I have a winabego with a starter issues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean and Buster

Reaction score
Ok friend's I have been doing repair on a neighbor winabego it has a gm 454 v8 new batteries and a new starter was running fine now when I hit the key it clicking like the battery is dead

When you try to start it, do the headlights dim/go out? If so, you probably have a bad battery cable or not a good connection between the cable and battery or frame. All connections should be shiny. If the cable looks rusted where it enters the connector, the cable is probably bad.

couple of things,

1. older GM's are infamous for this for a verity of reasons,
A. as the wire gets old the resistance goes up
B. Cheap ass rebuilds
C. heat soak on the starter
D. previous owners wire jobs
E. starter heat shield removed

2. here's what I would do,
A. get a brand new(not a rebuilt) ACDelco starter
B. find a heat-shield for the starter(one of a newer 350/5.7) will work and it doesn't have to be from an RV
C. put a Hot Start circuit on it.

I have found that this is a sure fire way to solve the problem once and for all

highdesertranger

i had a car do this and i would rap the starter a few times w a small hammer and
she would start right up. if yours responds this way replace the starter.

highdesertranger said:
2.  here's what I would do,
   A.  get a brand new(not a rebuilt) ACDelco starter
   B.  find a heat-shield for the starter(one of a newer 350/5.7) will work and it doesn't have to be from an RV
   C.  put a Hot Start circuit on it.

I have found that this is a sure fire way to solve the problem once and for all

highdesertranger

This is great sound advice could not have made it more simple.

so true,

if it ain't there it ain't going to break. to bad vehicle manufacturers don't follow this simple rule. to be fair people like bells and whistles.

highdesertranger

I do love me some electric door locks and windows. The Geo I used to tow had crank windows and manual locks. At least it was narrow enough to lean across to operate the passenger side.

Why would a solenoid on leveling jacks cause the engine motor not to start?