I-40 west caravan to RTR 2019

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AnFear said:
Well I'm thinking of this route. Maybe meet up with one of the caravans for a couple of days.
I'm leaving Tuesday morning

https://goo.gl/maps/3QwgsZPRkzr

That route takes you through the Rockies and potential bad weather. Might try staying east of the rockies until you get to southern New Mexico and then turn west. I have not driven these roads so this is more of an observation than recommendation.

kygreg said:
That route takes you through the Rockies and potential bad weather. Might try staying east of the rockies until you get to southern New Mexico and then turn west. I have not driven these roads so this is more of an observation than recommendation.

Thanks. I thought of going that way, anxious to get to warmer weather. If I go over the mountains though I can go to Arches and Moab. Haven't seen that yet.
I've taken Interstate 70 over the mountains many times but only as far as Glenwood Springs. The government is very good at keeping the roads clear so I'm not worried about that.
If you ever get the chance to take that road I highly recommend it.

kygreg said:

That is the most direct route, if you like interstates, but keep in mind I-44 (not I-40) thru Oklahoma is a toll road the entire length except when you are in OKC. 

The other route you posted will take you thru some very heavy traffic in several large cities...traffic jams are routine during the mornings and evenings. 

There are always alternate US highways and state highways, but again, keep informed of the weather along your route before you begin.

tx2sturgis said:
That is the most direct route, if you like interstates, but keep in mind I-44 (not I-40) thru Oklahoma is a toll road the entire length except when you are in OKC. 

The other route you posted will take you thru some very heavy traffic in several large cities...traffic jams are routine during the mornings and evenings. 

There are always alternate US highways and state highways, but again, keep informed of the weather along your route before you begin.

I'm not especially fond of interstates, but I have a long way to go and they are the fastest route. If you have an alternative, I would really like to see it, I've never driven through this part of the country. Thanks

kygreg said:
I'm not especially fond of interstates, but I have a long way to go and they are the fastest route. If you have an alternative, I would really like to see it, I've never driven through this part of the country. Thanks

On that map, click options, then click 'avoid highways'....and yes, the distance and time will increase.

Will you actually be in a hurry? 

Keep in mind that traveling at 70-80 mph can burn more fuel, or going slower and trying to stay out of the way of fast traffic can frazzle your nerves. I-40 across Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and even New Mexico can be quite busy especially if the other major E-W routes have bad weather. These major E-W highways are major transportation corridors...meaning LOTS of trucks and holiday travelers mixing it up.

Relaxing on the less-traveled secondary highways is an option. I would not follow that secondary route to the letter, because some of the diversions are too far out of route, and dont make sense. But some do.  

Once you get into Oklahoma, Texas Panhandle, New Mexico, and Arizona, US 412 and then US 60 are entirely pleasant for traveling. The eastern sections of US412 are tolls, but you can skip those sections if you dont want to pay tolls. But US 412 is a good road, with light traffic, and tolls are not excessive for 2 axle vehicles. 

US 60 takes the traveler thru some sparse areas, and of course off the beatern path, so you need to watch the weather and make sure your vehicle is in good mechanical condition.

But across Western Oklahoma, Texas Panhandle, New Mexico, and Arizona, US 60 (and then US 70 if taking a more southern route) takes you thru smaller towns, close to mom-n-pop restaurants, roadside attractions, cheap motels, and thru wide open spaces. Some sections have 55 mph speed limits, so be aware of that. 

I'm just presenting options, not recomendations. If you end up in the middle of nowhere in West Podunk New Mexico at 3 am with a blown radiator hose, help will be a LONG way from you.

Good luck in your travels.

tx2sturgis said:
I'm just presenting options, not recomendations. If you end up in the middle of nowhere in West Podunk New Mexico at 3 am with a blown radiator hose, help will be a LONG way from you.

Good luck in your travels.
Thanks for the great advise, under normal conditions, this is what I would do. I have limited time and attending the RTR, so with that destination in mind, I'm willing to tolerate the traffic. Three days travel is already a lot, any deviation and it goes to 4 or 5 days which eats up too much of my time off.

While some people denigrate traveling on the Interstate it is almost always the fastest way to drive between two points. While the back roads can be scenic so can many sections of the Interstate. Romantic notions of driving the blue highways aside it's generally the safer option as well. I personally find it relaxing to not have to worry about cross traffic, and having limited access exits and entrances were I have to contend with merging traffic. While the speed limits are high especially out west you're not forced to drive at the maximum. There's a lot of empty spaces out there where you can drive 55 to 65 without being a nuisance. Just use common sense and watch your mirrors.
Enjoy your trip  :)