I think I have the low cost portable solar power solution for boondocking.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I think I have the low cost portable solar power solution for boondocking.

14-watt portable folding panel charges electronics and aa/aaa batteries. Built in voltage regulator supplies 2 amps max and no storage battery.

A 30-foot cable keeps the panels in the sun and me and my electronics in the shade.

A 4-port USB hub connects 10” tablet w/ wireless full size keyboard and mouse, verizon jetpack, cell phone, Bluetooth speakers, Bluetooth headset, 5" Portable Fan, and aa/aaa battery charger.

Amazon links:

http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Effi...sbs_cps_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YZNZVKBGK9QG3HEQC0A

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LM5WU96...TF8&colid=1K3NKVBML1ZZ1&coliid=I2MA1F9GXEQ05D

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AGX4YO...TF8&colid=1K3NKVBML1ZZ1&coliid=I1LQ428M6YXXY6

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054LBRJI...TF8&colid=1K3NKVBML1ZZ1&coliid=I1DLGVMR9DUSD5

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J4E0VNE...lid=1K3NKVBML1ZZ1&coliid=I3NWN7BW3OFCYI&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-Portab...sr=8-13&keywords=battery+powered+fan+portable

Not going to get yourself very far with that, if possible, get the 100w Renogy kit, attach it to a rolling toolbox or cart/trunk of some sort and toss a small AGM battery in the mix. You could also do a 50w panel if space is an issue and I'm sure you can find a really good deal on a battery from craigslist.

This would also give you storage for wiring, cords, the ability to power a small inverter and do a really clean install of it all. I'm guessing you'll spend more like $150 on the solar, $50 on a good used battery and $40 on an enclosure, $25 on a cheap used inverter but, you will have a functional system for that price.

Good luck!

Why not go with some useful solar and a battery that will supply power any time day or night??

For over a year, I kept our solar portable so we could park in shade. A 100 W panel will do fine for a single battery and most likely give you more than enough power to meet your needs....without dinking with a setup you'll wish you hadn't wasted your money on.
Do it right once and be happy.
Should your needs increase, you can always add another panel and another battery to the system.

Just my cheapo way of looking at the deal.

bindi&us said:
Should your needs increase, you can always add another panel and another battery to the system.

This is another very good point, you could go with a 100w or 50w panel and if you need more add another panel, either inside the storage or attached via hinges that fold out.

I have a 15watt panel. it's a battery maintainer. it will not run all those things you listed. I also have a 50 watt panel, this size is great for portability. you need to add up your use and get a panel and battery of appropriate size. there have been several good threads on here for that. highdesertranger

14 watts is next to nothing, unless used as a maintainer only.

If the battery sees no loads, then 14 watts when used as a maintenance charger, can indeed overcharge a battery and requires a charge controller.

Do note that you can find lots of info out there in interweb world saying small solar panels require no controller.
This is not true, and has fried many a battery.

You can be frugal and you can be cheap. A wise person knows the difference.

From one of the reviews at Amazon.

“This unit charged up my IPhone in just over two hours...just incredible. My IPad air charged about 33% in two hours.”

Well I thought we were talking about charging a large Lead acid vehicle battery, not a I phone or Ipad battery. These batteries only require about 15 watts to charge for an hour or two and small panels can indeed do these.

Different strategy than I would apply, but certainly workable for these smaller devices.

"At 5.5 VDC and 2 Amps the unit is outputting 11 watts. The flap on the solar panel also states that it can output 7.2 volts but in my measurements the regulated output was 5.5 VDC max output."

If the links are amazon affiliate links, then this is spam?

RVTravel said:

I could be wrong - but I am an Amazon affiliate and it doesn't look like an affiliate link to me.

RVTravel said:

This website is full of affiliate links including from the owner.

I frequently get the feeling that much of the advice given here is aimed at someone making money rather than the best advice available.

Very simple needs only require a very simple solution.

Under ideal circumstances this may work okay. But it seems like you aren't leaving much leeway for storms in the summer or short days in winter.

However, for not much money you could add a "system" or two and probably overcome that.
Bob

Off grid 24 -7 wrote:
This website is full of affiliate links including from the owner.
I frequently get the feeling that much of the advice given here is aimed at someone making money rather than the best advice available.

= = = = = = = = = =

Since I am the only one who can make money off this site I can only assume you are accusing me of of lying to and deceiving people because I am a greedy asshole.

Is that what you are saying?
Bob

240 watt panel left over from a home install craigslist $150 dollars 2 huge used AGM batteries $108.00 tax included. MPPT 30 amp controller 129.00 large gauge copper wire $40.00. Labor free as it was built for me by me.

This thread has gone off topic by the farces of evil in four-ton bread trucks and those falsely accusing me of using another mans property for my own personal gain.

Bob, Cyndi, Stern thanks for your valued contributions.

Bob this is going to be used from November thru March between Ocala NF and Lake Okeechobee Florida. Therefore with maybe one cloudy day a week on average and the longest days of the winter I hope to generate 15 amps per day.

For refrigeration I am going with a little 3-gallon Igloo industrial cooler with ice. Most times I will be located within 5 miles of a mini mart and my camp will be a minimal setup and take down so I can drive away when needed.

I have done a time study charging my smart phone (I have two newer batteries for this phone) using the supplied LG ac charger that has a 5.1v .7 amp dc output. The results are in one hour the battery went from 43% to 81% so theoretically in full sun between 10am and 3pm I should be able to charge my cell phone in less than one hour.

I have a fold open solar charger for my iPhone that is the size of an old flip phone. Just leave it on my dash in the sun.

I hate to tell you this, but I don't think 15 amps is a realistic goal for the dead of winter. Nearly everyone overestimates the amount of sun you get in the winter. You are producing about an amp per hour under ideal conditions. In December the sun is only above the horizon for about 10 hours per day so the best you could do is get 10 amps. But in the winter the sun is so much lower on the horizon that during most of those 10 hours you will not get a full amp. My guess is you would be lucky to get 7 amps per day.

My mom lives in Lady Lake just south of Ocala and I've spent a lot of time there November through February and I remember a lot of cloudy or overcast days. I remember a fair amount of rain. Some years a lot of rain.

In the summer it may work, but not in in those winter months.