I am extremely disappointed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catalekid

Reaction score
I was unable to try the passenger seat on our new (to us) 2002 Dodge Ram Van 3500 because the seat would not slide all the way back as the wheelchair lift was in the way. So it was purchased without me sitting in the seat I will be occupying full time.

Today we removed the lift (quite a chore) and I was looking forward to siding the seat all the way to the rear.

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!  Not nearly enough room for the size 13 shoes and legs of a man that is 6'3" and 300 pounds. Not even close to enough room.

So now I have to think about it.  My only idea right now is to actually relocate the passenger seat about 12" rearward or sell this van and look for another of a different brand

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I probably should add the problem is twofold ..... not enough length and the width where my feet go is totally unacceptable.

If there is no bulkhead installed yet, you could put in a swivel and or a larger captain's chair on the passenger side. Does your van have the engine sticking up in the way there in the middle? There was a taller gal with a build video, she had a promaster van.
-crofter

Yes .... the engine cowling causes the area for my feet to be too narrow. I have to put one foot on top of the other which is very uncomfortable, especially for a longer ride.

If you can move the seat back that shouldn’t be too hard depending on how it’s mounted and if there is a partition behind it. But idk what you can do about lack of room for your feet. It’s very unfortunate. Do you usually have this problem with other vehicles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The seat is bolted to the floor.
It can be moved further back, until it fits you comfortably.
This is something that will take one hour at a shop and will not cost too much either.

Don't get frustrated for things that are easy to fix.

catalekid said:
Yes .... the engine cowling causes the area for my feet to be too narrow. I have to put one foot on top of the other which is very uncomfortable, especially for a longer ride.
Here is a promaster build with swivel seat . 
-,crofter

Description: link to youtube video.

I especially like the rear ladder and roof deck, as well as their water system.

Here is that tall person s van build. She uses a swivel seat, says she is 6'2" so that gives you an idea on the parts of this build.
-crofter

Description: You tube video

Thank you all for your encouragement and advice.

After sleeping on it I think I will move the seat back and maybe put it on a swivel base.

Are you sure that moving the passenger seat back 12" will be enough to give you the foot room that you need? Do you realize that you will be blocking or partial blocking the side door? For what it is worth, my opinion is that this vehicle will not work for you.

If you move the seat back 12 inches will the seat belt do it’s job properly, another way around it may be to raise the seat if you have the head room

The dilemma has been solved ...... I am going to mount the current front passenger seat on a swivel mount in the same position as a second row passenger side captains chair.

catalekid said:
 . . . I am going to mount the current front passenger seat on a swivel mount in the same position as a second row passenger side captains chair.

Back seat driver?  :p