I need your help/support!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free_to_be_me

Reaction score
Hello everyone, 

I am currently trying to pay off all my debt so that I can use my money towards my first cargo van. I am very excited to start my van life. I'm working towards minimalizing my life as much as I can in preparation while I make my payments. 

My family and friends DO NOT understand this lifestyle. They already don't understand my veganism. I'm beginning to feel isolated and beaten down. This is my dream! I will be using renewable energy! I will TRAVEL all the time. And, I will be proudly maintaining my minimalist lifestyle by staying in a small space.

They are of course concerned about my safety, which I try to reassure them about. They also seem to think my life will be terrible because I won't be hosting dinners in a house. I have no interest in doing such things! It's not me. They don't listen. They just keep trying to push me to move out of this room and rent a 1 bedroom apartment.  :-/

I think I need to surround myself with different people that will help me follow my dreams  :(
Anyone have advice or even know about van dweller meet ups in Ontario?

Good job finding the forum, FTBM!! you are definitely among some of the finest people in the world here! Enjoy the journey and don't let the negative nellies get to you!

Welcome to the tribe!!! :-} I'm glad you found us, we are great people, helpful and love giving advise. Check out Bob Wells CheapRVliving youtube video https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAj7O3LCDbkIR54hAn6Zz7A
He also started this site you found. For more info on cargo builds & info on his travels check out Brian AdventureVanMan - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh37UFI3Jyt3LBibKv5CKtQ <--- theses are direct links to them. if you haven't found them yet and these are just a few I've found. I have learn so much from these guys and many more. Just be patient as some of us are traveling, it may take a bit to reply on here. Unfortunately the non supporting people don't understand nomad life and think its crazy, they don't realize we are free, happier, & better off.
Tomorrow will be a better day & you have all of us on your side now :-D

This is a good place for inspiration and fellow like minded people.
Your mentioning "meetup" in Ontario made me think of the online site Meetup (https://www.meetup.com/)
I've used that in the past to find lots of different activities in my area such as hiking, kayaking even one group that gets together monthly at a local theater to watch Doctor Who.  Once before going on a trip to Chicago I found a Chicago Meetup group that was going for a bike ride and then pub stop afterwards and joined them.  Pretty much any type of interest has a meetup group.
I joined one group interested in talking about Tiny houses to get ideas for small space living.
I just did a quick search in my city for a van group but didn't see one.  Would be a good idea.
On this site you could try to set up a meetup in the Gatherings Formal and Informal section.  Good luck!

Hey man dont let 'em beat you down. Its a shocker moving into a van or trailer for the first time. But the rewards are so much better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the CRVL forums Free! We are here to help and support you! Feel free to ask about anything. You'll be sure to get helpful advice. Cruise around the forums and see what all of the van dwellers, van dwelling builders, future van dwellers and van dweller dreamers are doing!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Ask yourself, do any of the people who don't understand/like what you are doing, paying any of your bills, do they own you in any way shape or form? if you answered those Qs. with no, then too bad, send em pics of the grand canyon at sun set and you drinking a glass of your favorite beverage. i personally don't want to go to my death bed saying Dang i wish i'd done that. its your life no one can live it but you.

Welcome aboard Free !

The people that don't understand and discourage you from following your dreams do not hang out here........

There are some of our tribe in your neck of th' woods as well as just south of the border.
If they don't chime in within a few days start a new thread with something like
Ontario area GTG ????? as a title.

Free_to_be_me said:
My family and friends DO NOT understand this lifestyle. They already don't understand my veganism. I'm beginning to feel isolated and beaten down. This is my dream! I will be using renewable energy! I will TRAVEL all the time. And, I will be proudly maintaining my minimalist lifestyle by staying in a small space.

God gave us our relatives, but thank heavens we can choose our friends.  My van family feels more like family to me than my bio family ever did.  Stick to your guns (values).  I been at this for a decade now for all the reasons you mentioned.  Never give up.  Live your dream.  Ignore all nay-sayers...they are small-minded people who will never have the vision you have.  Walk away, the faster the better.  Don't even dialog with them about it, just do it.  Good luck.  (oh, I have never felt unsafe out here... only when I am visiting the homes of relatives)

Swankie

These are really inspiring comments everyone!  :heart:
I'm so glad I joined this forum.

Latest posts