I danced,sung,begged,borrowed and..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats!

I Was looking at a sweet 73 Chinook in Montana a few weeks ago.

They were asking $8,995 I offered $5,000 sight unseen and after a few failed deals with others he called me back and said it's mine at that price.

I talked to some friends, my Wife and I Tossed it around until we decided that while it was a good price and looked great in photos that it was too far away, an unknown quantity and some felt it was too old. They felt that Some basic Air Bags were a minimal safety feature that one should have.

I'm not sure I chose 100% wisely to let it go...... But I passed on it.

It may still be there if anyone is looking for one. Let me know if you buy it and what a smoking deal I passed up!

Anyway...... I'm jealous! Enjoy your new toy!

Dave

Well Gary that is one SWEET Chinook.

And I'm like'in the lime stripe too. Great buy for sure.

Richard

Gary68 said:
older restoration but i will get you a pic of the lime green shag thats remains under the counters :)

LOL!!  My folks first new RV was a 1974 Titan, ACRES of orange shag in that bad boy!!

Harvest gold!!! Oh it's like a small rolling piece of my childhood!! I was born in 1977 and my childhood home looked like that.
I love it! I wouldn't change anything that wasn't broken. She's lovely just the way she is.

Gary: Great find and congrats to you.

Now, where did I store my Lovin' Spoonful records .  .  .

Well done Gary, I hope she serves you well. Are you coming to RTR?

thanks folks,just analyzing the situation,first up resealing roof vents and a little wire clean up

any been there done that recomendations on a tube of goo to reseal the roof vents

fiberglass roof looks good so far should i put a couple coats of that rubberized sealer on it or not?

Congrats on the awesome buy!

What kind of roof is on it? Different types of roofs use different types of sealant. Whatever you do don't use any tar based ones. Nasty stuff to deal with.

There is a thread running right now on roof sealers.

Just step AWAY from using silicone, long term it doesn't last and leaves a non stick film behind hindering use of the proper sealer.

Dave

Gary68 said:
then danced and sung some more hit the bank on mom for $1500

and bought a 1977 chevy chinook concourse for $3000 400cid and 16.5 wheels and all,more then i wanted but sometime you just got to pay up

so with out further delay,introducing

The fat van
Congrats! That's a good looking rig, and I'm a bit jealous. ;) 
About the roof vent, buy a gasket and repair it right. Better yet, buy a Fantastic Fan, mount it over the roof vent (after you've re-gasketed it) and be happy. :cool:

For my roof vent fan i used butyl tape before screwing it down.   I then put silicon caulk over it for good measure.   The caulk didn't hold up well, but the butyl tape has done great.  I dont know if it works on fiberglass though. :dodgy: