How much space does one person actually need?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcal

Reaction score
How about a couple? I have run into 2 people and 3 dogs in a fullsized van - they definitely felt cramped. I have run into a couple in a 42 foot travel trailer who felt cramped, too. DH and I do well in a 32 ft class A, but if I were alone, I would trade it for  Roadtrek or a 21 ft Freelander. Could not do anything I can't stand up in.

Actually need or want are two different things.

I actually need about as much space as I've got in the van...I need to be able to stand up, cook meals, lounge around, use the toilet etc.

'Could' I want for more space...of course I could! Do I NEED it, not a chance.

But some people 'need' a 4000 square foot home and if you tried to tell them that they don't actually need it, they would argue vehemently with you.

We occasionally look at bigger models, but mostly all they would let us do is haul more junk around. A little more kitchen counter would be nice, but DH is working on a fix for  that. The thing that really bothers me - making up the bed every morning when it is jammed tightly into a slide, actually gets worse in some larger units with deeper slides. It never gets better.

I'm looking (In a year) for a longer van, simply for more room, but not an RV that's too much for me.

gcal said:
How about a couple? I have run into 2 people and 3 dogs in a fullsized van - they definitely felt cramped. I have run into a couple in a 42 foot travel trailer who felt cramped, too. DH and I do well in a 32 ft class A, but if I were alone, I would trade it for  Roadtrek or a 21 ft Freelander. Could not do anything I can't stand up in.

Like most things, it all depends on the person.

I am 6 feet tall and otherwise a big guy.  I can't turn a bed sideways in a van and sleep comfortably so an extended body van is pretty much a requirement so the bed can run length ways along the side wall.

I cook.  Part of my plan is a big change in my diet and cooking and food prep is critically important to my health and budget.  I NEED kitchen space, cook top, prep space, fridge.

Since storms happen I must be able to stand and do basic exercises indoors.  Even if it's only sit ups, push ups, body bends etc.  I have to be able to move about when weather restricts my movement otherwise.

I must have space to work, both computer based and craft based.  I do IT and leather work.  Work space will be a constant struggle of cleaning and putting away between projects.

I am currently looking at 14 passenger vans with a hi-top, short, and mid length school buses.  I just don't see a pre-built RV lasting with me living in it.

Someone who is 5 foot 3, has no requirement for work space and who cooks very little could get away with far less space than me.  If I had to come up with a calculation I would say as far as minimum need goes, 3xpersonal space.  I would define personal space as a rectangle measured head to foot and about 1 and 1/2 times wider than shoulder width.

I once knew a TV Station Manager in my town who had been a Submarine Capt. in the US Navy.   I asked him about living space in his quarters aboard ship just to see what I could learn about the needs of those in confined quarters in such a vehicle. 

He said he liked to have 55 cubic feet of personal space when standing or laying down as personal space.  Then
space for whatever equipment he needed in his quarters for necessary equipment and for another member of personnel.  He stated the Navy had made provisions for what they thought to be necessary and it was usually
ample.   He said about the size of the cargo area of a mini Van with standing room served his needs for space.

As for myself,  I was able to live OK in my early Ford Econoline Van....except for having to stay bent over all the time.  Now that I have a high top life is a breeze, and with it being an extended long wheel base it's like a small home if I were to want to full time.  (still I think I'd outfit a utility trailer as I've described in my Van Conversion website if I were to full time using it as my domicile)   The Trailer for utilities,  the Van for living quarters.

In decent weather an awning can be deployed to expand the space for outdoor space.  And that would be plenty of room for one person and to entertain some guest.

90_E350.jpg

We get along fine in our long van without a high top. We move from one sitting position to another. Not often does weather keep us inside and if so, we read and watch TV for the day.
We've had a motorhome and for us, less is more.

gcal said:
Could not do anything I can't stand up in.

I figure that's what the outdoors are for. ;)

I'm one guy in a standard length, standard roof Chevy van. I'm fine.

Gcal: "The thing that really bothers me - making up the bed every morning..."

NEWSFLASH! You don't have to make the bed except when you change the sheets. Just flip the bedding upward and call it good. And if DH doesn't like it, turn the bedmaking over to him (and see what happens).

I haven't made my bed for something more than 50 years, and no one has died from it. No one has even come back and haunted me about it. One of my uncles did suggest that joining the army probably wouldn't be a good idea, but that was when I was 10 or 12, and he's been dead for a long time. (You would think a smuggler wouldn't even notice things like that...)

Just obsess on the fun stuff and the important stuff. And making beds doesn't fall into either category.

TrainChaser said:
Gcal:  "The thing that really bothers me - making up the bed every morning..."

NEWSFLASH!  You don't have to make the bed except when you change the sheets.  Just flip the bedding upward and call it good.  And if DH doesn't like it, turn the bedmaking over to him (and see what happens).

I haven't made my bed for something more than 50 years, and no one has died from it.  No one has even come back and  haunted me about it.  One of my uncles did suggest that joining the army probably wouldn't be a good idea, but that was when I was 10 or 12, and he's been dead for a long time.  (You would think a smuggler wouldn't even notice things like that...)

Just obsess on the fun stuff and the important stuff.  And making beds doesn't fall into either category.
I have been making my bed every morning for over 60 years. I don't know if I could stop without drugs and therapy.

She'll stand by the bed and stare at me until it's made. :rolleyes:

I have a cover for my comforter and an extra clean one only time i make the bed is when I change comforters takes about 5 minutes. A lot of our habits come down from the Victorian era proper years, sleeping in a cabover makes it difficulter.

A standard cargo van is plenty big for me and my belongings. My bed is twin sized but an extra foot longer. I have a good friend who travels with me occasionally and she has a toddler. Luckily Kim is pocket-size, at 4'9" and 95 pounds. Lol We do fine as long as everything is put back after use. I'm a neat freak; her, not as much. I do have to make my bed as soon as I get up, or I feel like a slob. If I was with someone long-term, the van might feel inadequate in size after awhile.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Gcal: "I have been making my bed every morning for over 60 years. I don't know if I could stop without drugs and therapy."

Well, 'ell! Get going on the drugs and therapy, then! You don't want to waste all that time making beds for the rest of your life. It's called 'life', not 'slavery'. The easy way: just have hubby start making the bed; there are only two rules: 1) You can't comment on his job, or tweak anything to straighten it (that will get you started on your readjustment, and it should help with the twitching); 2) He will stop doing it relatively soon, and by then you should be getting used to not doing it. So don't start again.

[There is a 5-cent charge for this therapy, advice and instruction. I'll collect when we meet.]

Just remember the smaller it is the less time it takes to take care of it and the easier it is to heat and cool it!
Belinda2

"O bury me not..." And his voice failed there
But they took no heed to his dying prayer
In a narrow grave, just six by three
They buried him there on the lone prairie

Which activities a person/couple do can dictate the space needed. As an example, I like mountain biking and my bike need to be inside at all time (read expensive), storing it while living in a minivan is not a good option. If I wanted, I could live with my backpack and just walk but this lifestyle is not meant to be restrictive of your passion, dream, etc. Finding the right space needed is often a trial and error. We are always evolving and what felt right yesterday may not be the best solution tomorrow.

I'm planning on a cargo van and I'm hoping/guessing it will be plenty enough room for me. It will be just me and I'm hoping to be spending as much time outdoors as I can so only plan on sleeping and driving in the van. Of course there will be times that I'll be in it just hanging on the laptop or reading but I don't need much space for that.

Who knows.....my needs could change once I'm living the lifestyle but we'll see.

IMO there are two dependancies:

Personal sense of space.  I need lots of space.  I do my best thinking when walking, I pace when talking on the phone.  I usually have three or four projects going at once (ADD), I spread things out, some of my projects are big.

Outside conditions.  I could do well in a van in Southern California where I could be outside all the time.  A gymnasium would be too small for me in most of Alaska.

Belinda2 said:
Just remember the smaller it is the less time it takes to take care of it . . .
Belinda2

I disagree.  In my 900 sq. ft. S&B I can spread things out and leave them 'til I feel like dealing with them.  In my 60 sq. ft. camper I must stow one project before I start another, so it actually takes me longer.

-- Spiff