I have an idea, or two

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bLEEp

Reaction score
So I currently own a 1991 dodge 150 318 v8
I know the engine is worth more than what I paid for the truck which also included 4 kicker 6x9s and a pioneer touch screen DVD head unit.
So I am wondering how much work it would take to remove the bed, and mount some sort of livable space to the frame???  I am a horticulturist so this is not my area lol
If nothing else I am thinking I should buy a dodge van that I could mount this 318 up in.  The motor is in great condition and runs like a top.  
My wife and I first planned to pull a 30' behind the truck but decided that's to much to maneuver and all so we decided on a van.  Now that we are about to pull the trigger I am wondering what to do with ol' red.

She is primary driver as I suffer seizures and until I get to a mmj state they are unpredictable as I refuse to take zombie pills.
She does not want to manage a trailer mostly.

I think it's a great idea but I would recommend at least a 3/4 ton, 1 ton would be better. while your at it make it a 4x4. highdesertranger

well the reason I recommended the Capri or the homebuilt is both weigh only about 700lb (for the basic Capri cowboy) that would work in a 1/2 ton, if they don't pack a lot of stuff with them,
for a full size truck camper definitely a 3/4 or 1 ton would be needed

The bed will come off with 6 or 8 bolts, and disconnect the wires to the lights.
What it takes to build something depends how handy you are. I turned mine into a flatbed.
What discouraged me about building a camper is it is 1/2 ton, a camper tall enough to slide in would cause the height to be over 10', (bed is 3' off the ground. It would make a nice storage area if you were to pull a small trailer.
I took the easy road and bought a van that I am working on.
DSC01578b.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01578b.jpg
    DSC01578b.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 9
Visit an Escapees Boot Camp or event lots of little old ladies pulling small campers either getting assistance or learning how with others to watch make it easy.

highdesertranger said:
I think it's a great idea but I would recommend at least a 3/4 ton,  1 ton would be better.  while your at it make it a 4x4.   highdesertranger

That was my main concern, scratch that.  I'll probably just pull the 318 and scrap the body.  Sell the engine or find a dodge that needs a new, strong motor.

bLEEp said:
That was my main concern, scratch that.  I'll probably just pull the 318 and scrap the body.  Sell the engine or find a dodge that needs a new, strong motor.

Or you can put an ad on CL asking to trade for a high top van.  

Lots of possibilities in our area.

Latest posts