How to insulate the bed of a f150

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy for 2

Reaction score
I'm going to be buying a 05 f150 to hual the bumper puller trailer that we will find eventually but until then we will be living out of the back of the truck if we have to do that come winter how should we insolate the walls of the bed what is the best way to insolate the walls of the bed of the truck I already know how I would insolate the the cap or topper 1/2 inch foam board glued in place with reflectix over that but the walls of the bed are a little more tricky any suggestions

I'm now part time, but I was full time in a truck for 3+ years. I never insulated, and have slept down to minus 15. I avoid that at this point, but I was down to 5 one night this spring. I usually sleep clothed, which makes night time sojourns and the morning wake up easier. I use a sleeping bag like a blanket, but the foot box is nice. I double up when it is cold. In the 5 degree weather I put on my winter jacket as well. In the minus 15 I used a comforter.

Spray foam is the way to go for the sides. What you use as a mattress will make the biggest difference. Avoid air.

Driving south is now my preferred solution!

Why not a box made with foam insulating panels.

I have no experience with this yet but will be finding out soon as I'm building out the bed of my truck for camping. I've invested in a BedRug. Figure if I need more than just that I can add some form of insulation behind the rug bed walls.

If you are willing to spend the money: a plastic, drop-in (not roll-on or spray-in) bedliner, the kind with corrugated bottom and sides, makes the interior of the bed much more comfortable for sleeping in. It provides a barrier to the cold, and then you can pad the floor with a thin layer of foam and/or carpet.

I have this type of bedliner in my pickup bed and it works well.