How to book question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rajendora1

Reaction score
Anyone here seen read heard of experienced this "Mobil Solar Power Made Easy" by William Prowse?   The reviews look good, and I kneed a see jane run level book, and this claims to be a very nice step by step.  

Any other to recommend?  I really don't want to spend money from my "get the box truck" kitty.

Bob Wells has a section on electricity in his book -- unfortunately, that part of the book went clear over my head. I'm going to have to consult an expert if I want to develop my van to that extent.

I love the series Bob has going, but it made me realize I need a book I can consult while I'm upside down and sideways under a cabinet with a soldering iron or something, LOL.  I figure whiile we save up, I have lots of time to learn.  I just found out that what I had in hand would have killed my embroidery sewing machine.  Good thing I had a bad feeling about it all along.  Sewing machine = pure sine converter.

Travelaround you can always come to YARC Camp next year. Jim will be there doing solar builds. I suggest you make a reservation with him. He does stay busy.

Next year? That would give me plenty of time to decide what I want to do. Right now, I can't think much beyond the floor. Thanks for telling me about YARC camp... what general dates will it be?

Rajendora - I don't think how-to books work for me. My mind refuses to comprehend anything that complex. I learn better from videos or, better yet, hands-on experience.

Tonight a couple retired men with carpentry experience looked over my van and we talked about floor issues. I'm going to move on to floor plan B and go back to Home Depot on Tuesday.

Yes, the Will Prowse book is very good, and I recommend it for you. He also has a great Youtube channel, and som of his videos are user friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes it's easier to buy a complete kit, like one from Renogy. It might not be the best power-per-dollar deal, but all the electrical thinking and decision making has been done. It's just a matter of following the instructions. Connect this to that, this other thing to that other thing.

Kits can take the thinking out of solar to the point of presenting a group of components that will function together. They can not however anticipate your needs. You have to be willing to at least understand your needs before you can know what kit to buy.

It would also be good if you understood what was coming in the kit, if it is a complete kit and if it is built to a price point giving you as little as possible in the name of profit.

The last thing is once you find the kit that you think you want, look up each component, see how much it cost and if you can build it for less by ordering the parts separately. This gives you the chance to upgrade the components that they cheeped out on. Heavier wire to avoid line loss. A controller that can be user set or even a MPPT instead of a PWM.

Latest posts