How to secure generator? [split]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattySprinter

Reaction score
Itripper said:
I've never personally never had a problem and rarely hear of anything bad happening (only Slab City), I have mainly heard of generators being stolen, and tweakers stealing solar panels in the cities. Actual boondocking or camping, it is almost unheard of.

I am going to get a generator right before I hit the road - What is the best way you recommend to secure it?

PattySprinter said:
I am going to get a generator right before I hit the road - What is the best way you recommend to secure it?

If it is a portable generator the best way is to keep it out of sight. Hardened steel chain or cable locks are ok, but can be cut by pros. I would recommend this if you have to keep it outside Kryptonite Fahgettaboutit Chain & Disk lock Bolt cutters can't cut this lock, a cut off wheel on a battery powered grinder will but it will take 10 minutes of loud noise and sparks for it to happen.
[img=250x250]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51juCRZEz8L.jpg[/img]

PattySprinter said:

I picked up a Honda EU1000i last summer.  I plan run it for 3-4 hours ( within 10' of me and in view), if needed to recharge house battery. Even though it's pretty quiet, the latest I will run it is 30 minutes before sunset. Not only do I want to enjoy the sunset in peace, but also out of respect for my neighbors. But if I have to run it, I will move at least 100', or more from others to do so. (RTR 2018)

I looked at different ways to secure it (such a hassle), but I'll just carry it in my P/U, extra cab area.  Drape an old shirt over it, for extra security., when not using it. Truck windows are tinted.

Here's the link: http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu1000i[/SIZE]
28.7 dry weight(minus the fuel), is all I wanted to handle. I'll only carry 1 gallon of fuel in a DOT approved container.  

best way would be to put it in a quiet box bolted to a hitch tray and chained to the hitch itself. then alarmed with these.

http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/Gadgets.html

they're 12 gauge blank perimeter alarms. If the thing falls or tries to be taken you will know it.

plus maybe stay away from scab city

PattySprinter said:

What are the different types of burglars? 1. The Opportunist  2. The Scout  3. The Prowler  4.  The Professional

Here's the link giving full details of each: https://www.protectamerica.com/home...nd-sound/different-types-burglars_8148[/SIZE]

Many many moons ago. I had known a thief, personally. He was my sister's BIL. That was 2 previous marriage's ago for her. He was a hard core druggie. He was in and out of prison. Mostly for theft. He last illegal deed got him Life. He was high as a kite on, I don't recall the drug(back in 70's), he strangled his GF. It was a neighbor's wife  he would get high with when the hubby was at work. He stole many many things in his career.

If a thief want's it bad enough, he will find a way to get it. 

Only theft prevention I would reccomend, if item is kept outside is one of these, but only reloaded with rock salt.
But, only govt. can buy them. Here's link for more info: http://www.armstechltd.com/products.php?id=mm-1[/SIZE]

Out of site and out of mind is the best way because if they know you have it, you have lost half the battle already. My Sportsman 800/1000 sits tucked away in the back of my Expedition where a thief could do a lot more damage than a cheap generator if they broke in trying to get to it.

The old joke was just buy the off brand generator and they will leave it alone. The thing is that is only true for the thief that is looking for something that is easy to sell. In a black out situation it can be any color as long as it produces electricity.

I have always chained mine to the spokes within the wheel of my vehicle. I always bring it inside and out of view when it is not actively being used. During the time it is cooling down, I am watching it physically. I keep my bright, China red Honda 2000 under a thick, black plastic garbage bag daily. I have a name tag on it with my information, and >>>>>INSIDE<<<<< the generator where I go to change the oil, I have the information engraved on the generator.

Remember the days we use to engrave our Social security number on things to I.D. them. heh heh.

I wonder if there is a way to put the generator inside the fenced enclosure I have for Max and electrify it. If not actually electrify it at least make it look like it is connected to the generator and hang HIGH VOLTAGE DO NOT TOUCH signs on it to make the perp think twice about attempting it.

That would make a lot of people these days try and touch it, at least here at Lake Powell! Better off to take some latex paint and make it look like it was covered in bird shit sorta like those ball caps they sell at the beach.

Maybe this one?

67ebf80d428256cd35d9642f61508908.jpg