I don't think I'm stealthy...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try going to a truckstop, and see if they've got a used tire they'll sell ya cheap.

They often keep used tires around for truckers to put on their trailers, that will last long enough to get them home.

Worth a try.

Best of Luck, and Safe Travels!!

(I too was wondering what you were towing there.)

I am a living reminder of the force inside one of those tires as I have a steel plate in my left forearm from a front tractor tire that almost made it clean through the roof of a gas station that I worked at.

As a bus driver, I can tell you that you cannot take the condition of your air brakes lightly. Neither will law enforcement if you have an accident and they suspect your brakes as a possible cause.

morongobill said:
I am a living reminder of the force inside one of those tires as I have a steel plate in my left forearm from a front tractor tire that almost made it clean through the roof of a gas station that I worked at.

As a bus driver, I can tell you that you cannot take the condition of your air brakes lightly. Neither will law enforcement if you have an accident and they suspect your brakes as a possible cause.

Spending $1000 on four new tires. Allignment-balance-mounting-road hazard. Always rotate at 5000 miles with oil change. Get brakes checked for how much is left. It's not easy keeping a vehicle on the road.

Got the replacement cartridge into the air dryer, drained all three ping tanks and added an air chuck (brass "T" with  drain valve at the bottom) to the rear ping tank, put a coiled short air hose on it so the quick connect on the end was next to the side of the bus. Hooked up the old air hose (the only one that was NOT stolen along with David's air compressor). Got all the tires filled with air except two - the flat and an inner one that I cannot reach the valve. Looking at the tires while filling makes me think I will replace them all. Maybe I can get some take offs. The truck stop is too far to take the bus with a flat on it. But I need to call the people who contract the school buses here and see if they can tell me who is the best place to go to in town for tires. The place I would have normally gone to has closed.

Still, I got the radiator hose replaced and the power steering hose replaced. I now have power steering. Driving the bus around the block and down a narrow alley so I could back the bus into the back yard was a lot easier. I was concerned that my 90lb daughter would not be able to wrangle the steering wheel and therefore unable to drive the bus. I managed to miss the power pole, the fence posts, the Class C in the driveway and the neighbour's concrete block fence.

highdesertranger good for you.  now you have OBA(on board air).  they make valve stems that can fill from the outside so you don't have to remove the outer tire or can you get it with a dual tire chuck like this one,  http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/ir/milton-dual-chuck-tire-inflator-with-gauge .  notice how the head is two sided.  now get your brakes checked.  highdesertranger

My brakes seem to be working just fine now. When I opened the valve on the ping tanks to drain them, one did not have any air in it at all, just black yuk. I was told that I needed to replace my air dryer cartridge. Done and I got brakes plus parking brakes. I have the dual air chuck. The tire valve that I cannot get to is positioned between the two openings on the outer tire. I would have to use the little single air chuck and I can't get my hand in there to get the short valve stem cap off. I think I will be replacing the tires all around. When I do that, I will have the valves positioned to where I can get to them.

compassrose said:
The tire valve that I cannot get to is positioned between the two openings on the outer tire. I would have to use the little single air chuck and I can't get my hand in there to get the short valve stem cap off. I think I will be replacing the tires all around. When I do that, I will have the valves positioned to where I can get to them.

Sounds like whoever put those wheels on, didn't take the time to line up the holes so anyone would have access to the air valves in the inside tires. LAME-O's!!!!

It's an easy fix, but you've gotta have the tools to do it...like a tire shop will.

Good to hear about those brakes coming back online.