Howdy from a Newbie!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LynnJa999

Reaction score
Hey, folks! I'm new to all this 'full time RV' stuff... I've though about it for many years - my Dad was a bit of a nomad, and I definitely got his DNA... I had a very rough bout with breast cancer at 50, and can no longer see the point to sitting at a desk, listening to my arteries harden. I don't have my RV yet - and, honestly, not sure if I'm going to get a camper van, or a pull-along trailer and a pickup truck, or similar - but I'm going to make some kind of move this year. I'm planning to go to the RTR, but I'll be in my white Prius, with a tent. 'Run what ya brung...' right? That's what I've got right now, so that's how you'll get me! lol  I hope to meet you folks out there. :)

Welcome Lynn to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. see you at the RTR. highdesertranger

Hi Lynn, I'm also new to the forum and haven't come close to deciding the RV that's best for me. Each one has it's pros and cons.

Tenting at the RTR: the BLM land seems to have a surface called desert pavement. As I understand it's layers of rock, big and little. The wind blows sometimes. Very long, very sturdy, tent stakes that go deep into the rocky, gravely layer are necessary to keep tents in place. I think HDR recommended 18' x 1/2" rebar stakes. Others suggested giant lag bolts pushed into the "ground" with impact tools.

I decided to sleep in the back of my pickup topper instead of tenting.

Welcome LynnJa999!!
I drove a Prius v for a few years and loved it but I wasn't dwelling in it. A rolling battery bank w/ more storage room than most SUV's.

I completely resonate w/ the better than sitting around listening to my arteries harden. It's MUCH better.

My plan exactly - only I've decided not to go to RTR after all, because of my health. I had a few back problems in the last month and decided it might not be wise to be climbing into the back of my car to sleep. Anyhow, can't wait to get my travel vehicle, which is a van . . . I will give the car to my daughter, and start my travels next spring. I also have a nomadic parent - my mother traveled in an RV for years ... so I get how it can be in your DNA.

EIGHTEEN FOOT STAKES? Sounds like overkill.

Goodness, my first mistake... eighteen inches long, not a quarter of an inch less. More mistakes in the future. Just looking for the right opportunity.

Latest posts