Hy-Tech Insulating Paints for Fiberglass High Top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbuelaLoca

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I just ordered the Hy-Tech Insulating Paint and the primer. Trish, the sales lady, said it would work great on the fiberglass top, so a gallon of primer and a gallon of the paint (I've forgotten the type, but will update when I get the email) is $79 plus shipping made it $117 and some change. Will be here Monday. Super stoked to be just painting on the insulation. I'm more than happy to be the guinea pig for this product!![/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Hy-Tech Insulating Paints[/font]

I also posted this under my conversion thread, so no, you're not seeing double  :D

I looked at that too, but too expensive for me! However, if I were going to spray paint my entire van, I might consider the Lizard Skin for the ease! I am lazier than I am poor, regretfully!

There's so many things to say about the ceramic paint additives, but unless you can cancel the order and get a refund, perhaps I'll keep them to myself... ;)

Please feel free to say them. That is exactly what this thread is for!! I am going to go ahead and use the product and will definitely post my results and findings!!

AbuelaLoca- using the stuff on the inside??? Sternwake used material on the outside (based on how I read the attached convo link)?

Using it on the inside would be even more pointless...it is absolutely not insulation. It's about 1 mark above a marketing scam.

Other than reflecting some heat, I can't see how a paint could do anything, and putting it on the inside would mitigate any chances of it even being able to do that. Their website just screams infomercial quality scam.

My two cents, i'd add some real insulation.

Yes, I plan on painting the interior of my high top with this! What would be the best way to actually determine if there is a temperature difference? Give me some ideas of how to do a proper experiment of before and after... I know that the temperature day to day fluctuates, so I would try to paint when there will be 3 or 4 consecutive days at a certain temp. I can keep the reflectix on the windows or off... what would y'all suggest?

Liquid rubber roof , rolls on easy to the roofs exterior

Attachments

• shopping.jpeg
    shopping.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 3
I do believe I can have access to a digital heat meter when I go to do testing. Thanks for the ideas, Guy! That actually makes it possible for me to start experimenting as soon as I get the paint! I think I'll do at least two different spots on both sides as they will receive the sun differently based on where the van is parked.

X2 small test area,,,,the best you can hope for,,with paint type coatings is reflective,,,as opposed to insulative properties

I mixed the hy-tech ceramic beads into rustoleum topside marine enamel at the exact ratio as directed.

The theory is the hollow vaccuum filled ceramic spheres will rise to the top to the pain film forming a barrier which will act as insulation.

What actually happens is no different than if one put some fine sand in their paint. The grit is not close enough together to actually insulate anything, if indeed they are actually a hollow vaccuum.

It only effectively makes the paint into a sandpaper like surface that is impossible to clean. I put two layers down, hoping the second would fill thegaps in the first. Then put something like 4 or 5 more coats down without any additive, just to hide the sandpaper. After the 4th layer of additive free paint, it was still rough, and I sanded it with 220 grit and painted one m,ore layer. It is still rough. It collects dirt like nothing else and is so freaking hard to clean it is probably my biggest van project regret.

Not only did I wind up using way more paint that required, but wasting 5 days putting on one more coat of paint each day, as the directions state one coat every 24 hours.

I did this during a dry santa ana event so no overnight dew was affecting the outcome.

I do have an IR meter, but did not perform any tests which would have any relevence as the variables cannot be controlled. I bet the thickness of 5 layers of paint would alome increase the insulative value somewhat

I would gift this hy-tech paint to a loathed enemy, and spend time and effort insulating the inside of the van instead, and work on ventilation.

I am ashamed I fell for the marketing. I still have a bag of the ceramic beads, but have not had any use for making a rough slip proof surface into 100 grit sandpaper, which cannot be cleaned.

My recommendation is to not waste any time or effort or emotion on this product

Well, I am going for it. I will try to make a couple of patches first and see what happens! I did think about your situation when I ordered this! I'm not sure why I ignored it, but I ordered anyway! I may end up with egg on my face, but I hear it's a great moisturizer! LOL

I considered lizard skin for my RV. I had to find another answer because I could not afford it.

But...it is amazing stuff. They coated one side of a teflon frying pan. Got it good and hot...
Put an ice cube on each side. The ice cube on the non-coated side melted, sizzled, turned to steam almost instantly, The ice cube on the coated side remained an ice cube. Slowly began to melt after 30 seconds. Amazing stuff.

The guy I know who races cars said this is the stuff he uses to coat the engine compartment to help keep the driver cool. So..I figured this was the stuff. Just cannot afford it.

Well, I  hope your  test patches don't come out too rough.  Make sure to mix the paint thoroughtly first incase the 'vaccuum filled grit' has settled to the bottom.

Perhaps their own paint with the additive is better than the additive added to other paints, or the specific paint I chose, which I otherwise like very much.

If it does come out rough, well it is extremely hard to clean.  Imagine trying to clean dull 120 grit sandpaper with a sponge.  The sponge gets shredded, leaving little bits as it disintegrates.

Thinking on that, if it works as advertised and makes a difference in temperature, I will probably put a headliner of sorts inside the high top whichcould alleviate the roughness. If there isn't a difference, or not enough of a difference, I'll look into another way... I hate to lose even a centimeter of headroom because it's pretty close, so I'm trying to avoid foam board for the ceiling!