I want to watch T.V in my van...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of options. For me I purchased a 19" 12V TV/DVD and added a small magnetic-base antenna that attaches to the van roof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074SHZHFF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
It stores away in a small stuff bag and when in use, is not affected by high winds--as are larger antennas. I also carry an adjustable painter's pole that I can attach to the rear door hinges. This allows the antenna to be placed well above the roof of the van for better reception (height is everything for pulling in weaker stations). Obviously a bigger antenna would be better, but storage, placement and wind issues then become a problem. YMMV

You could watch/stream Pluto TV thru your web browser if you have a broadband connection or WIFI, or download the Pluto TV app on your Cell if you have plenty of data in your plan. (or if at a WIFI location)

Pluto TV

Lots of options. For me I purchased a 19" 12V TV/DVD and added a small magnetic-base antenna that attaches to the van roof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074SHZHFF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
It stores away in a small stuff bag and when in use, is not affected by high winds--as are larger antennas. I also carry an adjustable painter's pole that I can attach to the rear door hinges. This allows the antenna to be placed well above the roof of the van for better reception (height is everything for pulling in weaker stations). Obviously a bigger antenna would be better, but storage, placement and wind issues then become a problem. YMMV
Thank you!
Streaming it from the internet or getting a satellite dish service.

Trying to get reliable signals from local broadcast television towers is going to be frustrating therefore no where close to being the best.

I have a 12-volt TV in my rig which I can use to pickup over-the-air TV as well as cable. Since I generally boondock I typically will not have cable. I also have a firestick which I can use to stream to my TV. But I’ve found out that I rarely watch TV and instead watch video content on my iPad.

Why? Well although the TV is 12 volt DC, the firestick requires AC and since I usually boondock that would require that I start my generator because I do not have an inverter. But that really doesn’t bother me because I’ve been able to download a whole bunch of streaming apps onto my iPad, and the iPad uses much less power than the TV which lets me boondock longer.

Also there is an another advantage to using the iPad streaming services. I can watch video content anywhere in my rig and not be tied down to the TV.

Streaming it from the internet or getting a satellite dish service.

Trying to get reliable signals from local broadcast television towers is going to be frustrating therefore no where close to being the best.
Wouldn't that depend on where he plans on traveling? I know in Illinois I pull in tons of stations without cable. Then I add a DVD player for movies; and FB Marketplace has thousands of movies for $ .50 to $2.00 each.

This trailer has an antenna on the roof, but I had no luck getting the TV that came with the trailer to work. Tried another TV (of my daughter's) and still no luck.

So I bought a 24" Roku TV (the 32 inch that came with the trailer was kinda big for the small bedroom) and it works perfectly. Still haven't tried to search for local channels. Hope Roku doesn't prevent that, like cable does.

I have a 12-volt TV in my rig which I can use to pickup over-the-air TV as well as cable. Since I generally boondock I typically will not have cable. I also have a firestick which I can use to stream to my TV. But I’ve found out that I rarely watch TV and instead watch video content on my iPad.

Why? Well although the TV is 12 volt DC, the firestick requires AC and since I usually boondock that would require that I start my generator because I do not have an inverter. But that really doesn’t bother me because I’ve been able to download a whole bunch of streaming apps onto my iPad, and the iPad uses much less power than the TV which lets me boondock longer.

Also there is an another advantage to using the iPad streaming services. I can watch video content anywhere in my rig and not be tied down to the TV.
Your fire stick will plug into a USB port my tv has one on the back.

I have a small TV that has a DVD player on it. When I have access to shore power, I watch DVD's. I have tried a variety of different antennas in an attempt to get local channels without much success. Most of the time I stream TV on my phone. I have Spectrum for TV service and I use their app.

I have a small TV that has a DVD player on it. When I have access to shore power, I watch DVD's. I have tried a variety of different antennas in an attempt to get local channels without much success. Most of the time I stream TV on my phone. I have Spectrum for TV service and I use their app.
Why is it so hard to pull in local channels with just an antenna? You tried near a decent sized metro area and poor results?

Latest posts