Idea for Car Dwellers...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadworthy

Reaction score
Check this out: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...omfort-need-convince-499-friends-buy-too.html

It's an air mattress designed to even out the backseat of a sedan (example car looks similar to a Toyota or Honda sedan), so that you can sleep in the backseat.

Costs $25, but they're only selling them wholesale right now, in sets of 500. And of course, you either need to be really short or enjoy sleeping curled up. But hey, it's an option--especially if you want to go on the road selling them. ;-)

It also is good just for inspiration--instead, you could custom-build boxes to fill in the rear seat floor area, then roll/fold blankets to fit/even out the slant of the backseat, then put in a foam mattress cut to fit your backseat area. Might end up costing more than that mattress, but you don't need to worry about popping, you'd have storage, and you don't have to buy an extra 499 of them.

May not be ideal for most people, but it's an idea. I bet more than one person has seen that picture and thought "lunch-hour nap time!" LOL

Yup, it would take away some valued storage space in the footwells. A cooler on one side and duffel on the other.
:D Can't you imagine some cardweller puling a trailer behind a Honda full of those things trying to sell them.

The basic problem is that most of us are taller than the door to door width of a car--and it is more comfortable to lay stretched out.

I don't know how anyone can sleep in a car comfortably for a long stretch. I can barely take a nap in my car seat before my back starts aching. I suppose if one is shorter than average, and is a young person under 21, then maybe it's do-able for a bit. In any case, more power to ya for those doing it.

I'm not really sure sleeping in a car can really be too comfortable. It all depends upon the specific model car as well. I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about.

My Mom passed away around two weeks ago. I'm getting her Ford Crown Victoria which has a big back seat with a 53 inch width back seat. At 5' 10" tall (70 inches) so I'm not entirely sure if I could get comfortable sleeping on that back seat. I'm tempted to keep the car as it was well maintained & I know everything that has ever happened with that car. I know that it's a reliable car. (Mods, pardon the slightly "off topic" comment.) Now I'm wondering if I can get comfortable sleeping at an odd angle in back seat. If I can make it work I may decide to keep the car and not buy a van.

I never gave living in a car much of a choice until I inherited my Mom's Ford Crown Vic. As far as car seats go, that's a fairly large car seat. I'll let you know how it works out when I try a test run in the Crown Vic back seat.

A friend in Tucson has a Crown Vic. She put storage boxes in the back footwells, a wedge of foam in the rear with a foam mattress...sleeps sorta diagonally with lots of room. With windows black tinted, a clean white car, and black curtain behind the seats she has slept in some of the finest hotel parking lots being overlooked as a waiting towncar.
She parks stealth about anywhere. After all, who would expect someone is living in a well kept "granny car" in a nice neighborhood.

I told her she should write a story..."Gone At 4 AM", as shortly thereafter she will be found at the coffee shop headed for the restroom with a cup waiting upon finishing her morning wash-up.
Quite a gal. 29, 6' tall, from Minn, found Tucson after 4 yrs on the road and you couldn't get her to leave except for a trip. She's got a good connection with a temp outfit and works a few days a week...when she wants to.
Shoot, if you're gonna live in a car the Vic has a lot of room.
Personally, I'd trade for a good van....just me.

bindi&us, that's what I was considering doing with storage bins in the rear footwells. I've slept in back seats before (not planned of course) and it wasn't too uncomfortable under the circumstances. I'll be considering buying some type of foam mattress to make the back seat into a possible bed. I do plan having the darkest window tint legally possible adding to the stealth factor. By coincidence, Mom's CV is also white as well. The less light that I allow into the car the better. A car is the ultimate in stealth parking.

I've been considering some type of curtain between the front & back seat to hide the sleeping area. I'd be putting some type of sun visor in the windshield to further hide my living arrangements. For the time being the car is a possible temporary living situation. I may still buy a van since that was my original plan. Mom left me enough money for me to buy some type of van as well. The CV may be a temporary situation but it's something I may try for a short while. I'm still inclined to buying a van regardless.

For the time being I'm going to experiment with "car-dwelling" for a short while. Since it's only approximately 220 miles from Las Vegas to Quartzsite I'm considering attending that RTR meetup to get a few pointers on van-dwelling. Thanks for the tips!

I was told there several folks at the RTR camp. Everyone is friendly and helpful...I'm sure you'll benefit from their experiences.

I think tint is the same deal in Nv as in Az...back windows can be "limo black". I've pushed the limit on the fronts a little and never been hassled.

Good luck and we'll see ya in Q.

I was told there several folks at the RTR camp. Everyone is friendly and helpful...I'm sure you'll benefit from their experiences.

I think tint is the same deal in Nv as in Az...back windows can be "limo black". I've pushed the limit on the fronts a little and never been hassled.

Good luck and we'll see ya in Q.

Sorry for the duplicate post....lousy wifi connection.

You're probably correct that "limo black" is the darkest that you can install on cars nowadays. I may not go that dark in tint but I'd like to decrease the amount of sunlight passing through to a reasonable level. I was surprised that Q was so close to Vegas as well. Now I'm planning all the items for a visit to Q. For the time being I'm living in a "sticks'n'bricks" but I'm looking for helpful hints. I'll have to return to Vegas and finish out my current lease to make a fresh start. One step at a time. Hope to see you at Q.