How to work when living in a van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneironaut

Reaction score
Teen looking to live in a van/RV in the future. I've got most everything planned out except how I'll make money. I was thinking about just selling things online but I'll need something more reliable like a job I can go to every day. Is there a way to get like a permanent mailing address or something and just use that as my address if I were to apply to a job? Like if I decided to work at a restraunt or something and they asked for an address on the application lol?

Unlike other kids my age, instead of looking forward to buying that awesome car in the future, I'm looking forward to buying a van and converting it into a nice stealth camper. Not any time soon though, a few years from now when I decide to move out. I already know I'll love the idea since I've been a "loner" most of my life so to speak. I just want to live my life and travel around, not being tied down to any property and having an enormous amount of debt piled up from the beginning. Just thinking about getting a van/rv right off the bat and traveling the country with a girl who may be willingly to do it with me. (Still have no idea how ill find her though lol.)

But yeah, anyways. Please don't judge me :) I've always loved to live in small places, it makes me feel more comfortable. So I know I'll have no problem living on the road or out in the woods somewhere. Like I said, my only problem is finding jobs. Is it possible to work a normal job (not odd jobs) where I go to work every day at the same place, and just go back home to my van which would be parked somewhere other than an rv park or something? Also without needing to use someone else's address?

Maybe working online would be the best option for me. I'm not sure how reliable online jobs are though. It would be awesome to make money while traveling around and being able to work from inside my home while me and my girl relax. I just feel like I have the "van dweller" blood in me lol.

I already have a list of conversations and stuff I'm planning to do. Sorry for the long thread, just wanted to ramble on about some things. Can't wait to see the replies :)

Optimistic Paranoid said:

[quote pid='194915' dateline='1461318069']

What if I went to trade school to learn a trade like plumbing or welding or something? Would this be something that could offer me some jobs wherever I traveled? I need to get creative. Like what if I were to start my own plumbing business after trade school?
Get some design sticker magents that can get placed on side my van perhaps? Have my number on there And allow people to see it when I'm driving around. Get to keep all my neccesary tools in the van as well. I don't know how practical this would be. Sounds extremely nice though. Another idea would be to eventually expand my business and create a website for it as well. Plumbing doesn't seem so bad... At least I'll get to meet new people every day while traveling.
[/quote]

Or i can do this:

Go to trade school for plumbing and get an apprenticeship. Start a small plumbing business and save up some money. Then i could buy some land out in the woods somewhere and build a nice small log cabin since their actually pretty cheap to build compared to living in an apartment or buying a house. From there i could start to live cheaply and off the grid. I wouldn't need to depend on a water supply because i could have my own private source of water. I can dispose of my waste in an environment-friendly way and have no need to be connected to sewer lines and paying for plumbing. I can be relieved from power bills since i'll be able to generate my own power with solar panels and use alternative fuels or wind power to make up any defict. You see? I could live cheaply and cut out many costs that would have other wise been required for me had i been living a city life. My plumbing business would be nice and would make me a good living, plus the land i'll be on can be expanded as well and i could build as many more houses as i want on it or even perhaps a freaking barn. Instead of taking what's given to me, why not take an apartment fresh out of high school, go to trade school and get a good job, save up and buy some land and be nothing but creative right from the start? I could save more money buy exercising naturally such as riding a bike or something instead of getting a gym membership, i can hike, or go swimming. Living off the grid would also allow me to improve my survival skills and i could learn to hunt and work for what i get. I think this life style would be great for me. I could find a nice beautiful lady to live with, and if we decide to have kids, they can be home schooled online.

I can have a garden and grow food to have an even cheaper amount of money i have to spend, i can also build a farm and get farm animals to save money on eggs, or milk, or meat, etc.

Before jumping into this straight away in my twenties, i plan to rent out a cabin in the woods perhaps to see how it really is living a life style like this. Then once i've made up my mind, i'll plan out when i'll start to do everything.

Why take a house that has already been built for me in the city when i can put in sweat and tears to build my own home?

Oneironaut said:
Teen looking to live in a van/RV in the future. I've got most everything planned out except how I'll make money. I was thinking about just selling things online but I'll need something more reliable like a job I can go to every day. Is there a way to get like a permanent mailing address or something and just use that as my address if I were to apply to a job? Like if I decided to work at a restraunt or something and they asked for an address on the application lol?

Unlike other kids my age, instead of looking forward to buying that awesome car in the future, I'm looking forward to buying a van and converting it into a nice stealth camper. Not any time soon though, a few years from now when I decide to move out. I already know I'll love the idea since I've been a "loner" most of my life so to speak. I just want to live my life and travel around, not being tied down to any property and having an enormous amount of debt piled up from the beginning. Just thinking about getting a van/rv right off the bat and traveling the country with a girl who may be willingly to do it with me. (Still have no idea how ill find her though lol.)

But yeah, anyways. Please don't judge me :) I've always loved to live in small places, it makes me feel more comfortable. So I know I'll have no problem living on the road or out in the woods somewhere. Like I said, my only problem is finding jobs. Is it possible to work a normal job (not odd jobs) where I go to work every day at the same place, and just go back home to my van which would be parked somewhere other than an rv park or something? Also without needing to use someone else's address?

Maybe working online would be the best option for me. I'm not sure how reliable online jobs are though. It would be awesome to make money whole traveling around and being able to work from inside my home while me and my girl relax. I just feel like I have the "van dweller" blood in me lol.

I already have a list of conversations and stuff I'm planning to do. Sorry for the long thread, just wanted to ramble on about some things. Can't wait to see the replies :)

Hello    There is a thread here on the forums called  "Money Matters"  this might give you some ideas....As I am older than dirt I will tell you what I told my son and my 3 teen age grand sons, all of them quite young the first time this was brought up.
1.   What do you like to do, what are your interests.
2.    Let's think about what kind of jobs these things would help you get.

The biggie as far as I'm concerned is what I was taught growing up............learn something new everyday about at least one thing.          If you want something work for it
 I have always been able to find work in many different fields.  I believe this is because I always tried to learn how to do anything I did not how to do. 

At 11ys I baby sat in the neighborhood, 14ys  P.T. in a beauty shop styling wigs and hair pieces, 16ys bartending and so on.  As a adult I've been employed from sewing factories to a substance abuse counselor in a criminal justice system.....plus many more.

At 10 to 12ys  my son worked P.T. at a fireworks stand, mowed yards, and filled in as a cook at a Dairy Queen.  By the time he was 15ys he had a motorcycle which he paid 50%  of, attended school  and cooked at Larry Beards Catfish Cabin.  

His # 1 son at 15ys thru 17ys....learned how to do paint and body work and engine repair on classic cars from a neighbor, did farm work and repairs, cooked in fast food industry, played football in school while also in the marching,show, and jazz bands...had enough credits to skip his senior year and plans on college to become a medical lab supervisor.......he will be 18ys in may 2016.

I think being multi-skilled has helped myself and family members to always be able to provide for ourselves

I also think having at least one if not more of what I call "portable job skills" is important.  These are the skills that can help get a job any where.  Maybe you already have a idea of what you would like to do to earn a living.

I don't think anyone here will laugh or judge you for wanting a Vandwelling lifestyle.  There are all kinds of people here and they have a lot of knowledge that they will share with others.  

I'm a old lady and I'm learning about solar power and a ton of other stuff just right here at CRVL

welcome       tjb

Hello and Welcome Oneironaut,

First and foremost, there is no judgement here. So if it helps use us as your sounding board. I hope you don't mind suggestions here and there because here's one: get an education without getting in debt for years to come. Plumbing would be a good field to go into. It can be done in one particular area or you can travel to jobs around the country. So if you want you can travel for a few years and then build a cabin or vise versa. Anything related to construction is cyclical. It's a feast or famine industry. Knowing that you can plan accordingly. Put some money away in times of feast to make it easier on you in times of famine. In practical terms, work hard when the work is there, and have fun when it's not.

Before you make a decision on your education make sure you choose something you will enjoy doing. Don't go into a field just because of the money, money don't buy happiness. I admire you (I know I said no judgement), you realized early on that big houses and big debts are not for you.

Enjoy what ever you decide to do. You have time on your side. You can try several things before you find what really makes you happy.

Nicole

If you learn the electricians trade, you can easily make money charging $50-$100 per room to install ceiling fans. $50 each to assemble and hang if there is already a fan box. If you have to put in the wiring, box, etc. That's $100 as it usually entails a trip to the attic. You would need to learn some basic carpentry and drywall skills too, but this is all pretty easy. You can do lighting too. People will just pay this because they don't want to work with electricity. I did it when I was in school. Easy money, and you can get clients from craigslist (we didn't have it then) and make friends with the electrical guys at Home Depot for referrals.

Depending on your family's income level, or when you turn 18, you may qualify for free or reduced trade school tuition through programs such as Job Corps. My stepson learned welding this way. Job Corps also provides housing or assistance. There are usually employers ready to hire people right out of those programs. This is a way to get experience.

Welcome to the CRVL forums!

I think learning a trade now would be a good idea , always there to fall back on just in case .......Work at it to earn your van. Lots of construction sites wherever you go are a possibility for on the road jobs too (maybe even let you be a night watchman , for double paychecks ?).....

Alternative jobs out on the road (some with campsites) could be working at theme parks and National Parks for concessionaires , also workamping at campgrounds .....

Amazon , Christmas tree , pumpkin and fireworks lots. Join a carnival or circus .

Online sales are possible but I don't think you'll make a steady income from that so you'll need something else too.

Just some thoughts.....more to come from others no doubt !

Welcome to the CRVL forums Oneironaut!  And kudos for considering a different lifestyle at a young age! You have a lot to consider. Do you want to stay where you are living now? If so, land and a cabin makes more sense than a van. Is the climate good for subsistence farming? How expensive is the land? What about building codes, septic permits and the cost for drilling a well?

If you want to travel then living in a van would be great. Check into union apprenticeship programs on your area. The training is free, you work 40 hours a week and get paid (not much in the beginning) and when you have your journeyman's papers you can work all over the country. The pay is good and you can chose to work part time and travel the rest of the time.

For now since you're still young and living at home, keep your grades up in school. You may change your mind and decide to do something totally different. Get a job as soon as you are able and save as much as possible. Think about what you enjoy doing and consider all of the future jobs that would fit with your interests.  Popeye has listed a lot of job that are possible to do while van dwelling.

We have a few forum members in their 20s who are vehicle dwelling. Read about of their adventures -
https://www.facebook.com/Dirtbagadventures/
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-My-winter-wanderings

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

I think early on you need to decide if you want to live in one area or if you want to travel widely.

If you live in one area, then running your own business is doable.

If you want to travel widely, then not so much.  Most areas require business licenses for trades like plumber and electrician.  Moreover, if you were a homeowner who needed a plumber, would YOU hire someone just passing through, knowing that if a problem with his work shows up a month later, you'll never find him again cause he's now in another state?

On the other hand, NEW CONSTRUCTION could work out very well for you.  Lots of house framers, roofers, masons and so on move around to wherever construction is booming.  If you've got the right credentials, no reason why you couldn't get hired by a plumber to work as part of his crew for a few months.

When I was in high school, I worked summers as a bricklayer's helper in upstate NY.  Come winter, he would throw his tools in his car and take off for the southwest to work down there until spring, then come back to NY.

in this day and age I believe any of the skilled trades is a good way to go. highdesertranger

I 100% agree that learning a trade is the way to go!!Many its it's done through unions so look into apprenticeships schools through unions.

I bet if you look around there are lots of ways to get a taste of the different trades where you are. Take a shop class at school or auto mechanic class at the community college. Have your parents ask their friends who are in the trades if they will take you to work so you get a idea of what the job is like or just com hang with them while they do their own.

There is a need for people who will get their hands dirty because so few are willing. If you keep trying, you find a way to get the training.
Bob

x2 on the auto mechanics class. even if you don't want to be a mechanic, you are going to live in a vehicle. better to know how to fix it. highdesertranger

Figured you can have any job you want. Doesn't matter where you live.

Best wishes to you. I wish I had these kind of ideas for the future when I was 18.

Electrical is a great trade. Minor tool costs compared to the other trades. Excellent pay and job portability.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Oneironaut : )
I shared some other thoughts on another Q you posted at another thread but wanted to answer your two Q's I've quoted below:

Q's by : Oneironaut
Q1...Is there a way to get like a permanent mailing address or something and just use that as my address.
A1: Yes. My wife and I are doing this now. We pay for a private mail box at a local UPS store. The DMV and FedTax Return recognize this as our address. The only peeps we have issue with is folk like American Express who insist on a brick&mortor address and we have a work around they've accepted for that. So for ~12 bucks a month we have an address that will accept Fed Ex/UPS/USPS mail and is secure.

Q2...Is it possible to work a normal job (not odd jobs) where I go to work every day at the same place, and just go back home to my van which would be parked somewhere other than an rv park or something?
A2: Yes. I did this for about 18 months when I was managing a record shop in the San Francisco Bay Area. I was living full time in a Chevy Hi-Cube box van and parked mainly in Mall parking lots. Total stealth on the outside, tricked out on the inside. I do like the idea of learning a trade as so many have suggested. I imagine that I would have lived the van-lifestyle from day one had I gone that route (though I would not have met the girl that became my wife...she would be someone else I suppose!).

Both my wife and I like small places too...we live full time in a 43ft toyhauler, and use our van for monthly adventures.

: ) Thom