How to pick the right Van.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleep

Reaction score
Hello Nomadic travelers,

I am now ready to purchase a van! As much as I would like to have a high-top and extended length (doesn't everyone?) I don't think that is in my budget right now.  My priority is to get the best I can for my dollars. I have about 10k, for the van (does not include my cushion) but will include adding solar. I prefer a passenger type because I want windows. Everything else will be basic and I will discuss in a separate thread.  

After reading the different threads here that discuss the pro and cons of various models it has helped in every area except mileage. For example which is better a 2006 Express with 124K miles or a 2002 Express with 114K.  It used to be once a vehicle hit 100K you didn't even consider it, but times have changed and I'm so confused  :huh: ! 

Any advice, thoughts or opinions?

PS This will be my full-time home!

How much will you be driving this van?  Will you be going all over the country in it, or living in it in the same, local area?

If the former, I would want the lowest miles possible.  If the later, that becomes much less important.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
How much will you be driving this van?  Will you be going all over the country in it, or living in it in the same, local area?

If the former, I would want the lowest miles possible.  If the later, that becomes much less important.

Thank you for the response. Plan on being a boondocker at free sites but want to travel as well. This is one van I found today:

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-gmc-savana-1-ton-van/6264645658.html

its seems like almost all of them have 100K+.

It's true.  Very few people get rid of a vehicle these days until after it hits 100k.

My thought is that every vehicle only has so many miles in it before repairs become prohibitively expensive.  The more miles someone else puts on a vehicle, the less miles are left for you to put on. 

So obviously, mileage is much less of an issue for people who don't plan to put a lot of miles on every year.

Check NADA and KBB used vehicle price guides for approximate values. Looks like some body damage at the DS fender and door that might be a problem (open-closing).

BTW: That one is an extended, 1-ton. Do you need that much van?

slow2day said:
Check NADA and KBB used vehicle price guides for approximate values. Looks like some body damage at the DS fender and door that might be a problem (open-closing).

BTW: That one is an extended, 1-ton. Do you need that much van?

Thank you John.

Hello Slow, thanks for catching the damage (my eyes are crossed at this point!) Also don't need the 1-Ton, but extended would be nice. But would the high mileage bother you, other than the damage.

Thanks!

The mileage is below average for the year but it is a 17 yo van. Even with a careful check by a mechanic you could have trouble with it. It's really a crap shoot with older vehicles.

If you are leaving money set aside for solar and maybe some other van improvements I would have a little set aside for maintenance and repairs as well. I would also be putting some money away each month for future repairs.

Between the vans you are looking at I would look to see how well they were maintained. I might take one with a few more miles on it if I thought it was taken care of better then the other. Having a mechanic look it over will give you a good idea of how it was maintained as well as anything that needs to be fixed right now. Finding a big problem with the van is a lot cheaper when you find it before you buy it and not right after.

deadwood said:
If you are leaving money set aside for solar and maybe some other van improvements I would have a little set aside for maintenance and repairs as well. I would also be putting some money away each month for future repairs.

Between the vans you are looking at I would look to see how well they were maintained. I might take one with a few more miles on it if I thought it was taken care of better then the other. Having a mechanic look it over will give you a good idea of how it was maintained as well as anything that needs to be fixed right now. Finding a big problem with the van is a lot cheaper when you find it before you buy it and not right after.

Thank you Slow and Deadwood, I already have money set aside for emergency fund, but figured I might need new tires and other maintenance needs before I hit the road. This is good information and I will heed your advice as I look through CL. I'm more nervous than a long tail cat in a room full of rockers! Lol

~Sherry

This one ton (on CL) will drink heavier than a graduating high schooler! Loaded, you're looking at 11-13mpg.

I'd set 40% of value aside for repairs. $10k = 4k. (I know one man out the gate had to put 3k into his van...no noticeable signs when inspecting).

The choice between 2006 or 2002, I personally would choose 2006.

I'm not afraid of the mileage as a well-maintained van can get upwards 300k (read: well-maintained). Records would ease my mind IF that was done. Also the *method* of those miles; stop and go hard city miles or highway? I was born in the plains country, and it's not unheard of to see upwards 400k on a gas engine (all highway).

CautionToTheWind said:
This one ton (on CL) will drink heavier than a graduating high schooler! Loaded, you're looking at 11-13mpg.

Thank you Caution, had not thought of that! So much great information. I also plan on having a mechanic look at it.

Latest posts