable at $65 but I found another one listed for I think $120 so there's that. Probably could scour a truck salvage yard and find them cheaper... if you took them out of course.

jonyjoe303 said:
Anytime you open windows or vents you lose stealth, I didn't like opening my side/rear windows on my astrovan for that reason. I like 100 percent stealth 100 percent of the time. 

But using vents on the sides is the best way to keep cool, roof vents never did anything for me. 

Awesome info!  I'm thinking that the back window in the pivot/vent position wouldn't look too red flaggie... I see parked minivans that way all the time.
I like your vote for side vents!

tx2sturgis said:
But, would you be willing to cut any kind of hole in the roof of the van?

You don't have to use a big 14" RV fan, you can buy the smaller 6" Ventline Fan, but it will need a round hole cut in the roof.

I AM willing to do a roof van.... I was just thinking it might lower my "stealth score"... but maybe a roof rack that somehow hides the roof fan could be an option.

Canine said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If you don't mind the fan intruding into your limited space, it is a great idea; I say go for it with 100% confidence. The fans are extremely quiet unless they are on full blast. Super quiet. My hearing is quite good and I like it quiet, so for me to say it is quiet, that is saying something. This is just one dude's opinion, but I love my fan so much, I can't help but talk it up that much.[/font]

Ooooh that is such good info about the company saying the fan could install vertically!  Never occurred to me to call and ask them.  hee hee  I am at least going to order the fan and do a cardboard mock-up to get a feel for the amount of interior space I would lose.  Part of why I do not want to install it into the roof of this van is because I may want to sell the van later, and I would rather have the fan usable for when I get the biggie van and put it in the roof of that one.  Still kicking around the different ideas.  The input from forum members is so helpful!

tx2sturgis said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]One on each side.[/font]

ooooh.... if my experimentation with one side works... I just might get greedy and install the setup in both back/vent window!  One bringing air in and one sucking it out.  Or would that be overkill?  haha

You do need a passive vent, ideally other side of the living space, or at least your usual spot in between.

No need to put a fan on both.

Thanks!  So theoretically, if I end up with boxed fan mount idea on the one side... then would just having the other pivot window opened be enough?

Yes, with screening of course.

Just plan strategically for cross-breezes.

Rolling down a front window if you're in front. . .

Latest posts