How much Rice do you use?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woltz

Reaction score
So personally I use a crap ton of rice in my everyday meals. I haven't got the van yet but when I do, I have a feeling it's not going to change either. So that makes me curious. How much rice do you all carry in your van every time you go out?

I always carry a 10lbs. rice is very versatile, easy to store, and doesn't need refrigeration. highdesertranger

I'm not in charge of the food shopping/making, but my "confused roommate" said we buy 10 pounds and it lasts about a month when we are out in the sticks. This is for 2 people.

What kind of dishes do you like to make\eat?

Cry said:
I'm not in charge of the food shopping/making, but my "confused roommate" said we buy 10 pounds and it lasts about a month when we are out in the sticks. This is for 2 people.

What kind of dishes do you like to make\eat?

Unagi-don is really good (Eel and Rice). I also love to take this Olive Garden dressing and mix it in with some shredded chicken when frying it. Once it's close to ready I take a little more of the dressing, cook it in, and then pour all that on rice. The flavor really seeps into the rice that way. But I like to add some super shredded and dry pork pulp pretty much into the rice and maybe some rice seasoning. There's a Japanese Supermarket nearby so I make a lot of stuff with that. But you can make a lot. Fry some breaded chicken breasts and put that with the rice and some miso soup. A good combo there. Guess it's up to you what you do.

You should invest in a small pressure cooker if you like to cook rice. (There are a couple threads on the topic) it cuts down on the cooking time.  Also soaking your rice overnight with a teaspoon of lemon juice will cut the cooking time in half and make it easier to digest.

I use a lot of the "Ready To Eat" rice packet meals, with other stuff added. I usually have six or eight packets on hand, and it gets replaced three or four weeks later. I also keep a sealed container of Uncle Ben's. It is the best type to use for classic "Egg and Rice".

I've switched to white rice since it cooks a lot quicker than brown. But I try not to eat a lot of it.

I eat more lentils instead. I think they are healthier. The lentils cook quickly (~15 minutes?) after soaking them in water for 8 hours.

I've switched from rice to quinoa. Cooks the same and is very healthy. Actually has protein, but seems like a rice dish.

I use rice a lot when at home and on the road. Also started eating a lot of gluten free pastas. I buy the ones that are only made with brown rice, so it's the same as eating rice. You actually can't even tell the difference between it and regular pasta. Plus it's healthier and cooks much faster than rice.

I normally have a 10lb bag myself as well. White rice. I normally only make 1 cup and that only takes 10 minutes to cook.

Lentils are the only dried legume that needs no soaking before cooking. Combined with rice, it makes a nutritionally complete meal, though bland, needs stuff added for flavor.
I do occasionally get a rice-quinoa mix, which I like. On rare occasions, I eat Jasmine and Basmati rices, though Jasmine has an odd taste. Useless for Eggs&Rice.

Re: a pressure cooker.......rice takes 7 min. and my lentils take 2.5 minutes. Saves lots of fuel !!
P.S. Pinto beans (pre-soaked overnite) take 6.

We carry about 20 pounds in a mylar sealed bag and open it to fill up a two liter bottle. Seal the bag back until next time we need to fill bottle. We use it in a lot of things including the dogs food that my wife makes. Never used rice or pinto beans until we got out west, now we cannot get enough.

I like rice a lot.  But when I was talking to my Doctor during my last physical he was suggesting to me to be careful with it.  He suggested switching from the white & brown I have been keeping in my staples to
"Basmati" rice,  says  it has a lower glycemic index.   Then he told me he had just the day before discovered
another male patient was becoming diabetic and he took him off the rice and orange juice he said he about lived on.  He was telling me to look into substituting Quinoa for rice in my diet.  The health benefits he says are much better.

I agree rice is a great accompaniment to meats, poultry, and fish or when used in desserts.  Easy to keep, use,
and afford.  If you are near being diabetic, white rice, quinoa, buckwheat, whole grain rice, chic peas, and couscous are carbs (if not high in glycemic index) and they don't process by our bodies very well.   If you're healthy the basmati, couscoous, quinoa, and chic peas may otherwise be good choices. 

I know of one man who married an Asian women who cooked white rice for him all the time.  He loved it.  But it wasn't the rice that got him,  it was all the soy sauce.   He had one big heart attack which took him out.  Soy sauce is quite salty.

I buy Calrose rice by the 20 lb bag. It usually lasts the 2 of us about a month. Needless to say, we eat a lot of rice. I either buy Shirakiku, Nishiki or Botan as they are a reasonable quality and relatively cheap (about $1.25-$1.50/lb). The 5 lb bag will cost us about $1.75-$2/lb around here. I can't stand poor quality rice.

We use it for a variety of dishes such as: red beans and rice, gumbo, jambalaya, curry rice, shrimp creole, crawfish etoufee, crawfish bisque, sushi, donburi (like unagidon, oyakodon and ikuradon), Spanish rice, stir fry, side dishes with gravy, peas, etc. or sometimes just a plain bowl of steamed rice with furikake, soy sauce and Japanese pickles. We use a Panasonic computerized fuzzy logic rice cooker for perfect rice every time - well worth the extra cost, but you do need AC power.

Chip

Try to keep 20# in the rig. Brown .Mix it with beans , veggies , shrimp , chicken , crab , lobstah ,,,,,,,just about anything.

As will come as no surprise to anyone familiar with my other threads/posts, I have a fairly strong connection to the "prepper" movement; so I usually purchase rice in 50# bags. Between myself and my dogs(mastiffs), that usually lasts about a month and a half depending on what is mixed with it.

If want just a little plain rice by the serving or two, this one is great. And it's cute to boot!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFLBGKG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A316EAVBH7EI0F

It uses around 200 watts and takes 15 to 20 minutes. You can't beat Japanese rice cookers. I bought my first one in Japan in 1997 and it's still in use. They ain't cheap, but they last a long time and they're great gifts for someone you love (my kids, so they cook for Mumsy).

You can also use them for porridge, congee and veggies. Some you can even make cake with. I love pressure cookers, but they don't do it with rice for me.
Ted

Latest posts